Man vs Wild

Will Fiddle

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/seri...0.25268.32074.x

Bear Grylls travels through Panamanian jungle to find the Camino Real.

He moves through some real crap. I was reminded of Lionel Wafer immediately. When Bear is in the Mangroves as the tide comes in, we get to see how deadly the challenges were that faced sea raiders when they went ashore.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

Yep, pretty neat show. I read something about how he doesn't actually do all the stuff himself -- his crew helps him, and stuff like that -- but it's still cool. "SurvivorMan" with Les Stroud is great, too.

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Oooh, I did not know there was a program on Discover. I will have to watch for it. I enjoy watching "SurvivorMan" with Les Stroud.

Thanks. I'll be sure to watch the program now on Discover with Bear Grylls.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/seri...0.25268.32074.x

Bear Grylls travels through Panamanian jungle to find the Camino Real.

Saw it last night. Twas a real tricky bit. I don't think I'd be wantin to do that just for fun.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

I prefer Survivorman. Les Stroud actually goes out into the wild by himself and shows realistic ways of surviving various situations and how to avoid the more dangerous situations. Also, he doesn't over-dramatize things and has this great self-deprecating humour. And he lets you see when things don't quite go as planned.

On Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls travels with a support crew who sets up and builds everything for him while he sleeps in hotels. He picks the most difficult and dramatic way to get from point A to point B, even when there are better ways of doing it and then over-dramatizes the situation even more (watch him leap over a two-foot wide stream as if it were a life-threatening situation and you'll see what I mean...) It's too much like Jackass for me.

I'm not really fond of those reality shows that over-dramatize situations and make people seem more mean and unpleasant than they probably are - I'm a pragmatist and in my opinion, life's too short for that stuff. That being said, those kind of over-dramatic reality shows appeal to a lot of people, so my opinion does seem to be in the minority.

RHJMap.jpg

Also, he doesn't over-dramatize things and has this great self-deprecating humour.

One of my favorite things is when he's eating grubs or maggots or generally icky food and remarks on how he would rather starve than eat that, how terrible it tastes, etc.

Bear Grylls just talks about how "it's an excellent source of protein!"

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Les Stroud has eaten scorpions - he doesn't balk at any source of food. Heck - in the episode with the dog sled, he had to take some extremely questionable meat from the dogs, but he just boiled it and seasoned it with willow and some other plant.

If he finds something tasty, it's an almost orgasmic experience for him.

RHJMap.jpg

Go to youtube and type in a search for ManvsWild. They show alot of the clips that didn't make it to tv.

Kinda puts to two shows into perspective.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I find the survival stuff interersting, but what really got my attention was the way that Bear was working through the terrain that Morgan and others traversed 300+years ago. That is some nasty terrain today, and I don't imagine it was better then.

Having read Wafer and others, it was neat to see what they were talking about.

Reading period pieces, it always amazed me (though it is so logical as to not surprise for long) how much of the maritime narratives were dedicated to survival.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

I find the survival stuff interersting, but what really got my attention was the way that Bear was working through the terrain that Morgan and others traversed 300+years ago.  That is some nasty terrain today, and I don't imagine it was better then.

Agreed. Those Mangroves did look nasty, and even though there is a lot controversy around his authenticity, he has some good points and the show is exciting to watch.

Red handed Jill said:

I prefer Survivorman. Les Stroud actually goes out into the wild by himself and shows realistic ways of surviving various situations and how to avoid the more dangerous situations.

I will go for that too. Shows you what a "normal" person should do if he should find himself in a situation while having an outdoor adventure. I would agree that his advice makes more since as I find myself being more capable of pulling off what he does to get out of a situation instead putting myself in a situation that may cause myself even more harm than I am already in. Referring to the same episode as Will but a little earlier in the broadcast, You wouldn't catch me going in to cavern unless it is the only way out, especially when there is plenty of daylight out.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg