Background Scenario

Capt. Sterling

The Pardon

Mercury has anchored at the end of the island in order to careen. The Wolf sails at a safe distance off shore to try and draw attention away from the Mercury.

Redcoat camp is on high alert, reports of pirates some where off shore...sailing under cover of night.

Archangel is in port in order to obtain Letters of Marque, from redcoats’ officer, to hunt pirates...

The gallows are set up in a mid point area, not in any one camp, to serve as the town commons.

The royal governor has issued a pardon to any pirates willing to accept it….(this allows all camps to intermingle during most of the day without looking too odd) unbeknownst to the pirates and even the pirate hunters, the British soldiers are NOT going to honor the pardon at the end of the day.

During the day, camp life will continue in the careening camp and in the red coat camp, so demos regarding careening and British military of the times should be planned for.

Due to the issue of the pardons, The Mercury camp feels free to conduct their careening although they would be on their guard at all times.

Merchants feel free to try and trade wares with the pirates and even the redcoats/pirate hunters can mingle freely in all camps…Which opens the door to all sorts of scenarios… EVENTUALLY, one pirate, Tiger Bill, refusing to take the King’s pardon, starts trying to incite the others to follow suit… He is captured and put on a quick trial for sedition. He will be hanged until dead in the late am as a warning to others who may foolishly wish to follow his example. (his twin will carry on for the rest of the day)

This allows arguments to continue all day long between those wishing to accept the King’s pardon and those wishing to not give up their pirate ways. This allows for duels/fist fights, what have you, breaking out for spectators who come and go during the day.

For instance, Sterling being a privateer turned pirate hunter, is at odds with two of his own men, Maddogge and Tiger Bill (the twin) who, although currently serving on the Archangel, used to do quite a bit of pirating before… A sword fight will break out between Archangel crew members but will be stopped before anyone is killed, by William Red Wake. Brand and Sterling are old acquaintances. Sterling will be trying to convince William to quit his life as a pirate, etc… these types of small scenarios will be encouraged to start up/occur when ever there are spectators about… or if anyone just wants to role play during the day.

Careening/camp life continues...all sorts of smaller scenarios can take place during the camp... a dispute settled by a knife fight, careening work, hunting/fishing, gamboling and even the occasional drunk pirate on the beach, being reprimanded by one of the other pirates who is actually working...etc...

The tension will build through out the day regarding the pardons, finally leading to the Redcoats turning the tables on everyone. Now that they have all these pirates gathered together in one place, they rescind the offer of the pardons, instead placing all under arrest… a battle breaks out, some flee to the beach where the Wolf can join in the fight providing cover for escaping pirates.

The battle will result in a stalemate, where most of the pirates fight and escape and the redcoats capture a few pirates such as William Red Wake and Patrick Hand. Sterling will attempt to set Red Wake and Hand free… they escape, the dumb blond gets caught instead and is taken to be hanged. Red Wake and Hand regroup the pirates for another fight and return to rescue Sterling. As Sterling is turned off, all hell breaks loose in another all out battle between the redcoats and the pirates… redcoats are defeated! Hangman is killed, Sterling falls to the ground and is rescued. Pirates take over the town for the evening….

Of course several smaller battle scenarios can break out at any time(scheduled)...redcoats vs pirates.......and everyone can have a part according to their impression......

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Captain Sterling,

Would ye be needin' any actual paper letters of marque or pardons etc? I have parchment that I will be bringing, and we can do them up after your crewe arrives or if you would like to email or pm me with specifics, I can have them ready. We also have a number of wax seals and wax that can be done or brought. We have a very wide selection of fonts as well.

Let me know what ye think.

Fayma

I have a few Letters of Marque, but the pardons would be needed...and thank you ever so much for the offer!! I shall email you some specifics....if I can actually find an actual pardon to copy....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The information is on its way... email. Again, thank you!

Crewe of the Archangel

Capt. Sterling that sounds really do-able.....

Maybe if there was some wording in the Pardons that we could "bicker" about ?

Kinda like some of the wording the U.S. Government wanted the Japanees Internies sign during WWII.... Basicaly it said that they had to give up all ties and alegience to Japan.... but many of them felt that it was more of a trap and a confession that they suported the Japanees Government's war efforts.....

So what if it sounds like a pardon, but if we sign it, we can be hung for other "crimes".......

"I ain't signin' it... lookit this part here.....an' here......."

NOTICE to ALL Men-Folk ~

I would like to humbly request, on behalf of myself and other like-minded ladies, that we be included in the scenarios! Silkie and myself are working on some ideas for ourselves, to be posted when ironed out ~ which will potentially require significant Male interaction. :D

OI! I saw your eye's glazing over! Pull your mind out of the gutter! :D

Interested Pirates, Hunters and Reds may State Interest Here.

:lol:

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Aw man, this makes me want to go even more! Well, there's always next year.

This makes me wonder, how much of PiP is "in character?" Like outside of the big scenarios, is there a lot of just down-time roleplaying (and I don't mean pulling out some old D&D books)?

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

The pirate camp last year was very small so there was very little role playing going on. I am glad that there will be more of us and additional scenarios. Last year the only role playing to be had surrounded the capture and trial of Ann Bonnie and Mary Reed.

Which also makes me think ...anyone going down early ...we should also be planning scenarios in the town to generate interest for the weekend. However I am an actor not a director :lol::lol: ...anyone care to take the lead on this one also?

Aw man, this makes me want to go even more! Well, there's always next year.

This makes me wonder, how much of PiP is "in character?" Like outside of the big scenarios, is there a lot of just down-time roleplaying (and I don't mean pulling out some old D&D books)?

The entire Port Royal encampment will be in character in the pub we will be representing. We all have backgrounds and personas and have gone through a rehearsal or two. It should be a lot of fun discussing politics of the time, playing period gambling games, eating period foods and such. Plus we're demonstrating how to squeeze sugar cane and our cook is going to take it and make candy with the coconuts and bananas we have in tow from the back yard.

Plus the tryal of Anne and Mary is a sight to behold. Of course, my wife plays Mary so I have say that... Nah, I've seen if for five years now and it's always a joy to watch and is one of the highlights of the festival.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Capt. Sterling that sounds really do-able.....

Maybe if there was some wording in the Pardons that we could "bicker" about ?

Kinda like some of the wording the U.S. Government wanted the Japanees Internies sign during WWII.... Basicaly it said that they had to give up all ties and alegience to Japan.... but many of them felt that it was more of a trap and a confession that they suported the Japanees Government's war efforts.....

So what if it sounds like a pardon, but if we sign it, we can be hung for other "crimes".......

"I ain't signin' it... lookit this part here.....an' here......."

Mr. Hand, the wording is to be a copy of the Sept 5, 1717 proclamation regarding the suppression of the pirates... currently over in a thread in Twill.. Thanks to Capt. Enigma.

The wording is pretty clear cut, more of a take the pardon or get hanged. But wording or not, it all comes down to if you are willing to give up the life of a pirate that you have chosen. If you take the King's pardon, think ye that ye will not be known for your past exploits? Will the merchant captains be willing to give such as yerself a job with wages knowing of yer past? Will ye be willing to give up the possible "freedoms" ye enjoyed, the more democratic world ye may have moved in? Will ye be able to put yer shoulder to the grindstone, taking orders that ye may not have had a say in, living on the wages yer granted? Or would it be worth it to try and turn yer wretched life around? Be able to walk the streets of London etc, without the fear of being discovered and arrested for what ye are? etc...etc...etc..

Crewe of the Archangel

William Red Wake wrote:

Here is the Spotswood document...

By His Majesty's Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of the Colony and Dominion of Virginia,

A PROCLAMATION.

Publishing the Rewards Given for Apprehending or Killing Pirates.

WHEREAS, by an Act of Assembly, made-at a Session of Assembly, begun at the Capital in Williamsburg, the eleventh day of November in the fifth year of His Majesty's Reign, entitled An Act to Encourage the Apprehending and Destroying of Pirates: It is amongst other things enacted, that all and every person or persons, who, from and after the fourteenth day of November, in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighteen, and before the fourteenth day of November, which shall be in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Nineteen, shall take any Pirate or Pirates, on the sea or land, or in case of resistance, shall kill any such Pirate or Pirates, between the degrees of thirty four and thirty nine Northern latitude, and within one hundred leagues of the Continent of Virginia, or within the Provinces of Virginia, or North Carolina, upon the conviction, or making due proof of the killing of all, and every such Pirate, and Pirates, before the Governor and Council, shall be entitled to have, and receive out of the public money, in the hands of the, Treasurer of this Colony, the several rewards following that is to say, for Edward Teach, commonly called Captain Teach or Blackbeard, one hundred pounds; for every other commander of a pirate ship, sloop or vessel, forty pounds; for every lieutenant, master or quartermaster, boatswain or carpenter, twenty pounds; for every other inferior officer, fifteen pounds, and for every private man taken aboard such ship, sloop, or vessel, ten pounds; and that for every Pirate which shall be taken by any ship, sloop or vessel, belonging to this colony, or North Carolina, within the time aforesaid, in any place whatsoever, the like rewards shall be, paid according to the quality and condition of such pirates. Wherefore, for the encouragement of all such persons as shall be willing to serve His Majesty and their Country, in so just and honorable undertaking, as the suppressing a sort of people, who may be truly called enemies to mankind: I have thought fit, with the advice and consent of His Majesty's Council to issue this Proclamation; hereby declaring, the said rewards shall be punctually and justly paid, in current money in Virginia, according to the directions of the said Act. And, I do order and appoint this Proclamation, to be published by the Sheriffs at their respective County houses, and by all Ministers and Readers in the several Churches and Chapels throughout this Colony.

Given at Our Council Chamber at Williamsburg, this 24th day of November, 1718. In the Fifth year of His Majesty's Reign.

GOD SAVE

THE KING.

A. Spotswood.

[Governor of Virginia, 1710-1722]

Key West is in Virginia is it not? Was the last time I looked at ...ahem... MY map and chart collection... ahem...

Crewe of the Archangel

NOTICE to ALL Men-Folk ~

I would like to humbly request, on behalf of myself and other like-minded ladies, that we be included in the scenarios! Silkie and myself are working on some ideas for ourselves, to be posted when ironed out ~ which will potentially require significant Male interaction. :o

OI! I saw your eye's glazing over! Pull your mind out of the gutter! :lol:

Interested Pirates, Hunters and Reds may State Interest Here.

:lol:

Ah ladies, do come speak with me... ye know I am more than happy to keep ye all fully occupied! ;):D

Crewe of the Archangel

Careful Lt., or Cheeky may just clock ye over the head again with that great wooden spoon of hers! :lol::lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

Yep! Just like Paynetown, when you insisted on bugging out early.... **rocking back on heels** Yep we know who you would rather go play with that weekend... Don't we Maddogge... them WWII chappies at Gettysburg...

Crewe of the Archangel

Hey.... I'm justa scummy Pyrate....them gentleman an' such always sproutin airs......

Don't think I'll be takin' th' King's Pardon..... heck.... we can set ourselves up in Madigaskar an' do so much better.....

<just getting into character.....>

Dang... it's going ta be fun........

:o

[Hey... I tried to behave.....]

Dirty ... unwashed, and unrepentant.......

No King will tell me how to live, or make laws to restraine me........

We make our own laws.... wit no flogins' by underaged pups... wot are supost ter be little "gentleman"......

Nah..... don't think I be takin' th' Kings pardon......

By George, I think he's got it! B)B)

Crewe of the Archangel

Yep! Just like Paynetown, when you insisted on bugging out early.... **rocking back on heels** Yep we know who you would rather go play with that weekend... Don't we Maddogge... them WWII chappies at Gettysburg...

Not to mention...M. Kaplan, Evil Twin, Lara and the Princess, Captain!

Those are whom I'll be connecting with most of the time when I'm not running about in four different directions at once!

I am sure you'll all have fun, and when we gather together again we'll have lots of 'stories' to share.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Not to mention...M. Kaplan, Evil Twin, Lara and the Princess, Captain!

Give my regards to all, especially Cousin, Big Sister and her ...ahem.. working girl... snigger.

OH and before I forget... ask Pinky if he is now carrying my brown wig... I need a new one for Christmas... ;)

Crewe of the Archangel

Ah... I'm getting rescued. Anyone tries picking me clean will find a smallsword lodged somewhere between several ribs.

Crewe of the Archangel