Port Washington Pirate Fest 2008

LadyBarbossa

Just pulled in myself - and considering that I live closer than anyone, you do the math as to when I actually left :ph34r:

Thanks Achangel and Fool's Gold for being so great! I hope it's not too long before I can join you all at an event where I can participate in a few more of the festivities.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures will be posted some time today - I'll try...I have issues with my home computer and work's computer doesn't like various 'picture' sites.

I have permission to post 'after hour' shots of the crewe at the Bash so people be prepared....it may not be pretty!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Bilgemunky,

Could we have an after-event report?

Capt'n Pete...the party in ROOM 324 Sailed! I must admit it was a great pleasure to meet up with Bilgemunky, his wife and the rest of their family.

Never a dull moment and boy, did we have a veiw of the storm! Couldn't ask for fyner hosts!

Member of "The Forsaken"

I know that the weather didn't cooperate (again), and I know that the casual attendee and serious devotee alike may have been discouraged by the series of tornados and severe flash flooding. But this past weekend showed how the promise and experience of previous festivals are beginning to gel. I think the Port Washington Pirate festival is really starting to come into its own. The Pirate Invasion was faster, snappier, more involved and more enjoyable. The Buccaneer Bash was louder brash, and more fun. Unfortunately some events were cancelled because of the weather, but those that were held were much more fun and much more memorable than previous ones.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Oh, wet!

Still and all, an enormous amount of fun, weather and all. If you want to have a good time, you'll find it no matter what. I feel bad for the vendors who lost out on local business for the people that fled the event. And, of course, the producer of the show, who must have been very distressed to see the attendance gush away as the weather continued to be bad.

Me, I have a flooded basement that I have to go continue to vacuum out.

Here are where our pics will be loaded:

http://bounding.wohlershome.net/gallery/v/...8/PortPirate08/

Plus one of our friends, Carl Jester, has his posted here:

http://www.jesterphotography.com/v/persona...l/piratefest08/

Plus there is some dialog with pics on the Bristol Discussion Page:

http://www.bristolboard.com/forum/viewtopi...t=2574&start=30

It was wonderful to see everyone again this year. No less busy for not directing, what with the hit and run singing and shelter singing and all, but still great to get everyone together again!

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier -- I forgot my camera at home. So there will be no pictures coming from this quarter.

Considering the vantage point I had at many times, the absence of my camera is perhaps a very good thing.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Oops... sorry -- another point.

I was interviewed (by the Travel Dog) for some kids' show or news program during "Breakfast with the Pirates" on Saturday morning. The show is apparently broadcast out of West Allis (WI). If anyone managed to get a videotaped copy of the interview clip (less than 30 seconds long, I estimate), I would be very interested in getting a copy.

A pirated copy, of course.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Considering the vantage point I had at many times, the absence of my camera is perhaps a very good thing.

Aye, but I managed to take VIDEO of you, Rats and Bottles with the Rep. from Pirate's Choice Rum!!!! ( :ph34r::ph34r:

Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh my bloody freakin' God!!!

Did someone get the liscense plate number of that festival that just stormed by?!!!??!?!!! B)

B)B)

WHOA! What a weekend!!!

That went TOO fast... WAY too fast... end granted the storms didn't help out much with attendence. But we sure as hell made the best of it!

BTW, all... PETE STRAW throws THE best Midwestern Hurricane Parties!!!

I'll agree with ye on tradition, Cheeky! :lol: The storms didn't dampen our spirits any.... :::Looks at the rum:::

Glad t' hear ye made it home safely. Took MerryD and I around 9 hours t' return t' Iowa. ;) 3 hours we were stuck east of Madison due to all the roads covered with water and they were closed! We eventually got out of the mayhem.

Oh, it was incredible fun t' see ye, Cheeky an' th' Archangel. What a grand crew.

Oh, dear GOD! That Pirate's Choice is bloody wonderful!!!!

LOL... Oh, I've some good pictures, too, Cheeky. I have a couple piccies t' pass off t' Flintlock Jack. Alas, I didn't get that one with Billie.

Hahahaha.... Aye, bilge! Oh, you did fantastic this weekend in interaction! So.. umm... how is your family doing? Are they recovering well come Pete's Midwestern Hurricane Party? :lol:

And thank ye. A great round of applause and standing ovation t' ye, Bilge! A great pirate ye be!!!

Amanjira... :::hugs::: mate... we partied like the Devil in yo'r stead. B) Just means... plans to attend next year.

Major kudos t' Sea Rover and Red Bess for their humble and undying dedication. Not even th' rain and lightning could dampen their spirits or strength in ensure the (already wet) items were safely packed away. Oh, we owe ye some rum and a fine feast! Hope t' see ye sooner than next year's Port Wash Fest... and definitely will see ye at Port Wash next year!!!

Aye, Jack Madd... t'was a pity about the Parade (saved our poor feet though) but the scenarios did go fairly well (despite the chill an' th' fog on Sunday and m' pistol not wantin' t' fire at BOTH scenarios! Damnit! MerryD however, ... lucky lass! She got t' man (woman, actually) the cannon there!!!)

But yes. :lol: OH, best had was Saturday when the Siren Test went off! LOL... the looks on everyone's faces!!! "Is that for real?!? Not again?!!!" Now, mind ye... that test around 1pm was just that... a test from what I understand. And what happened 3 hours later... the real thing was sounded off. :unsure:

Aye the bash was INCREDIBLE fun... even with the river running through the tent! :lol: And a good portion of us grabbing Chinese and eating Chinese at the Bash! :lol: No, of all things we did... we didn't drink (we did that earlier)... we ate... THEN we drank some more!!!

T'was great t' see ye at Port Wash, Jack Madd! :)

DEAN! Bounding Main had THE idea.... the inflaties!!! :lol: Well, guaranteed if we all were washed away, at least Bounding Main would be saved!!! :D

Demon rum!??!?!!??!!!?

Oh, blessed nectur of th' Gods it was!!!

I've a few piccies from Pete's Midwestern Hurricane Party. We need to make this an annual event.. The Midwestern Hurricane Parties. B)

Oh, and to TJ (I don't know if he's on th' Pub yet)... who was a FANTASTIC Jack Sparrow at the event and was VERY helpful (you wouldn't guess what his real profession is). Pity his wife was not able to make it but glad she's safe from all the tornados that roared through.

STILL trying to clean off my black ink covered hands! NO!! I DON'T have t' Plague!!!

Pictures are coming soon. And oh, what awesome pictures they are, too.

Thank ye, to those who handled my camera well by NOT losing it in Lake Michigan. And taking WONDERFUL pictures when I was not behind the cam. Alas, I didn't get video. I should have though. Especially of Pete's Party!

Oh... I need to go lay down as I am still recovering from this past weekend.

~Lady B

B)

PS - is Sterling walking around like an undead zombie pirate again? Offer more rum!!

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:huh:B):huh::huh:

Ahoy Mates, finally the Captain Wind is back, and sadly was one of the ones that fled the bad weather on Saturday. My girlfriend was driving, and was a little worried about the storms. So we cut out much earlier than I wanted to.

However did catch the Bounding Main and Jolly Roger fantastic show by both.

Now I wait for Bristol to open.

I hope to be more active on the Pub moving forward. :lol:

B)

Cheers!

Okay despite the weather, it sounds like everyone had a great time. I think maybe they should work the tornado into a mascote of sorts — that's two years in a row that pirates have had to head for the basement (ah, I have such fond memories of that old bank)!

However, my most burning (I use the term purposely) question is....did Mad Dogg's "Tom Thumb" situation slow him down any? B)B)

Glad to hear you are all back safe and sound. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

M.A.d'Dogge & Dusty Shores helping "Bottums" coil lines on the tall ship WINDY......'allllooooo bottums!!!!

559.jpg

Rats & M.A.d'Dogge discussing the merits of Pyrates Choice Rum in the Tavern...waitting out the rain

540.jpg

the Crewe of the Archangel just thrown off the Windy

370.jpg

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

B) I remember that image! all under cover - albeit outside - of the overhang at the Holiday Inn. Awaiting the rain to subside a bit to attempt passage to the Bash. Attempt being the key word here, folks!

Piccies are coming. Having some issues of my own (A bit under the weather, unforunately, and other things... No, no hangover, mates. I don't get hangovers. Never had one in my life.) So, uploading is taking a LOT longer than I hoped.

Ahhh... Pete with Quint. Yeeessss... well, :::Clears throat::: no comment. Oh, and Sally was MIGHTY grateful that Quint's teeth was filed down, Pete. B)

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

All I can say is....What memories!!! Dirty weather, what me worry?! Never, says I!! One could not hope for better company in which to weather the storm....er....storms. :lol:

Setting up photos as I write this, but here is the first which was forwarded to me by a wonderful lass named Jennifer in The Port. Thanks again, gerl dear!!!!

2008PirateFestivalPW08.jpg

Fitzgerald & Burke.....The Owling Life for we!

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Just finished fighting with this batch....

IMG_0421.jpg

Captain Sterling on the bow

IMG_0391.jpg

Pete Straw on the Job

IMG_0419.jpg

Rats on the Bow

IMG_0412.jpg

M. A. d'Dogge

IMG_0404.jpg

The Lovely Mary Diamond

More to come....

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints