Play by play at PiP

Maeve O'Treasaigh

Hello all.

William is dictating events to me by phone as I type this. He departed at 12:59am this morning and arrived at 5 minutes to 11:00am in Key West. It rained earlier this morning and is now a balmy 72 degrees. The Callahan's are already at the fort and are setting up tarps. The supplies that people ordered are stacking up in Harry's office, ready for them when they arrive.

William is currently being picked up by the Callahan's who graciously offered to give him a ride from the airport. They'll be picking up supplies at Home Deport today and William will continue to make updates and reports on those arriving as he can. He is looking forward to meeting everyone and is very enthusiastic, despite his severe lack of sleep (awake for 41 hours finishing the Mercury draughts, which he has with him).

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bone Island Crew is there and they are painting signs and building exhibit stuff for events such as a knife throwing contest and other things. They are also working on the tavern setup.

The weather has gone from balmy to sticky hot and the air is very still.

The crew of the Sacred Heart has 6 members currently in attendance. Mission had arrived from the Detroit area.

The Callahan's have already gone around town on bicycles, delivering posters and flyers for the event to advertise.

All of the benches and the stage are set up for the Anne & Mary trial.

The Mercury Crew camp position has not yet been determined. At this point, when you arrive it is advised that you seek out the Callahan's or William or Harry to find out exactly where the camp will finally be located. All in all, things are progressing nicely.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

Well, for those concerned with the Mercury camp, the camp site has been chosen! You got the site you wanted! It's fully shaded and located south and west of the fort with a southern and western view of the Atlantic and a northern view facing the battlefield. You will have access to the BBQ pits, open fire pits and picnic tables. So Patrick, William wants you to know you will have more than your pick of trees to choose from for your hammock.

One significant snag though. For those who MUST have electricity there is none available by the beach where the Mercury Camp is. They will make an attempt to run a significant amount of power cords out that way but it may not be possible. SO you may also have to be willing to relocate to the fort or the modern camping area.

- Maria Robinson

We are busy getting ready. We are in Kissimmee and we just picked our rental. Getting ready to start packing the cars up. We'll be there around 9 or 10am tomorrow. Can't wait, I'm hoping we can get some electricity I need to have access for the camera gear to keep the batts charged.

PS I should have internet access when we get there. So we can post pictures too.

It's a cool site (I helped scout it with William) . Scattered leaning Australian Pines dot the sand. (The park folks don't seem to fond of them, but they look neat, all leaning away from the water (and the wind). Should be a nice breeze coming off the water for all your folks who'll be tenting there. You'll be moving little white rocks around, though.

I'm off to deliver a pic file to the crew. (For those of you who scoff at the hotel denizens, I have two words: Free WiFi. At least I think those are two words. Also - A/C. :D )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Patrick, William wants you to know you will have more than your pick of trees to choose from for your hammock.

Cool.......

Not sure bout the rain tho.....(not bringing the oil cloth....) awh heck... the sail/tarp should be enough fer that...........

I'm gettin up at 3:00 tomarrow.... then picking up Carol..... we will be flying outta Sacramento..... figure I should be ther sometime tomarrow early evening........

Outstanding.

For those of us tha cannot go, this is great. Thanks Maeve and everyone keeping us "in the loop".

:D

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Good Morning from Key West.

My hubby Keith and I arrived yesterday and are staying at the Southernmost Hotel. We tried to get into the fort last night but couldn't find anyone to let us in. (It was kind of late. Sorry)

If anyone has medical supplies that need refrigeration, we are about 10 minutes from the fort and you are welcome to use our mini frig.

We'll be heading off to the fort shortly, looking forward to meeting you all there.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Is there sufficient trees to string up a hammock? I just happened upon one as I was packing.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I would like to offer my thanks as well to Maeve. This is such a great idea, and lets those of us who couldn't make the trip get a chance to enjoy, through the others, the fun. :D

Now, can't wait for pictures! :D

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Is there sufficient trees to string up a hammock? I just happened upon one as I was packing.

Quite. There are a great many trees (all leaning in the same direction.)

Report from the Mercury camp...Silkie and Captain Sterling arrived and set up camp. Captain Red Wake(and assistants) painted a HUGE freaking banner with the Pub Logo (the little bendy skull with crossed sort of bendy swords) that there is some plan to circulate around the various pirate events at which pub members are in attendance. It is really neat. Also met Haunting Lily and her husband today. Several folks stained the lanterns William bought for the event. Aminjiria and what I believe is his entire extended family showed up and staked camp. They then proceeded to make food for everyone in the site (except us vegetarians...alas.) Willie Wobble set up the neatest spread I think I have seen (he has a very comfy looking cot). The crew is forming up!

They're planning a Duval Crawl/advertising campaign tonight in full kit. Alas, I don't have any shoes yet and couldn't scrounge any up, so I am going to dinner at my restaurant in town. Cheers from Key West.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow.

Arriving tomorrow.

And I'm bringing the powder. Who's got guns?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

yo cheecky....i am leavin in the morn...6:30 fight from Port D-troit...madmary is leavin about the same time ffrom chicago....and poor poor Tiger Billie is already at the airport in L.A....flyin out about 12:01 am....

I'll be gitttin there about 12:30pmish...billie around 3pm...and madmary & hubby sometime that eveining from miami.......

now lets see if i can just git everything i packed on board.....reallyreallyreally close to that darn weight restriction.....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

so...ok......woke up at 4ish....good....kissed the wife & duaghter goodbye....good....got to the airport by 5 ish for my 6:40 am flight...goog....figured there would be a explanation needed for all me gear...good.....no problem...couldnt fit all me gear... a bit heavy.....bad....wearring my hat and sea coat....good....had a luggage handler git me to the very front of the line...good.....found out my flight to keywest .... :lol: ...had been cancelled... :lol: ...bad...very bad

they(northwest) sent me to delta...could still catch same time flight...good....only had a 1 baggage check policy....bad...(i got 2 heavy bags)....very bad.....sent me back over to northwest.....found a flght at 9:40am....good....now have a 3 hour wait....bad...but still gittin to keywest...good...very good.... :ph34r:

since i had so many changes ....gott special picked for extra seceruity...bad....they performed a hands on check in my luggage....bad...had to explain the flintlocks...bad....swords...bad...knives...bad....boarding axes....bad...bad,...bad.....they looked up at me and said..."what, are you a pyrate???"....i said ...as i am standing there in my sea jacket and wearring a tricorn with plum clutching a fiddle....."nope"...."""just from Detroit...this is how everyone travels......."""" <_< ......bad....

now after my quick cavity search.....dont think that guy was a real dentist....badbadbadbdabbad.........really bad........ive succesfully made it to te terminal....good.....now i just sit an wait.....3 hours....bad.....

i wonder when the bar opens up????.....ahhhhh.....goood.... :ph34r:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I always take American into Key West. Northwest has it's talents (Detroit is a hub), but Key West isn't among them. Bad Northwest. :lol:

I was hanging around with Haunting Lily and her husband Keith last night. Several of us spent a rousing couple of hours hanging around inside the cavernous section of the fort designated as the tavern for the event (which echoes just nicely) and telling ghost stories (yellow fever, yellow fever, yellow fever. Nope, nuthin') and suchlike. After that, we repaired to the Mercury camp and spent another rousing hour sharing haunted house room ideas (turns out Mr. Red Wake also has a HH checkered past. Lily and Keith...well, they've got some keen ideas on the topic. So far, I've established decided links between Pyrate re-enactors and haunted houses and pyrate re-enactors and belly dancing. Very curious, that.) Keith, Lily and I were driving out the gate and whom should we come across but the good Patrick Hand hiking up the long and winding road to the fort with all his gear on his back. So we turned back around and Lily, the gate-keeper, opened that gate so we could save Patrick from further worn soles. He planned to string up (er, sorry) his hammock in the multi-farious Aussie Pines for the evening.

This is shaping up nicely. (Plus Patrick brought me his cool planter's hat which he sold me for a very fair price. Now I will wear it everywhere including to bed. Ok, maybe not... Anyone want to buy a size 7-1/8 tri-corn? It was only worn once on the way to church. <_< ) Following a bracing meal of eggs and the insanely good hash browns at Blue Heaven restaurant, Keith, Lily and I are heading back for another day of set-up. The weather is currently overcast and we seem to have had a night of rain. I wonder how Patrick faired in his hammock?

It was all about preparation yesterday. People continued to trickle into the Mercury camp and the various tents grow in detail (and backstory). Bilge Monkey arrived midday in preparation for his sail on the Wolf which sails out of Historic Key West Harbor. Captain Jim showed up at dusk and set up his Oar House (a tent with oars for poles) and much merriment ensued as we bandied about that name. Our Quartermaster (for he is not captain as I said previously) William Red Wake was everywhere doing everything as near as I can tell. Willie Wobble, the Mercury's cook as it turns out, set up an impressive display of cookware, utensils and whatnot...lots of whatnot. The man has an eye for detail. He was making twine (?) coverings for some of his bottles during the day. One of them had a label made up for the festival which I thought was a neat touch.

Haunting Lilly spent quite a bit of time sewing up button holes. She and Keith brought a whole array of haversacks and bags that they made which were really nice. Keith also made a whole variety of rope fids (sharp pointy stick!) before he left home on his drill press (!). He gave me one when I was searching for a much-needed sharp stick. I stuck it in my new planter's hat along with a clay pipe I bought in the fort.

We had a safety meeting in the afternoon. Apparently there are going to be quite a number of cannon at the event when it begins. William said that they are always looking for cannoneers, so I am hoping to get over there early enough for the firearm and cannon discussion this morning. (How many barber-surgeons can say they've fired a cannon?) The strategies for the various battles to take place on Saturday and Sunday were discussed - apparently it's win some/lose some for your pirates.

Inside the Fort Taylor, the vendors and the local pirate club - the Bone Island Buccaneers - continued setting up an impressive array of merchant shops. I understand we're to take the fort on Sunday after the trial. (Do we get to loot the city as well There is some nice stuff in those booths...)

Ten of us repaired to the Rum Barrel restaurant after sunset (which was beautiful last night - especially in the calm solitude of the park where you get an unobstructed view). Patrick Hand and Old Man from the Sea got into a discussion that ranged far and wide. William followed bits and pieces of this involved and somewhat impassioned discussion that included everything from the big bang theory to the CA park black powder laws.

Lots to see and do and today promises to be even moreso. I have been studying my role and am now a font of useless knowledge on 17th century medicine. (Anyone want to know about scurvy?) Hopefully I can focus a bit more on the details of the event and future posts can be focused a bit more on the local pirate color. Because there's lots of color here in Key West right now.

I have been studying my role and am now a font of useless knowledge on 17th century medicine. (Anyone want to know about scurvy?)

Oh, please keep me posted about what you find out on the aspect of medicine. How exciting.

I hope Every One is having a Wonderful Time. Hugs to All!

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I have been studying my role and am now a font of useless knowledge on 17th century medicine. (Anyone want to know about scurvy?)

Oh, please keep me posted about what you find out on the aspect of medicine. How exciting.

I hope Every One is having a Wonderful Time. Hugs to All!

Here is what I've learned: Read the book Rough Medicine by Joan Druett. While it's about 100 years past GAoP, it gets a lot of its info from the John Woodall's book The Surgeon's Mate which was written in the mid 1600s and was used up through the late 1800s on the sea. (Perhaps when I get home to my full-sized keyboard, I will share some of the things I have rehearsed - I picked the most fantastic, gory and typical topics: scurvy, shipboard wounds, things that happen as a result of being in port (quite a bit of VDs, that's what), how an amputation was done, mercury poisoning...but I digress from the thread topic.

Today was the first full day of the event. It was very sunny and pleasant weather. The camp looked very periodey until this crew from who knows where came in and set up a circus tend and a series of pup tents...with electric lighting. Oh, well...notes for the rules for next year. Mary Diamond, her husband Mark and a friend I don't remember the name of arrived. She had my wonderful little mini-Medicine Chest with her and I proceeded to paste labels on the bottles and weather them in preparation. (I will post pics as soon as I get back to home port.) Haunting Lily generously gave me a haversack for my bandages and medical instruments - which it turns out I didn't really need today. More on that later (I beat you to the pub, William). We found Stynky Tudor walking up the path to the fort, so Keith (Haunting Lily's husband) gave him a lift. He joined Patrick Hand, his boss and myself who had been rescued by Keith on the way back from the sundries shop.

There were a dozen or so vendors inside the fort selling all manner and sorts of things from food to candy to jewelry to ren-faire type clothing to a wonderful little shop that had these cool green onion bottles that seem to be all the rage. With knotted twine encasing them, you have a nifty replacement for a mug. There was also a neat booth that is a hodge-podge of stuff that is sort of like the Pyrate's Own Garage Sale. The Pyrat Pub run by the Port Royal crew officially opened at 3pm to much bell wringing and noise - which was followed much bold singing and noise inside the Pub. It closed at 5pm, but is scheduled to unofficially re-open later tonight (and may be open now for all I know because I'm sitting here writing posts and deleted spam) for all the folks staying in the park (and those of us who know the combination to get in the front gate. Heh.)

I met several people from the Port Royal crew including Hurricane, Diosa and Master Studley. Turns out MS makes props for a living so we had a nice chat. At 5pm, all repaired to the docks just outside the park for the Plank Walking contest at the End of Hurricane season party. Several of our fellows participated in the event which was put on by the Pirates of the Coast (Hurricane's group). Our QM, William Red Wake, decided to join in much against the surgeon's suggestion, with his wool waistcoat on - very much against the surgeon's suggestion. I took many photos with his camera, so you may get to see that. (Note: he said he really should have followed the ship's surgeon's advice and removed the wool waistcoat. Captain Sterling and Amanjiria also participated and I got a bunch of photos of them as well. The prize winners wound up being M.A.D.Dogge and his brother who forwent the pleading for their life ceremony and sword fought on the plank before both fell in - swords and all. (Polish them blades tonight me boys. There's a battle tomorrow.)

Speaking of battles, there was one today that we retreated back from. Not that I would know because your humble, pressed-into-service ship's surgeon was missing. (I plead my belly...oh, wait.) Anyhow, more on that later - it's time for dinner with some members of the crewe.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here is what I've learned: Read the book Rough Medicine by Joan Druett. While it's about 100 years past GAoP, it gets a lot of its info from the John Woodall's book The Surgeon's Mate which was written in the mid 1600s and was used up through the late 1800s on the sea. (Perhaps when I get home to my full-sized keyboard, I will share some of the things I have rehearsed - I picked the most fantastic, gory and typical topics: scurvy, shipboard wounds, things that happen as a result of being in port (quite a bit of VDs, that's what), how an amputation was done, mercury poisoning...but I digress from the thread topic.

Thank you so much dear, sir. I am looking forward to your knowlegge and thoughts on what you have rehearsed and found concerning the medical practices. I will hopefully be able to find the books you have suggested as well.

Please tell Every One I said "Hallo" and that I am looking forward to their stories and pics.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Oyyyy....far too much rum tonight . (Fyne single-malt rum what I bought for Lily and Kieth only to pass it 'round to me new mates.) I've only just arrived in and if the misspellings flow freely...well, maybe I'll fix them on the morrow. We (William, Lily, Keith and I) got back from dinner at Abondanza's (I think) where the waitress was the same as at Blue Heaving this morning and what called out to me. Lily assured me that she was sweet on me, but I demurred. Your own ship's surgeon (or the Mercury's own ship's surgeon) is saving 'imself for his second marriage. Or something. Anywho....

We went to the Pyrat Pub and...folks...you have to see it to believe it. The POTC 'set' for Tortuga (Aye, Tortuaga!) has nothing on this. It was like being in the Pirate's own cave with singing, dancing and revelry far beyond what you think it might be. Mercury's old sawbones Mission found his own self joining in the singing, much against his upbringing. The mood, the candle lighting, the singing and the noise compelled one to join in. I may even post in Sea Shanties...probably not, but you never know.

We then repaired to the Mercury camp where we proceeded to abolish several bottles of rhum. I had a rather lengthy discussion with Patrick and some people from the Tortuga Pirates (or some such) by the name of Weird Beard and Leather Back and some other well-met fellowe. Weird Beard (all the colors had been taken) sold me a mug and gave me the whole tale of the glass bottomed tankard (bloody English rapscallions) which included a draught of spiced rhum which I readily accepted. The frivolity lasted until...sometime before now. Then your poor ship's surgeon found his vision swimming and his gait listing and headed for the safe confines of the hotel room. Water's all around; belay that hangover.

Hum. I haven't got to why I missed the battle. Tis a long tale, but I'll try to tell it later. Right now, the screen is squeamish. Wish everyone on the pub were all about for a look at the tavern. It was truly incredible - the sights, sounds, smells and drink to be experienced. It was like being transplanted right into the pyrate era. XXOOXX from a drunk Mission staring at a swimming screen. Wish you were here, if only to see how it probably was. :o

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG