New Seafaring Bodhran...

Iron Bess

It has a 16 inch playing surface and is a lovely 7 inches deep. (What a tone!)

Now.... who thinks the outer shell ought to be painted up with Mermaids (in the Celtic tradition) and such like??

(see example of Ravens below Bodhran)

Speak up mates... this be my last and BEST drum!

ManceGradyBodhran.jpg

BodhranPaintOption.jpg

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

this be my last and BEST drum!

Yah... right....... :blink:

Not saying nothin wrong..... but as humans.... we always find something just a little bit better......

But it looks really cool.....

So how does it sound ?......

No, no... having this one custom made by Mance Grady.

It will be my last and BEST drum to be sure.

It's still under construction (Inside tuning, pro-bar and such like) but when it arrives you'll all be the first to know. Well, okay, after Phoebe I guess. Dog loves to sit and turn her head at it all :rolleyes:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

It's going to be gorgeous!

And I may be swimming upstream here, but I like the look of the plain wood.

No, no... all opinions are counted.

Your not the only one that has said that. It's why I'm asking folks, becasue I'm torn both ways. ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

How about something that blends better with the natural wood? Leave the natural wood exposed and perhaps add just a line of Celtic knotwork or the ilk or perhaps one symbol on the outside?

Oh I intend to leave the wood showing.... it's lovel,y dark Jacobean wood.

Wonderful resonance....

Maybe a thin line of knots with the occational Mermaid or shell interwoven in.

Something smple but striking and VERY Sea worthy. ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

okay now... how sweet is this?

Brian from Brians Beaters (Tipper) used to play the Bodhran, has made me m'own Tipper! (Chuckle)

The Iron Bess Celtic Knot.

I'm ..... hoping he's not thinking I ought to be fight'n with it ;)

Sweet!

BrainsBeaterCK1.jpg

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Wow - I'm jealous!

Don't be.... never used a Beater this long before although he says the hit points are within my usual range of 8 1/2. Well see how well we work togther.

What I am most happy with is that it's 200 year old wood!

We'll see. ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh man!

That is incredible!

And the drum!

WOW!

Just amazing

Thank you Ace... I'm very excited about it.

But it all comes down to the sound, right? No matter how beautiful it is it has to have a deep, rich tone. But Mance Drums are wonderful so I know it will be the last drum I ever get.

Should have it just before Christmas! Merry Merry!! ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'm not familier with drums at all, but I know a good piece of art/craftsmanship when I see it. Very nice.

As for decoration, hummmm....I leaning toward Red-Handed Jill's opinion that it should be left pretty much alone. The wood is so lovely. If anything, maybe a repeat of the small knot design on the head of the tipper?

Hope I get to hear you play it next year at Ojai! <_<

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hope I get to hear you play it next year at Ojai! <_<

Oh... I pretty much think you can count on it begining at Spring Ojai! :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

thank you.... still mulling it over.

Our own Billy Bones has offered to help decorate it as well. That wood is truly beautiful...

Still, we'll see. :(

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Wow!!

The Beater arrived yesterday! It's stunning!!

And ( :unsure: ) he even burned the name *Iron Bess* into the grip!

How lucky I am :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

What I am most happy with is that it's 200 year old wood!

We'll see. B)

Such a shame... he couldn't find 300 year old wood... so young.... B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well, it’s been *raised up* so to speak…

It’s 200 year old maple that has been brought up from the lakes in Wisconsin by the Ashland Timber co.

And I’m here to tell ya… it makes GREAT Tippers! (chuckle) I kinda like the thought of a seafaring Tipper that comes to me from *the depths* ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif