Turkey -- any suggestions?

Fortunately or unfortunately -- depending on how you look at it -- I will be traveling to Turkey in early December on a work-related obligation (yes, I know it is the off-tourist rainy season).

There will be precious little time available for sightseeing or touring (I do know that a group trip down the Bosphorus is in the plans), but I thought I would cast my net among you -- any suggestions on what to do, what to see or (more importantly) what to try to purchase while there? I will certainly be able to hit some shops, if nothing else.

Yes, I will bring back some Turkish Delight (my kids are sick of it, however) but, unlike last year's trip to Jordan (go if you have the chance!) and Egypt (I do not recommend it), I have no motivation on what to shop for while there.

Thoughts and ideas solicited...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Hmmm, definitely buy some coffee and spices.

how about some scarves, vests, decorations or ornaments, blue eye jewlery to bring luck and success and also to ward off evil, Turkish delight (candy)...

can't think of any thing else at the moment.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Istanbul is the only city in the world to span 2 continents.

It was the capitol of the Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman and Latin empires.

If the Earth was a single state, Istanbul would be its capital. ”

—Napoleon Bonaparte

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

1. meerschaum pipes! That is the place to get the real deal.

2. Rugs

3. Look at brass, in shops, not the major department stores, maybe they have some thing nice for events.

4. That's a big country I assume you are going to Istanbul from your comments.

If you have not been there before, worry about the antiquity laws. Its a felony to remove anything from the country they consider an antique. Be sure if buying anything old looking you get a certificate that it is not an antique. We had an American tourist, 40 year old lady, get life in prison for violating that law when she tried to take a lamp back onto her cruise ship. At that time there was super relations with the US so, she got her charges over turned, but never-the-less, it was unpleasant for her for several weeks.

Have fun!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Yes - Istanbul.

Thanks for the heads up on the antiquities law -- I am already well aware of it. I'll pick up my antiques in the good old U.S. of A., thank you very much.

I don't smoke, but I will look for the pipes (good call!)... maybe to use as barter for something better after I get back?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Ya know...I worry more aout re-entering the United States. I have found US Customs agents to be the surliest bunch of people ever. ...compared to other countries. If anyone has had less than favorable experiences with US Customs, I'd be curious to hear your story.

SHIP2-1.jpg

If anyone has had less than favorable experiences with US Customs, I'd be curious to hear your story.

A few years ago, when coming back to the US we went through customs. We were using military ID cards instead of passports.

The Customs Agent saw my ID card and rank and waved me through with a prompt "I hope you had a nice trip sir!" He looked briefly at my wife's card and added "I hope your daughter enjoyed her trip too!"

:rolleyes:

-Greydog

:lol:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Yes - Istanbul.

Thanks for the heads up on the antiquities law -- I am already well aware of it. I'll pick up my antiques in the good old U.S. of A., thank you very much.

I don't smoke, but I will look for the pipes (good call!)... maybe to use as barter for something better after I get back?

Do they smoke the hookah in Turkey? That would be a good novelty item. :ph34r:

What about daggers? Or am I in the wrong country for those? :rolleyes:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Have fun Pete, and be safe!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Cheeky -- Turkey has really strict laws regarding exporting antiquities. If I can identify something as being from the Ottoman empite, it's staying where I find it. I saw Midnight Express -- I have no plan to run afoul of the Turkish police.

Speaking of which -- most of Midnight Express was shot in Malta (where I have been) because the Turks throught the storyline painted Turkey in a negative light (it does). Malta, on the other hand, remains one of my favorite places in the universe.

Capn William? Yes on the hookahs. But if I just came back from Egypt and Jordan without purchasing a hookah, I doubt I'll pick one up in Turkey. And, yes, all these Middle East countries have vast quantities of daggers.

I really plan to look for exotic fabrics... maybe some silks, maybe a rug.

But yes -- plenty of Turkish Delight. Although I can pick it up at the local World Market.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

You must have some Donner Kebab while you are there!

The prision of "Midnight Express" express fame was allegedly in Izmir, Turkey. I don't know if they had any shots of it in the movie. Anyway, that's what I was told in broken English by a Turk, he was. I could be wrong as me Turkish is limited to yes, no, OK, & two beers.

Yea know, I be in Izmir for a year one time, I was.

Avast ye, I be not in the prision! Those charges were dropped I tell you, lawful trading on the high seas, it t'weren't anything else. Them thar goods had been abandoned. As soon as I produced evidence the goods were from a Greek ship, the Turks dropped all the charges, them bein the darlin's that they are.

-Greydog

:mellow:

Capn William? Yes on the hookahs. But if I just came back from Egypt and Jordan without purchasing a hookah, I doubt I'll pick one up in Turkey. And, yes, all these Middle East countries have vast quantities of daggers.

Though I no longer smoke at all - anything - :o - I'd be tempted to buy a hookah just as a novelty item. And I know that I couldn't resist the daggers! :o

What's the Middle East country where all men routinely carry a dagger at all times? Not as a weapon but a status symbol. :o

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Logging in from Istanbul. Hey everyone. Not supposed to be using this computer for this purpose. Update when possible. Hotel balcony overlooks the Bosphorus!

Later...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Should have been at PiP!! :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Should have been at PiP!! :D

And I am missing an awesome WWII reenactment right now as well... The job gives me the money to do the stuff I want to do -- so I choose to keep working.

Turkey wasn't bad -- but I had 15 hour work days, which sucked.

Got to see Taksim Square, a boat ride on the Bosphorus (to dinner at the Maidens Tower!!), Aya (Hagia) Sofia, the Blue Mosque, and the Grand Bazaar. But these were all organized tours, and I had no free time at all.

Still jet-lagged -- and I picked up an intestinal bug, but NOT in Turkey! I seem to have acquired it during my 20 hour travels back to the States. Crappy airline and airport food.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Geeze Pete, why can't you come home to us healthy!?! Get well soon and glad you're back at least safely...

Crewe of the Archangel

And I am missing an awesome WWII reenactment right now as well...

Turkey wasn't bad -- but I had 15 hour work days, which sucked.

Glad to see you back at home....

The Captain is right...why can't you come home healthy? Or is this some strange diet that always seems to happen around the holidays?

Didn't you loose some major weight last year?

Ft. Custard (Silent Night) in MI? Ya, don't feel bad, Pete...from what I've seen on the weather channel...your better off being at home!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 4 weeks later...

>> Didn't you loose some major weight last year?

Are ye calling me fat?

These Middle East events have to be arranged in the off-season (financial concerns) and as not to conflict with any religious holidays (of ANY religion -- which is rather difficult). This forces everything to happen just before Christmas time, which sucks for me (and my family) on virtually every level.

I have resisted being involved -- but was actually begged to go this last time. I can choose to not eat anything at all, but that's rather impractical for a week at a time.

Listen all... if these efforts are actually successful in securing some peace in the Middle East (and thus increased stability around the globe), a few years of holiday intestinal distress is a small price to have paid.

The food in Istanbul was quite superb -- I had stuffed vine leaves at virtually every meal. It was a five-star hotel, and dinners at top-of-the-line restaurants, and I refused to eat anything from street vendors. All that -- and the timing of getting sick -- is why I am convinced the illness was caught on my way back, and not while in Istanbul.

I also enjoyed an lots of Turkish coffee. Maddogge (if you are reading this) -- I "read" my grounds one day, and found the distinctly unmistakable image of a leaping cat -- I even took a photo of it and will try to post it here later.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Listen all... if these efforts are actually successful in securing some peace in the Middle East (and thus increased stability around the globe), a few years of holiday intestinal distress is a small price to have paid.

Okay Pete, what haven't you told us???

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 months later...

Okay Pete, what haven't you told us???

Sorry -- I missed your question.

You mean what is it I am doing? I thought I posted this earlier (and elsewhere). These are a series of conferences getting scientists from different Middle East countries to meet, work and collaborate with each other. And they are from countries that do NOT neccesarily have diplomatic relations and therefore do not typically work together.

So, like, this is Nobel Peace Prize level stuff. We have had some great successes, but it's an incredible amount of work, and requires me to keep going to the freaking Middle East.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg