Military History Fest | Chicago, ILL

Cheeky Actress

Reenactor Fest 5

February 5th through 8th, 2009

Wheeling, Illinois

What is Reenactor Fest? It is an indoor convention for everyone interested in Pirates, the Renaissance, military history, as well as historical and fantasy reenactors of all time periods, spanning from the days of the Roman Empire through Vietnam. It is completely unique in this regard... a celebration of the hobby of as a whole. A chance to learn about other time periods, as well as your own! Come dressed in your costume or come in "civvies" - all are welcome! There is something for everyone. This celebration features hundreds of quality vendor tables, LIVE demonstrations of historical military & cultural activities every day, interesting seminars and lectures on a myriad of topics, a Reenactor's Ball, plus music, food and there is ALWAYS a party going on after the sun goes down! Discounted overnight stay rates for convention attendees will be available on the website. DISCOUNTED tickets are available online at www.reenactorfest.com. Please visit the website for further guest and dealer information, or contact us at reenactorfest@aol.com.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archangel Crewe, if ye be wanting to attend RF5, by all means do, especially those of you that live close by, but if the economy forces you to pick and chose events next year, this is NOT the one to go to, as those of you who have attended such events as Blackbeards, Pike and Beaufort know.... Again, just to let you know... if you can make RF5 by all means attend, but if you must pick and choose, this is not the event to go to. Any questions feel free to email me.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 5 weeks later...

Curious when the schedule & guest speakers will be posted on the website. Seems bare of info all of the sudden. :angry:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'm not sure Lady B.... I didn't follow the updates on the web sit last year... But from my vague memory, updates were posted on various forums a hell of a lot more quickly than they were on the web site... In fact I got more info about RF last year on various forums than I ever got from the web site. It's a good event, and I plan to go again this year (although I won't be sure of attending until much closer to the time).... But the event could definately do itself some more good by more dilligent updating of the web site.

You know, after typing all of this, I seem to recall almost this exact conversation last year... :angry:

Michael_banner.jpg

LOL

Aye, true.

Well, hopefully 'll get a chance t' meet ye and Kate! Shall look forward to it... barring no illness or bad weather.

Working desperately upon my new gown. And thank ye t' Mary Diamond, I've m' new shoes to go with it (that is until I get the fabric ones I desperately desire to have). Can't wait for the Ball.

Had originally thought about just Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday, but may come for Thursday now. We shall see though.

Lookin' forward t' seein' a lot of people there. Hopefully some members of Lee's Legion, too. Miss them.

~Lady B

• 2 weeks later...

Drum Roll Please.....( :rolleyes: ) ReenactorFest would like to introduce something special this year...and for all you Pyrates...we would like to introduce to you... Bilgemunky's Pirate Lounge That's Right! Bilgemunky will be Broadcasting LIVE from RF5 from his own ballroom.

He will be doing live interviews, Blogging on line about the action going on and spinning classics, SCA, and Rock Pyrate music throughout the event!

Just one more reason to book your tickets/rooms now.

Please go to ReenactorFest website and remember to purchase your discount tickets in advance along with your discount room for this event.

See you there!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Hehehe... WICKED

Dammit I need to get these outfits done.

Thanks Cheeky. Shall look forward to RF5.

Oh, and Cheeky, what is the rule this year for weapons? I know in the past they have allowed them. Any different this year? As long as they are clean I hope.

We should have a mock "hunt"... not really a hunt, but a good number of us in hunting habits and attire as though on a hunt ... sort of. Working on a new habit m'self. Praying to God I finish it in time.

~Lady B

Edited by LadyBarbossa

Bilgemunky's Pyrate Lounge

Harrr!!! Yer quite right, Cheeky - although I think we need to make it "Bilgemunky's Pirate Lounge", as the latest scuffles between Pyrate's Way, PyrateCon, and Pyrate Week have me thinkin' that I prefer ta keep my own affairs safely within the "Pirate" spellin'.

We're still hammerin' out a few final details, but we do know that I'll be doing some live broadcasting online, and a whole lot more local DJing for the enjoyment of those in attendance. Winters can get pretty lame in the midwest, so this should be a great opportunity to garb up and hang out some place warm with like-minded pirates!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Bilge,

Let's us know if and how we can lend a hand..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Which night be it that yo'r broadcastin', Bilge? Plenty o' folks there for ye to talk to, interview, etc.

Can't wait either. I enjoyed m'self in '07, bummed when I wasn't able to make it for '08 cause of illness, but hoping to attend in '09... and with a new gown. Maybe a couple new outfits. Maybe.

Lady B

Reenactor Fest 5 Events/Lecture Schedule

Schedule of Events

LIVE SCHEDULE (stage located in the main ballroom)

Thursday

7:00pm - Welcome Party in the Convention Suite. Free alcohol and light beverages will be served. (must show RF5 wristband, must be 21)

Friday

4:15 - 5:00 - Ogham Duo (Traditional Irish Music)

5:00 - 6:00 - Jesse Linder (18th and 19th C. songs)

8:30 - Historical Jeopardy Game Show in the River Ballroom (must show RF5 wristband - We have an All New Game for you all )

Saturday

9:30 - 10:15 - Battlefield Balladeers (Civil War Music)

10:15 - 11:15 - Tourdion (Songs of the British Isles and Beyond)

11:15 - 12:00 - Traditional Belly Dancing (Rakhshanda Tribal Dance)

12:00 - 12:45 - Ogham Duo (Traditional Irish Music)

12:45 - 1:45 - "Pas d'Armes" with baton and with steel (SCA)

1:45 - 2:45 - 1st Royal Rgt. of Foote (The 18th C. British Soldier)

2:45 - 3:30 - The Great General's Debate (Grant, Lee, Custer & co.)

3:30 - 4:15 -Jesse Linder (18th and 19th C. songs)

4:15 - 5:00 - The Roman Soldier (Presented by the Roman 14th Legion)

5:00 - 5:30 - Knights of the Bristol Renaissance Faire (GSM Bristol)

8:00 - Reenactor's Ball in the Lake Michigan Ballroom (must have ticket)

Sunday

9:00 - 9:45 - Battlefield Balladeers (Civil War Music)

9:45 - 10:30 - Destiny at Appomattox (Grant, Lee, Custer & co.)

11:30 - 12:15 - Tourdion (Songs of the British Isles and Beyond)

SEMINAR SCHEDULE (stage located in the River ballroom)

Room A - Friday

5:00-5:45 - WASPS in WW2. The story of the American women of WWII who piloted fighters and bombers for the US Army's Women's Airforce Service Pilots Corps. "The WASPs". - Rebecca Tulloch

6:00-6:45 - The 1893 Viking Ship. A look at the history of the replica of the Gokstad Viking ship that was built and sailed from Norway to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair - Folo Watkins

Room B - Friday

6:00-6:45- The Hunley Submarine. Learn about the first submarine ever to sink an enemy vessel in combat - Steven Quick

Room A - Saturday

10:00-11:00 - Clothing of the 1830's. Presentation and discussion of Jacksonian fashion using pictures, drawings and lithographs of original clothing. - Sue Miller and Josef Kleffman

11:15-12:15 -SCA Classes TBD - John Seaton

1:00-1:45 -Persona 101 - bringing your character to life. - S. Pasker

2:00-2:45 -Reenacting Photography. An exhibition of professional photos taken at events around the country. You may be in them! - Jim Rowan

3:00-3:45 - Henry Wirz and the Andersonville POW Camp. The man and the camp that became Civil war legends. - Richard Benson

Room B - Saturday

10:00-11:00 - Interacting with the Public. They didn't just come out to SEE you so learn to TALK to them! - S. Pasker

11:15-12:15 -Women in Reenacting, a Roundtable Discussion. Share and discuss the challenges and triumphs of adding a new period of historical reenacting to your repitoir. - K. Bergquist, A. Metz-Faulkner, N. Gasiel

1:00-1:45 - How to Be A Street Performer. The master himself teaches you the essentials of the art- Emmett Miller D.D (A.K.A The Windy City Wizard)

2:00-2:45 - The Bowie Knife in Combat. An introduction to the use of this famous American fighting knife. - Allen Reed

3:00-3:45 - Warfare through the Ages: A look at the change in army structure and tactics from Hastings to Breitenfeld. - Order of St. Michaels - GSM Bristol

Room A - Sunday

10:00-10:45 - Cut the Farb! How to shave with a straight razor. - S. Pasker

11:00-11:45 -Developing your German WW2 Persona. Take your Wehrmacht impression to the next level! - Alan Miltich

Room B - Sunday

11:00-11:45 -How to Kill With a Sword According the Aristotle and Cicero: How Medieval Knights Used Ancient Rhetoric and Physics to Guide a Fight in Deadly Earnest. - Bob Charron

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Just remember, you can still buy tickets at LAST YEAR'S price on-line Clickie here for Discount Tickets! from September 1st 2008 through January 5th 2009! Time is running out!

Tickets to the Grand Ball Saturday night are $5.00 available at the door, unless you

purchase a 3 Day Pass... then it's FREE!

DOOR TICKET PRICES

1 Day - $20

2 Days - $25

3 Days - $30

12 and under - FREE

And remember...Booking a Discount Room is still available until JANUARY 15TH!!! Reenactor Fest 5 Discount Rooms Hurry and book so you don't miss out on the fun!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

WOOHOO!!!

Cheeky, I love ya, lass!

Thank ye fo' th' schedule. Already I see quite a it of seminars I want to attend. :) Thank ye, lass. Looking forward to this event with great anticipation. And hopefully some money to shop, too. Oh, do I need a few things. Hehehehe.

And to anyone out there, if they are wanting and willing, I have a room reserved but thus far it's only me in this room. So, rooming with me is an option.

Now... back to the ball gown to finish it up in time for the Grand Ball.

~Lady B

Cheeky,

The Westin's website is saying the the group rate is sold out.

Thought you might want to know.

Thanks for the heads up, Amanjiria.

I will notify the Powers that Be right away. And let you know when they are available again.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sounds like GREAT fun!!!!

some very interesting talks and seminars to boot!!!

would love to attend.. but the timing is a bit off... not really conducive to driving to Snowy Chi-Town in February from Snowy Ontario...

Hope everyone has a wondrous time...

~QM Seika Hellbound~

We ain't no stinking Parrots!!!"

piratepenguins.gif

Hehehe, tis ok, Seika. :) We'll have pictures and a report... as always. We'll party fo' ye. :D

And snow is the least of it. I recall '07 was SUPER COLD to th' point ye immediately walk outside and ye freeze! Even if ye were fully covered! Bloody temp had to be -25 give or take a couple degrees. But, aye, it's tons of fun and educational. Masses of Living Historians.

~Lady B

LMAO!

Oh aye! Where else can ye say ye danced with Grant, Custer, a Roman, a Pirate and a Nazi all in one room at one place? LOL

~Lady B

look forward to seeing pics....

yup.. know the cold.. we be about the same as Chi-Town during the winter... as we live in a Port City at the head of Lake Ontario.. so we get those brutal north west winds as well...

~QM Seika Hellbound~

We ain't no stinking Parrots!!!"

piratepenguins.gif

Bilge,

Let's us know if and how we can lend a hand..

Sterling,

My biggest concern at this time is decoration. I actually wound up with a much bigger area to DJ in that we'd originally expected, and I would like to ensure our Pirate Lounge somewhat looks the part. I have several of my own decorations I can bring, but if anyone has anything of their own (even fishing nets and burlap cand do wonders), it might come in handy.

Anyone that might be able to help in this regard, please shoot me an email at bilge@bilgemunky.com.

Short of that, we need only one other thing to make Bilgemunky's Pirate Lounge a success, and that would be PIRATES!

Thanks!

I AM BILGEMUNKY