Ships plans and blueprints.

Nigel

Ahoy mates.

I be “in the market, as it were,” for blueprints of ships from the age of Piracy; specifically, a Spanish Galleon, Brigantine, Sloop or Schooner, and possibly a Ketch or Pinnace.

While reviewing a book on Geoff Hunt’s phenomenal maritime paintings, I ran across several examples of projecting a three-view of a ship from the blueprints. This is right down my alley, with my background as a technical illustrator.

These could be of actual ships that existed in history, or of contemporary replicas, or even ships from Hollywood movies (not limited to POTC.)

For each type of ship, I would need a plan view (eye level) and an overhead view, with a front- or rear-view of the hull. These need to be of high enough resolution and size (around 8.5” x 11”) to plot a three-view drawing of a decent size to be used in finished drawings and/or paintings.

Any sources or information on where to find such blueprints or drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

For Bermuda Sloop, Brigatine, & Schooner... plans are in the book:

Search for Speed Under Sail by Howard Chapelle. These vessels did

not vary in design much. Plans are very good & you can photocopy / enlarge to your desired scale. Chapelle was the maritime curator at the Smithsonian. You can locate this book with: www.bookfinder.com. Price ranges from $10-40.

Also, you can check out the link below for their plans. Kinda fun just to view.

http://www.bestscalemodels.com/index.html

This site has some galleys: http://www.all-model.com/

Best regards to ye

You might also want to contact the currently sailing replicas for blueprints. I've seen the ones for the Lady Washington, and they used to offer photocopies of selected ones for modelers. I'm sure they'd be able to photocopy them, and since they were used for the full sized ship, they would probably be more than adequate for your purposes. I'd imagine that any of the vessels built in the last 20 years or so (at least) would have them. Others might have plans drawn up after the fact, or be based on historical plans that can be found. Mystic Seaport in CT has a vast library of ship plans, and I believe that the maritime museum in Greenwich, Engand has the largest collection of period ship plans in the world (or so I've heard). As a side note for Mystic Seaport, I know a shipwright in Alaska who builds aluminum boats based on a design he found at Mystic Seaport of a 1930's fishing vessel. Bottom line, though, they're out there. Heck, the United States Navy might even have some tucked away of early vessels. Speaking of that, the USCG historian might have some plans of early vessels from the Revenue Cutter Service, which would likely be similar to many pirate vessels of the day. Good luck, and post pictures as you get this project underway!

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

A good source for early USN ship plans can be found in Howard Chapelle's book: The History of the American Sailing Navy (1959). Many detailed plans & prints. Even has some of the early Revenue Cutter plans (the 1798 Diligence II class). The index gives a brief description of the ship, number of guns, and important historical associations. Really a must for any with a zeal for maritime history. Can often be found at used book stores or try BookFinder.com

Best to all!

• 2 weeks later...

While in Ket West, I was fortunate to get a recommendation to visit the book shop on Fleming St, where if found the book "Nelson's Ships - A History of the Vessels In Which He Served" with details of more than 25 ships, including blueprints.

:lol:

SCORE!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"