Pirate TV Show

Misson

I was wandering around Amazon and I came across this: The Buccaneers

Robert Shaw as a pirate! Has anyone seen this? Has anyone heard of this? It's the first time I've ever come across it. $8.47 for 39 episodes...hmm...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I was wandering around Amazon and I came across this: The Buccaneers

Robert Shaw as a pirate! Has anyone seen this? Has anyone heard of this? It's the first time I've ever come across it. $8.47 for 39 episodes...hmm...

It was an English production for children done nio the 50's....

Cheesy yes but done with the best of intentions. :lol:

I have one of the swords Robert used (in those days you could hang onto some of your props). Not really very Piratey looking but it was on TV after all.

Lord love the BBC ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

lol. i just posted my opinion of it in the pirate movie thread. i like it alot. i have developed an affection for lt beamish.

Beamish!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

And he is one of only a handful of the cast that is still with us. He still works on BBC TV on a reg basis. :ph34r:

I was told he was truley a nice man and wonderful to work with. :rolleyes:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

The theme is more about Woods Rodgers Adventures with the poor pirates being the reason for his being ! I like the Long John Silver series better. However to add as 'nother item for pirate media/memoribilia collection Eye still would recomend buying the Buccaneers .... :rolleyes:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

The theme is more about Woods Rodgers Adventures with the poor pirates being the reason for his being ! I like the Long John Silver series better. However to add as 'nother item for pirate media/memoribilia collection Eye still would recomend buying the Buccaneers .... :rolleyes:

Until after a few episodes in Rogers all but dissapeared completly and it became about Lt. Beamish and Pirate Capt. Dan Tempest.

(Gods, what a dreadful Pirate name) :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

i forgot all about woods rogers. maybe he'll show up in the last episodes? i havent got that far yet.

to me beamish is like a little puppy growling at something- tries to come across as tough but is still just a puppy,and everyone is always out to get him.lol

• 2 months later...

The Buccaneers, was a good purchase, and I thank Misson and Black Bonnie for recommending it.

One of my favorite bits is Shaw singing "Spanish Ladies" in several episodes. Isn't that the song that he sings in "Jaws"?

Well worth the small change for the series.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

One of my favorite bits is Shaw singing "Spanish Ladies" in several episodes. Isn't that the song that he sings in "Jaws"?

That's a piece of Jaws trivia that Shaw wrote in, himself. . . along with the entire "USS Indianapolis" diatribe.

The Buccaneers is a great set of pirate DVDs which we reviewed in the Summer 07 issue of The Pyrates Way. . . it got five parrots out of five! LOL

What I wrote up in the review is what really makes this series a piece of pyrate history. Written in the mid 1950s, the show targeted controversial subject matter like slavery, and how the King of England turned his back on the Scots sent to the Carolinas in servitude AFTER they'd completed their "time." It's not surprising why so many Carolina Scots turned to pyracy during GAoP.

The episodes cover everything from press gangs and mail-order prides to marooning and pyrate superstitions.

It also makes great "background noise" if you're performing other tasks and don't have time to watch it. I watch the whole series about once a month.

(chuckle)

I was rained in (and feeling a little sickly) this week end so I ended up watching the entire 39 episodes over two days....

Lordy, the Stories Rob used to tell about what went on. Seems the bad guy, Van Brough, was really one of the most fun loving lads.

By the way, Gaff too has passed on along with Woods Rogers, Armando ,Sam Bassett, Van Brough and Pop's.

Taffy ( Paul Hansard) and Beamish (Peter Hammond) are still surviving but no one seems to know what became of Dickon. (Wilfred Downing)

Such fun those old shows.... :ph34r:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

"Let's go a'roving, a'roving across the ocean, oh let's go a'roving and join the buccaneer!"

Is it just me or is that theme song addictive?

It sticks in my head worse than that "You are a Pirate" song from Lazytown.

If you are unfamiliar with that flavor of evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzpByR3MvI

All Apologies for the damage done to those who dare watch that.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

"Let's go a'roving, a'roving across the ocean, oh let's go a'roving and join the buccaneer!"

Is it just me or is that theme song addictive?

watch that.

"He's the bravest man we know! Say he's not and you'll be walking the plank sir!"

Sorry.

Sorry. :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 1 month later...

The episodes cover everything from press gangs and mail-order brides to marooning and pyrate superstitions.

'mail-order brides'?? Ye mean likes in 'snail-mail'?? Why didn't pirates have Internet access on them ships???

;)

Ye be pullin our legs now :lol:

Why without Internet access then just how ye explain them be gettin all that exotic rum and weaponry??

;)

Aye, I had season 1 and 2 a couple year ago but could not find season 3 until last fall when they did the whole thing into a single set.

But now I suppose ye be tellin us they not have DVD players on their ships either, eh? Perhaps 8-tracks and lava lamps?

;)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!