2007 PiP Recap

hurricane

Oh come now... I know you love me Lilly... you kept plying me with cigars! For which I am most grateful!!!! :D:D:D

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did enjoy the trial. You, my dear, are a force to be reckoned with!!! Well done indeed!!

Thanks much for the kind words. Mad Dogge has said he would teach me to take a musket butt to the back for future shackling endeavors which will add to the fun.

My favorite picture thus far was from last year....

pip06-8.jpg

I am hoping someone has a shot from this year of Iron Nigel tossing me down and putting a knee in my chest to get the shackles on me....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I can't say enough good things about all the fine folks I met this year. I can't remember when I've been so sad to leave a place, and so heart-warmed by the kindness of new friends.

A big thanks to my hubby, Amanjiria, for all the work he put into our kit. This was our first real enactment, and he sewed everything from our tents to costume pieces for SEVEN people. He's brilliant...and no doubt a little bit mad. :D And thanks to the rest of the family for the wonderful food and for sharing this experience with us!

Another special thanks to Captain Sterling and Silkie and the Archangel crew for putting up with us as we learned the ropes. You're wonderful people, I can't wait to meet the rest of the bunch. Billie and M.A.d'Dogge were kind enough to let Mae and I monopolize them at the pub Friday night, and they made it a great time for us...I now know where to go if I ever need an oversized dress or a lighter. :D

To everyone who organized this event, or took part- you showed one fledgling piratess a lovely time in Paradise!

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

A big thanks to my hubby, Amanjiria, for all the work he put into our kit.

Another special thanks to Captain Sterling and Silkie and the Archangel crew. Billie and M.A.d'Dogge were kind enough to let Mae and I monopolize them at the pub Friday night, and they made it a great time for us...I now know where to go if I ever need an oversized dress or a lighter. :D

Couldn't have said it any better than my pretty scrap of a sister did. It's a little odd to have your brother-in-law stitching your PC underwear, but he's so darn good at it!

And yes, the Archangel crew was amazing, as were the rest of the colorful folks we met. Billie and M.A.d'Dogge quickly became my favorite pair of mermen, thanks to their good humor and M.A.d'Dogge's offer to let me play with his honest-to-goodness princess-bestowed jingly bits.

Love and good thoughts to you all, is it time for next year's PiP yet??? :D

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

after seeing you play with mine....billie went out and bought a set of "jingly-jangly bits" of his own......for you to play with... :D

Hahee, next year's fest bodes to be a good one :D

MaeBar-1.png

~E. Millay

It was a wonderful event and it gets better every year.

Thank you to Harry and all the wonderful people who helped put it together. I look forward to more adventures with you!!

Sheila forever!

Green, it's not a color, it'a obsession!!!

thanks to their good humor and M.A.d'Dogge's offer to let me play with his honest-to-goodness princess-bestowed jingly bits.

:huh:

That's one of the really good stories I failed to tell in my monologues. If you want to hear it, I guess you'll have to ask M.A.d'Dogge when you go to PiP next year. :huh:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

NO one gets any sleep at PiP except Patrick

Hey... couldn't let the oppertunity O' sleepin' in (as in sleepin' in late...) me hammoc with a wonderfull view O' th' beach an' camp go ter waste..........

Hammoc.............. some canvas , rope and a little work, about $20.00

Sail/tarp.............. more canvas , rope and a little more work, about $40.00

Camping on the beach in Key West at PiP...... priceless

BTW, aside from not having enough time to actually sit and chat with you Patrick, I will be pming you soon regarding your set up... it was WONDERFUL!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

For all you hands on archeologists....

Having particiated in the Walk the Plank contest and then participating in the ship wreck photos, this may be of interest to some of the Twillies that attend PiP.

During the Walk the Plank, got wet swimming in wool breeches....

During the photo shoot, got wet swimming in wool slops/trousers....

Swimming in the trousers was sooo much easier... so for anyone planning for the contest next year.... I highly recommend trousers over breeches....

Crewe of the Archangel

. . . The sunset cruise onboard the Wolf.  Not only did I shoot my first weapons with Stynky. . . , but hamming it up with Stynky for the other passengers was priceless :o . . .

Me Dear Dear Lily, The pleasure be all mine Lass and you always be welcome ta play and fire off me pistol - anytime. :(

Ah...ye know I be right... ah what was that little comment? Gee my crew isn't lifting a finger to come rescue me... Patrick didn't even wave?

Crewe of the Archangel

. . . The sunset cruise onboard the Wolf.  Not only did I shoot my first weapons with Stynky. . . , but hamming it up with Stynky for the other passengers was priceless :lol: . . .

Me Dear Dear Lily, The pleasure be all mine Lass and you always be welcome ta play and fire off me pistol - anytime. :lol:

Why Stynky, you sweet talker........................ :lol::lol:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Brig and I heard someone playing Pachelbel's Canon in D as well as Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on a violin in the fort on Friday night as we crossed the green to the tavern. Any idea who the musician may have been? It was beautiful! Props to them.

MaeBar-1.png

~E. Millay

I so wish that the Crewe of the Archangel had been allowed to assemble their gallows. It would have been a sight to see, someone dancing a hemp jig for the crowd. Maybe next year?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

It will be up and "running" next year... at least after hours for the reenactors.

Be prepared to bid for the poor wretch's personal goods afterwards...

Crewe of the Archangel

I thought the gallows would've made an excellent addition. So did my boss, the park manager. His boss, though, is the one who nixed the idea. So, what we've already discussed wit the gallows crew is to secure stills and/or movie clips demonstrating what it's all about, i.e., the safety and such. That way I will have more ammunition to present to our district chief. Apparently one concern was the impression the gallows would leave on children. Bah, I say--turn on the ion bombardment tube at any time and see what kids are watching. The gallows are "G" comparitively speaking. In talking with the gallows crew, I'm satisfied they cover all the necessary safety aspects and their follow-up explanations with the public on how it all works are perfect.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I thought the gallows would've made an excellent addition. So did my boss, the park manager. His boss, though, is the one who nixed the idea. . . Apparently one concern was the impression the gallows would leave on children. . . the ion bombardment tube . . . The gallows are "G" comparitively speaking. . .

I don't know Harry, I think I'd have ta agree with the Commodore on this one. . . I mean that last Pirates oov the Caribbean movie where they hang the town folk, some of them bein' children were bloody awful - horrific and really should 'ave been rated arrr.

Sorry for the bad pun, I joost couldn’t resist. . . and I’m just kidding of course.

I think it's a fine representation. I saw that some of the battle re-enactments don't allow anyone to fall down anymore because children might be upset. Geez, it's history. People died in battles. People were hung. People were stretched on the rack. How the hell do we teach kids history if we sanitize everything. I agree Harry, there's nothing we can do that's worse than children see every day.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

We are currently putting together a reference list and would be happy to add in the pictures and some sort of video. We have a number of museums that are only too happy to recommend our hangings (the guys have been doing them now for about 12 years or more)...as to the kids... they are usually the first to start yelling "Hang Him!!!" and they almost all stick around to see how the stunt is accomplished. Kids are amazing individuals really... once they see the rigging, to them it becomes purely a movie stunt and no longer someone dying.

It's rough having to haul the gallows around and have a last minute change like that, just to let it be known, none of us are upset with Harry. I have dealt with the park service before. .. especially during the bicentennial and they just have some rather strange rules which sometimes they enforce and sometimes they don't. If we can make the hangings work next year all the better, if not, we shall still do it after hours for the reenactors.

Crewe of the Archangel

In talking with the gallows crew, I'm satisfied they cover all the necessary safety aspects and their follow-up explanations with the public on how it all works are perfect.

The first time I saw the gallows stunt, and not that long ago, I was very impressed, with both the quality of the performance and the lengths taken to explain how this is accomplished through special effects, and how dangerous it is to wrap or lift by the neck.

I'm sure once a highlight video is put together, the care and concern that goes into the performance will be made clear.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum