Some Knotwork

MorganTyre

Here are a couple of pieces I just finished up. The one on the left is a needlecase for myself. The one on the right was a commissioned bellrope for an 8-inch bell. Both were tied with the same type of line, just #24 cotton mason line. The needlecase has been varnished, the bellrope is awaiting a finish - probably white paint.

Knots.jpg

Knots2.jpg

Here's the details:

Needlecase -

Case is a segment of bamboo. Cork is a shaved wine cork. Knots from top to bottom are:

3 strand flat braid (plat) for cork lanyard secured to cork with a matthew walker knot on the inside.

3x5 Turkshead on cork, tripled

6x5 Turkshead, doubled

Grafting

3x8 Turkshead, tripled

Bellrope -

Ringbolt hitching around thimble

Pudding Core

4x3 Turkshead, doubled

4 strand crown sennit

3x5 Turkshead, doubled

8 strand crown sennit

6x5 Turkshead, doubled

8strand crown sennit

3x8 Turkshead, doubled

Grafting

8x7 Turkshead, doubled

If anyone is interested I do do commissioned items though not many any my turn around time can be long (depending on how much free time I have). I typically charge by the hour. If anyone is interested just let me know (though the primary point of this post is not to drum up business). My next large project will probably be a full sized cat of nine tales complete with hand-sewn canvas bag. I'll post pictures when it's done though right now it's time to start on my Jacket project.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Morgan

Way cool dude.

Would it be possible to post rough estimates of time involved for the two projects above.

That is probably a tricky way of saying, "wow, i would love something like that, I wonder how much it would cost?"

If you would rather not post it online, send me a pm...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks everyone for the interest.

Would it be possible to post rough estimates of time involved for the  two projects above.

At best I could give some rough estimates as the needlecase was for myself and I wasn't keeping track and the bellrope was a set price before I started so I wasn't keeping track there either. All in all I'd say about three hours for knotwork on the needlecase. Maybe not quite that much. Grafting always seems like it is taking longer than it is. The bellrope I probably have five hours in to (once again probably a high-ish estimate) Making up the pudding takes more time than one would think. All those damn constrictor knots.... As for pricing - I normally figure about $10 an hour + materials so that needlecase is probably about $30 as pictured and the bellrope about $50.

Ropework_Header.jpg

My Grandfather(on my mother's side) was a Navy Sailor, he did a lot of knot work like this before I was born and some after I was born.

Now I just wish I was more interested in pyracy/Sailor type skills when I was younger when he was still with us. Oh what he could of probably taught me.

I have a few pieces of his knotwork still laying about the house. And seeing this thread ( :lol: ) makes me want to take up this wonderful craft of knot working.

Can anyone suggest any books that would be helpful? (please PM them to me to keep this thread free of frayed knots.)

:rolleyes:

Here's another needlecase showing a different finish. This one has been coated in real pine tar - actually a blend of pine tar, turpentine, varnish, and japan drier. This makes for a nice work-boat finish that I really like. The picture doesn't do it justice as the actual knotting seems obscured but in real life this isn't the case. The pine tar also gives it a fantastic, if aquired, smell that you can literally sense across the room. Also pictured is a small turkshead on the end of my fid plus another showing a couple of tools and a soon-to-be-made needlecase of a different style.

Knots3.jpg

Knots4.jpg

Knots5.jpg

Ropework_Header.jpg

I forgot to mention, the pine tar case is identical to the varnished one except for the stopper lanyard which in the varnished case is a three-strand sennit (think braided hair) and in the tarred is a four strand square sennit. I think I prefer this because the standard three strand braid is just SOOOO familiar.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I would love to but don't have a local supply for anything I really like and I like to be able to handle the material to make sure it's really suitable before ordering anything. I have made some stuff in the past out of larger hemp line - cast offs from the local columbus shp replica's but now even that's unavalable - the ships were re-rigged with manilla.

Ropework_Header.jpg