Ship's Lanterns, Rush Candles, Frog Lanterns &c

In our modern world today, we can have light whenever we want, in just about any amount we want, and we don't have to set fire to anything to get it. Just throw a switch, push a button, turn a knob and the ceiling lamp, flashlight, or portable lantern is ready to help us keep from crashing into, tripping over, or falling off of our environment.

What were one's options with regard to lighting in the 17th and 18th centuries (apart, of course, from doing without)? What did the lamps use, oil? What did they look like? Were torches just sticks with one end afire or was there more to it than that? Did the guys in the magazine work in the dark or was there some sort of safety lantern used? Zippo™ and Bic™ were centuries away. How did they light things when they didn't have a handy fire? What did those tools look like?

I'll just sit here and listen, k?

~~Cap'n Bob

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I don't know alot about lighting in the 17th and 18th centuries (but frankly, I'm dying to learn), but I can share with you one type of light that was pretty typical and used by all levels of society. The rush light.

Rush lights were simple stands into which you clamped a single rush. The stand looked like one of those things you use to hold the hook when you're tying fishing lures -- a foot with about a 8-10" upright with a clamp off to one side. The rush (which is a type of tall grass) was dipped in tallow (rendered animal fat) and lit.

Candles were of course in use, but beeswax was expensive and even tallow was costly (and takes a lot of stinky work to make). Rushes were the common man's lighting system.

Rush lights were around as early as the middle ages, but I have seen rush light holders that date from the 18th century.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Here's an article about fat lamps in the 18thC...

http://www.continentalline.org/articles/ar...&article=950405

Here's the wiki list o' light sources...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_sources

Duh... of course, Betty Lamps... couldn't think of the name...

I remember one time at... the National Colonial Farm...???... watching a woman do a weaving demo by candle light... using a spermaceti candle... those suckers are amazing... bright light... no soot... she only lit it for a sec because... obviously you really can't get sperm whale candles anymore...

There's this pretty neat external link from the wiki link above...

http://www.ramshornstudio.com/early_lighting_1.htm

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Spermaceti candles may be just a tad bit later than our period. Earliest references to them in colonial America that I have found thus far are 1750ish. A NPS site referenced a Jewish candlemaker bringing the process to America about then. But it didn't say how long the process existed in Europe before coming to America.

Fwiw, sperm whales are fascinating creatures. Read the wiki article if you don't believe me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_whale

My Home on the Web

Interesting timing, I was just browsing a nautical catalog and found red and green glass .....prisms.... for lack of a better word. these had a flat round base on one end and came to a point at the other. It looks as if these were set into the deck to cast light into the holds/decks below. I assume it would work only if it were, 1 daytime and 2 the deck was directly below the topside deck. I guess you could set them into the bulkhead. It's the first I'd seen of this and it made sense.

Hey Dog, is that what the catalog says they were used for? Does it give a date at all?

Interesting stuff... <_<

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Those are known as, oddly enough, 'Deck Prisims'.... I have one in plain glass, it has a slight greenish tint to it.... the best I've heard is they 'invented' in the late 19th century for luxury yachts... But I have to believe that they have an older history...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

do a google search for Deck Prism... intersting indeed...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Aye Gerl...

Ni h-ea fadhb.........

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Scotts?

Hmmmm..... Gaelic....

Irish Gaelic......

The Deck prism is also known as a 'deadlight'....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I'd thought that "deadlights" were interior shutters placed over the gallery windows to allow a sailing ship to truly run dark. I believe I got that from the works of Angus Konstam.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Kass,

Ni h-ea fadhb in english, no problem...

Jack,

I'll admit, I'm uncertain, but mayhaps the deck prisms and the shutters were refered as the same thing? I cannot say, as I was quoting a source, mayhaps not the best one...

Steele,

Aye, slang term fer eyes...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I found more out about deadlights...

They are, essentially, portholes or portlights that cannot or are not made to open...

Today, a deadlight is an interior porthole window...

So, I guess the deck prism would be a horizontal deadlight...

Google is a grande thing...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ok, my daughter last saw the catalog and now it's disappeared, I found the link below and it shows some actual deck prisms recovered from wrecks. It doesnt give a date though.

I'll try to nail down a date for them when I get home this evening... I suspect they are late 1700s or early 1800s.

My Home on the Web

I've been schooled by my own brother (a retired Navy captain) that "Deadlights are windows that allow the passive transmission of light in to or out of the vessel. Shuttering of the deadlights is done to secure the vessel for nocturnal action."

So, ol' Jack was off the mark yet again... :rolleyes:;)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Jack.... Jaaaack....... JAAAACK!!!!

No worries mate....

Life is a learning experience.... when ye stop learnin', life ends...

So.... Learn something new every day... and live well....

:lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif