Pub Cookbook

LadyBarbossa

I LOVE to cook (but can't clean up all that well worth a spit).

Bought some salt Pork the other day (was and still is available at the HyVee supermarket here) and started experimenting with it on a few recipes I have for reenactment cooking.

So, I began to wonder (as I often do) about all you out there. Your cooking and recipes, etc.

How's about some swapping of recipes or some ideas? What have you tried and is good in a dutch oven or on a spit... or in a copper boiler... maybe over a brazier...

I'll type up some recipes here when I get some more time.

But in the meantime... let's hear yours! Who knows, may put this into a REAL cookbook to pass around to the Pub members.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

hmmmmmm.

1 dutch oven

2 some nice hunks of meat

3 veggies

4.stock of some sort water flour and fixings

5. open fire

couple bottles of rum

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Hot Cocoa Mix

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup non dairy creamer

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 tsp salt

Mix and store in air tight container.

Add 4 Tbs cocoa mix to 3/4 cup milk or water

Heat

Stir until dissolved

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Actually Maeve and I were working on one to have Published..But aye this is defintiely a good topic and i can vouch for the Hot chocolate..will edit my recipe later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Coolies. Mom makes it similiarly like that, too.

The Hot Chocolate I fancy making occassionally is truly an aphrodesiac and a hell of a drink!

It's from Tidings of the 18th Century by Beth Gilgun and it's 18th c hot chocolate.

Take 1 cup of water. Shave 1/4 ounce chocolate (unsweetened or bakers) into the water and boil. Add 2 tablespoons of loaf sugar and continue to boil for a short time. Be careful to watch the pot as the chocolate is inclined to bubble over. If you are going to add mile, add about 1/2 cup and boil the chocolate with the milk in it. Pour into a coup and grate some nutmeg on top.

I've used organic sugar or sugar cubes. I've made it with just the water and with just milk. The half milk, half water is ok. Altering the water and milk to taste really and is best that way. :)

My mom has a LOT of cookbooks of recipes from my Grandma, great Grandma and ladies from farming communities on cooking. Eventually I hope to attempt some of their recipes in a dutch oven, in pots and other 18th c camping cookery.

I've only done two stews at events (cause of the camp rations they gave us) and that was a beef stew and a chicken noodle soup.

Beef stew was easy enough having cut up the beef into stew portions. peeled and cubed the potatoes, shaved off and sliced up carrots, and peels and sliced up onions. Cooking the beef in water for at least 15 minutes over an already hot water. Then tossing in the potatoes, carrots and onions into the beef and the stock now. Then letting it cook then simmer until it comes to the verge of mush (cause apparently my Commander likes it that way).

Chicken Noodle... boil a whole chicken for a couple hours at least in water in a dutch over. Remove chicken and pull good meat off bones. Discard bones, use chicken stock that was made from cooking the chicken in the water. shave and slice up carrots, slice up celery, add egg noodles ( that you either bought or made) and allow to cook for at least an hour.

Corn on the cob. Not perfected yet but it has worked.

Peel back but don't remove the husks. Remove the silk. Butter lavishly the corn. Cover corn back up with still attatched husks, then place on coals or embers, or rack, or rock next to the fire.

Cook there for at least a half hour, recommended 45 mins. It cooks slowly.

Lamb roast in a dutch oven.

I tell ya... I bought one, cooked it.. and it went faster than I could say "Tarleton's coming!"

And all I did was put a small lamb roast in a dutch oven, with a little water to cover the bottom of the oven and kept ensuring that there was a little water the whole time. Added bay leaves to the water and atop the lamb roast with sage. Took about 4 hours to cook with it sitting next to the fire and embers ontop the dutch over lid... but again the lamb roast was a huge hit.

I did likewise with a beef roast, but with peppercorn, basil and parsley.

Mashed potatoes (white or sweet) generaly just boiling the potatoes in a copper boiler. Then remove and mash. Add butter and a touch of milk. top with parsley or other herbs as you wish.

Camp cooking for me hasn't been something extravagant. Yet. Until I get more time and events to cook.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Aye, Syren and I are attempting to put together a cookbook with sections of both period and non-period food.

As for hot chocolate, if you want a truly amazing cup of hot cocoa, may I recommend brewing a cup made with evaporated milk. You will NOT be sorry.

And for some amazing chocolate, Lake Champlain makes some of THE best:

http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/Cho...-Chocolate.aspx

I have tried the Old World, Aztec, and Organic, and all are amazing and well worth the price for a sip of "sin".

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

Ahoy, mates!

I be shocked that no one has submitted a recipe for that perennial pirate favorite salmagundi! This is the colloquial French name for a highly seasoned cold salad. Salmagundi was a favorite food of the Caribbean Buccaneers, who carried it north to the Atlantic and east to West Africa and Madagascar. Bartholomew Roberts was eating salmagundi for breakfast when he was rudely interrupted by the British Navy off the coast of West Africa in 1722.

The strong seasonings and fresh vegetables and fruits added variety to a diet of dried and smoked foods. Meat of any kind, including turtle, duck, or pigeon, was roasted, chopped into chunks, and marinated in spiced wine. Imported salted meat, herring, and anchovies also were added. When ready to serve, the smoked and salted meats were combined with hard-boiled eggs and whatever fresh or pickled vegetables were available, including palm hearts, cabbage, mangos, onions, and olives. The result was a stirred together with oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard seed, and other seasons.

I found a modern recipe for this conncoction at Pirate Pete’s. Here goes:

Ingredients:.....

1 lb. Corned beef

1 tin Anchovies.

1 lb. Goat meat

3 large Onions

3 lb's Miscellaneous Pickled Vegetables

6 diced, hard-boiled eggs

1 lb Apples ( dried is ok ) or Raisins, or Bread fruit, or Mango

1 Small Bottle of Wine

lard, shortening, or cooking oil, For browning the meat

Seasonings to taste but I recommend salt, pepper, garlic, and some form of hot sauce

Cook like this.

Hack meat into Gobbets,

Brown with onions,

When brown add the rest of the Ingredient

Simmer till done, Feel free to add any spices to your liking then serve!

The best thing about this is that you can substitute whatever you have for some of the ingredients and still have a great, period meal.

Bon appetit! Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

My take on some good old Corned beef and cabbage.

1 3-4lb slab of corned beef

1 can of pickling spice

1 bag of small red potatos

1 nice sized head of cabbage

6 or more bottles of Guinness

1 bottle of Irish whiskey

In a very large pan place the corned beef. Cover one side with pickling spice completely. Fill with water. Add 1 bottle of Guinness and 1 shot of whiskey. (some what optional: open another bottle for yourself and do a shot) Bring to a good boil and let it go for about 2 hours. Turn down the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer over night. When you get up the next day you might need to add more water. When you do go ahead and add another bottle of Guinness and shot of whiskey. All together the meat should cook for about 12 hours. (nice and tender) About an hour before serving take out the meat and put in the potatos and cabbage and cook until tender. (should be about an hour)

Invite some friends over and drink the rest of the Guinness and Irish whiskey.

SHEPHERDS PIE!

this is just one way to make it

<_<

1 onion, diced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 lb. lamb, minced

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 large carrot, diced

1 beef stock cube

1 lb. chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon corn flour

3 tablespoons tomato puree

pinch of salt and pepper

2 lb. potatoes

1 stick butter

This is how to make shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.

Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until soft. Add minced lamb and stock cube, then cook until the mince is brown and shows a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, and add the corn flour. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes and boil until soft, then mash them with the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the filling into a deep dish, then top with the mashed potatoes and put under a warm grill (broiler) until the top is brown and crisp.

Delicious topped with melted cheese. Enjoy!