Got me new cutlass!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Sheepishly*

Happy belated birthday, Maria.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

for thos ethat didn't catch the photos. Here's mine from Loyalist.

cutlassfull.jpg

cutlasshilt.jpg

and the frog I made

frog.jpg

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

It looks great. I've decided to save up for one. That is the 18th century model, right? I was thinking of the carribean hilt, but the close-ups of your sword are maybe changing me mind. Mayhaps we could see some other angles, as well...?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Wow, Deacon, nice piece o' steel! How much did that run you... "I'm in the market, so to speak"

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

I've been reading some of the old posts here, about edged weapons being sharpened, and I have this info for any interested...

To this day, Marines are forbidden from sharpening their issued bayonets, exactly for the fact that bayonets with sharpened edges will rust in a martime environment.

Furthermore, it was a detachment of Marines that stormed Harper's Ferry and took John Brown's militants captive... the Marine Lt. who led the Marines (under command of Rob't E Lee), carried his ceremonial (unedged) dress sword into battle by mistake, and broke bones of those he fought with... if memory serves, he broke John Brown's arm with said sword...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Wow, Deacon, nice piece o' steel! How much did that run you... "I'm in the market, so to speak"

Mine were a bit cheaper than most. When I contacted them I didn't know much about them so I asked allot of questions. I USE my weapons in live shows and they get USED. My sword fights are full speed. Not half or quarter like allot of shows out there. So when steel hits steel you know it. So the weapon has to be usable and real. I bought two that were miss stamped. Since I didn't care about such things they were a bit cheaper. but check their site for prices. Nice people to work with.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old Topic...I'm currently reading Decision at Trafalgar, by Dudley Pope - and thank ye, Longarm, fer recommending this terrific book! - and I came across this interesting passage on Page 207, describing the battle preparations:

"When Lt. Ellis, of the Ajax's marines, was sent below about this time with orders he was 'much struck with the preparations being made.' Some of the men, stripped to the waist, WERE SHARPENING THEIR CUTLASSES."

Note that this was being done immediately before the battle.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Ah! Men stripped to the waist and sharpening their cutlasses. <sigh> There's a site for ya! :)

Hey!!!...

I did that once on a warm spring day.

(chuckle) They voted my captain. ;)

:ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well, ladies, I'm glad ye liked the imagery! What I was really getting at, though, was that this is evidence in our debate as to whether cutlasses were really sharpened aboard ship. (The "stripped men" was merely an added attraction! :ph34r: )

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Well, ladies, I'm glad ye liked the imagery! What I was really getting at, though, was that this is evidence in our debate as to whether cutlasses were really sharpened aboard ship. (The "stripped men" was merely an added attraction! B) )

Capt. William

First thanks Bess for the image. If you have pictures please forward. On the sharpening subject. time, water, rust all effect and edge. In fact the one thing that will dull a knife almost as fast as cutting paper is hot water. Causes the metal to expand and dull the edge. So before a battle I'm sure the were working on steel. Now as for a new cutlass or prize or trade I'm sure it would depend on the condition when they found/aquired it.

--------------

sig1.jpg