Bay Area Shake

Heard about this on the radio this morning. Man, Ca. is really getting screwed by nature again this year! Hope all is well. I remember when I was out there on Treasure Island, a 5.6 wouldn't even raise the eyebrows on a local. Still, hard to imagine living under that threat constantly. We are still waiting on the old New Madrid fault to wake up and shake up here in the mid-west, but I ain't in any hurry!

Bo

5.6 is no big deal up thisaway. It sure lasted a long time, though. Our kitty, who we had rescued from the docks, is used to shaking so this didn't even register with him.

And earthquakes are just like any other disaster. Those of us who grew up in earthquake country can't imagine living in a place that was subject to tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. So it's a matter of what you're used to.

RHJMap.jpg

Dang.... we had another quake....... rats..... I kinda missed it..... (I thought it was a truck driving by..... yah... it was that small.....)

(OK.... I live up in the mountains...... but for Californians..... heck... we can deal with quakes....... they ain't that bad..... sure the ground moves a bit..... but mostly it ain't that big of a deal........)

We had one not too far from here a few years back. The epicenter was at a LITTLE town called Urich, Mo.- pop. arond 800. It's about 45 miles from me. It wasn't much and I don't hardly remember the details, but the folks over in Urich made up survivor t-shirts! I remember one from back in the mid 1960's that shook a large area of Mo. I had just gotten out of school and walked to the office my mom worked at, and the big plate glass window was waving like water and a plant stand "walked" across the floor and fell over when it reached the wall on the other side of the room. I thought it was a train, because the tracks were just out the back door. We lived in a small apartment just upstairs above the office, so I was used to the noise and rumble.

When I was on Treasure Island back in 1984, one of the civilian workers on base told me that most folks don't even notice until they get up around a 7. I lost a fishing pole off the pier one day when a tremor hit. A little old Viet-Namese man fished it out for me with one of his crab baskets. I will always remeber him. I'm rambling now... you all stay safe out there!

Bo

Yeah, I remember that New Madrid quake back in '90, Bo.

Alas, didn't feel it cause we were on a spot of land where apparently the waves just shot on through and didn't shake the ground. However, most around - family members else where in eastern Iowa - felt it... like in Washington, Iowa... my grandma felt it then. Her lights swayed. Tis quite the distance from the southern tip of Illinois down south of St Louis. I remember that they even felt that shake all the way up into Minnesota.

Who knows. Maybe it'll be a while before the New Madrid rumbles.

Oddly enough, I feel the earth move here around the Cedar Rapids area. Again, it's odd.

welp, glad that 5.+ quake didn't do all too much. Heard it did a bit of damage though.

at least it wasn't a huge one. Don't need that on top of the recent fires.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!