Button holes

MorganTyre

Ok, it's time to button up my short vest. I know how to sew button holes but I'm not sure of placement and orientation. First, vertical holes or horizontal? I'm guessing horizontal (perpendicular to most modern shirts). Also, how about side of shirt. The conventional placement is buttons to starboard, holes to port on mens shirts but was this always the case? I've come too far to screw up a detail like these.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Yes to horizontal buttonholes on all items.

I've placed the buttonholes on the left hand side (me looking out) and the buttons on the right (again from my perspective looking out).

So someone looking at me would see the buttonholes on the right hand side (from their pespective) and the buttons on the left side (from their perspective).

As someone (GoF?) mentioned on another thread recently, there should be about 11 (10 to 12) buttons on the front of a short waistcoat, the buttons should be evenly spaced between the top of the front of the waistcoat and the navel area (as in belly button region). So the spacing will vary somewhat depending on how long of a body you have. Two or three buttons/buttonholes on the cuffs, and buttons/buttonholes on the pockets (if you have added any) are optional, but one or three would probably work best for a common impression.

Another option I have seen on a few period illustrations (I think posted somewhere in twill), are buttons and buttonholes in pairs, so two buttons/buttonholes close together (maybe half to 3/4 of an inch?), a space of an inch and a half and then the next two buttons/buttonholes close together and so one and so forth. This is less common from the images I have seen, but I am sure I have seen it... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Someone suggested to me leaving off a button as if missing, or perhaps a mismatched one for authenticity.

Also I have some great buttons carved from shell. I'm wondering if they are period? Perhaps on a shirt or haversack

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Horizontal buttonholes have been what I've been doing.

Never really mind doing buttonholes... just sometimes they are time consuming when I haven't the time. :lol:

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!