Must be "raining" new swords

Gentleman of Fortune

I had the chance to pick up one of Kyle Willard's of Old Dominon Forge's pieces a while back... (thats why I was scramblin' to sell hats, buckles, belaying pins', hemp rope, black bear skins... and the kitchen sink too!)

Anyway,

It came today, in time to be considered a birthday present...

well, that is what I am tellin' the Warden (aka my wife).

s-odf-shell-1.jpg

s-odf-shell-3.jpg

s-odf-shell-4.jpg

It came with a beautiful scabbard as well. I really dig the Dutch influence in the design, the 24" blade is VoC marked marked as well.

Now I have to upgrade my carrying rig.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I love the VOC mark, very very cool detail. All in all a beautiful sword. I really want to try my hand at making one. I still have access to the rigging shop I used to work in and their metal working tools so hammering out the guard and what-not (ignore my painful ignorance of sword nomenclature - and my inability to spell) is doable but I don't have access to a forge so my only option is grinding down a big piece of spring steel for the blade and I haven't yet been able to find anything suitable.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Dude! That is seriously nice!

Good luck with the Mrs - I can't convince myself that buying myself an ODF sword is justified, let alone anyone else!

Any chance you could send me your home address and a list of dates and times the house will be unoccupied? Purely for erm... statistical interest?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Very nice indeed, GoF. I'm rather proud of my new Windlass, but your Old Dominion is very fine. At least you only used up one birthday. Mine was refered to as the Birthday, Anniversary, and Christmas gift. ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Yes.. prices are steep. I can only "convince" the Warden its ok, as long as it doesn't take "new" money. That is, as long as I sell old kit to buy new kit, or find a way to generate money in the hobby, buy making/selling within the hobby....

Convoluted I know, but if the system works.

Yes, i have to say its Pretty F-C. But, the reality is that its probably not that much cheaper than an original. Last year, at the Kassel Militaria Show, original period clamshells and Hangers ranged from about $800-$1600 depending on style and condition.

The ODF sword does have a sweet scabbard though. I will take some pics when the dust settles around here.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Just beautiful!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I don't have access to a forge so my only option is grinding down a big piece of spring steel for the blade and I haven't yet been able to find anything suitable.

GoF... DAMN! Who gets first blood? You or the "Warden?" :o

Morgan, an old leaf spring from under a truck, car or trailer wiil do fine if that s the route you are going to take. You should be able to get one at any salvage yard for a nominal fee. If you were in Missouri I would give you one of those in my project pile AND let you work on my forge & anvil if you cose to. I don't get to fire it up anymore. :o

Bo

Morgan, an old leaf spring from under a truck, car or trailer wiil do fine if that s the route you are going to take. You should be able to get one at any salvage yard for a nominal fee.

I'd considered that but then I have to straighten it out and I really have no idea how I'd do that. I'd also end up with a sword with a hole right in the middle.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Morgan, another option is to get a sword, and then replace and compleatly re-do the guard and hilt.....

.......cutlass.jpg

THe one on the right was a crumby broadsword, that I filed (didn't have a grinder then) the blade down, and made a new guard for....

The one on the right is an Infantry Hanger the GoF sent me.... I still have to find a thick enough chunk of metal to make a shell guard for it..... So far, everyone that said they had something that would work, never came through.... so I'll just go to the sheetmetal place, and see if they have a chunk that will work..... I don't think I'll have it done in time for PiP .... but I may get a burst o' energy...... :ph34r:

GOF...well now ye CANT throw in th reenacting towel! :rolleyes:

Gorgeous!

Sigh..Ever since I heard about ODF a year ago I have drooled over their images. Heard there was a two year waiting list. Still I am saving my coin

Congrats on a beautiful weapon. I love the grip.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Truly you are a blessed Gentleman of Fortune.

Thats a grand addition to a true pirates collection.

Congratulations sir.3.gif

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Hiya Harbormaster! You Pirate you :rolleyes: Hows it goin? ~ wave to you an the missus~

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a sword (cutlass actually through internet), something cheaper than the stuff from ODF...but I did make sure it wasn't stainless. I puts ome 3-in-1 oil on it for now, but I just want to know from any of you if you intentially weather your sharpstuff.

SHIP2-1.jpg