The Axe man Cometh

MorganTyre

Being the cheap bastard that I am and having no passable piratical weapons I've decided to turn this:

94549.gif

in to something like this:

spike-axe.jpg

(both images used without permission, I'll yank them if requested)

This will be done entirely with a grinder, hacksaw, file, and sandpaper. Obviously I'll never be able to duplicate it entirely - the method the handle is attached is obviously modern and the angle of the blade is probably 5 deg in rather than parallel to the handle but so far it's coming along very well.

Note, cutting tool steel - even cheap chinese harbor freight tool steel - is NOT easy but it can be done. I only wish I still had access to a plasma cutter. My shape is roughed out nicely, it's just file time. Also, the red paint has been suprisingly tenacious - probably loaded with lead. I am considering knocking the handle out so I can work with just the head but I don't know that I'd be able to find another hatchet handle to fit. All in all that would make it about a million times easier though so it might be worth the effort. Anyway, pictures will be posted soon. Hopefully I'll end up with a decent looking axe for under $25.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I applaud your attempt. Jas-Towsend has a boarding ax (head-only) for $24. He doesn't have any handles that fit it. In case the metal grinding gets too time consuming. Sometimes it's better to spend the money than the time, my philosophy. Good luck! :lol:

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

That looks pretty do-able, but might take some time... I wish you the best of luck!

That being said, I'd like to try this too, being that I have access to those tools AND a plasma cutter. Where'd you get the Fireman's axe?

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Jas-Towsend has a boarding ax (head-only) for $24

I agree about the time vs money but my time is free and my costs are going to be about 1/2 that of a handle-less head from them plus I get the added bonus of the pleasure of a job well done. I've actually wanted to try a project like this for a couple years though back then it was turning a hatchet into a bearded trade axe - something I may end up doing eventually.

That looks pretty do-able, but might take some time... I wish you the best of luck!

That being said, I'd like to try this too, being that I have access to those tools AND a plasma cutter. Where'd you get the Fireman's axe?

Thanks! Time-wise I probably have two hours into it and it's about 80% done. With a plasma cutter I probably could have cut that time down to about 30 minutes. The axe was a $10 cheapie from harbor freight. I think they usually go for $19.99

Ropework_Header.jpg

Cool project, I can't wait to see some pics of the finished product.

I'm not sure if using a plasma cutter would be a good idea. The heat from the plasma cutter might (as in probably) screw up the temper of the cutting edge of the axe. If you know how to re-temper the blade, no problem, but tempering blades is a fair bit more fussy than most people give credit to.

Morgan, I think the fact that you didn't have access to a plasma cutter will work more to your advantage because of the temper issue... Grinders and power tools can heat the metal a bit, but usually not enough to screw with the metal's temper.

Michael_banner.jpg

Grinders and power tools can heat the metal a bit, but usually not enough to screw with the metal's temper.

Even those might cause enough heat to mess with a temper, although I suspect the axe blade is pretty thick and might survive this. There are any number of sword forums out there; perhaps some other members of thepub can recoomend one for you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ok, here's the roughed out pictures:

axe3.jpg

axe2.jpg

axe1.jpg

Next step is some more filing to smooth out the curves then some light filing to clean up some tooling marks then it's time to start sanding away that red paint and grinding/filing marks. At the end I'll hit it with a buffing wheel and then give it an oiling.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I picked up one of those axes on sale at Harbor Freight a few months ago and did the same thing to it. I did all of my reshaping with an angle grinder and then power sanded out the tool marks with no problems. I'll have to get a picture or two and post them here.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I never posted a follow-up. The axe head itself is shaped and turned out nicely, I just need to strip off the remainder of the red paint and then put it on a new handle. To be honest, the project moved back a notch. After the recent ren faire blew and the weather has gotten cool my love of all things authentically pyratey took a back seat to my second fascination and that's the uber-fictional world of victorian science-fiction (steampunk). My time has been taken up by a penny-farthing inspired bicycle project (

) I'll get back on track here within the next couple of weeks though.
Ropework_Header.jpg

If you like Victorian SF, you must see...

A Gentleman's Duel

And the Steampunk Laptop

http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/...mpunklaptop.htm

What this has to do with pirates... eh... nothing. Sorry! I should learn self-moderation!

:huh::huh::lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

heh heh... agreed!

I think somewhere in Beyond Piracy I posted a link to some remote control steam tanks and a steam R2-D2.

This was an ax thread... mandatory ax content... there is, as I recall, a Danish or Swedish ax in Boarders Away that looks a helluvalot like a fire ax.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 1 month later...

"Note, cutting tool steel - even cheap chinese harbor freight tool steel - is NOT easy but it can be done."

Uhh, yes I know a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight is made in China, but this particular axe, (I got one for Christmas) says on it "Made in Germany" (Helko Tools International) The Fireman's hatchet is pictured on the following page on their web site http://www.helko.de/produkt/k5e.htm

Information from my Google search

World of Axes - helko product groups - Manufacturers of axes ...

Manufacturers of Axes, Mauls, Hatchets (Edge Cutting Tools) for the world markets. In more than 40 countries the helko name is associated with quality, ... www.helko.de/produktgr_e.htm

So apparently you are starting with some good 'German' steel, maybe that is why it was not so easy.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

So still no pics of how the axe turned out? I think it is an interesting and worthwhile project.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty interested in how the progress is going as well. I wish you luck in your venture mate.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

• 9 months later...
I'm pretty interested in how the progress is going as well. I wish you luck in your venture mate.

Well, here we are a year later. Sorry, I'm finally getting back on track. This has been a very busy year for me. I've taken over management for one company and bought out another. Not much time for hobbies I'm afraid. The finished axe head lived in the trunk of my car for a year where it had wet and salty dive equipment stacked on top of it regularly. I've cleaned off the light surface rust and ended up with this fantastic patina. The handle is going to get my standard working craft brew (mix of varnish, japan drier, and stockholm tar).

Axe.jpg

Ropework_Header.jpg