Sleeping and washing...

Bilgemunky

Much has been discussed in these forums about how to dress and what sort of tents to use, but I haven't seen much on two important topics...

1) How to sleep. Well, in tent for most, obviously. But are folks just hiding their Coleman sleeping bags during the day (I doubt it), or are they doing something a bit more period? What should us newbies consider bringing for sleeping? A small light wool blanket? Some sort of period sleeping mat (does such a thing exist?) Etc. For that matter, what other camp necesities would be considered bare minimum for personal items? A small lantern maybe?

2) What are the "facilities" like? We'll be staying here for four days, does anyone shower? Or is this an extended break from showering, teeth brushing, etc? I imagine port-o-potties are available at the very least.

Like most folks, I can be pretty flexible, but it's good to know what to plan for. Any advice in either of these two respects is greatly appreciated.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Personally,

I will be sleeping on an air matress, with modern blankets and pillows and the such... But because of that, I am also going to be very careful to keep my period(ish) tent closed and tightly sealed up at all times so as my modern creature comfort items do not spoil the ambiance.

If I was going to go all hardcore on the sleeping stuff, it would be a wool blanket to sleep on, and perhaps roll my self into for warmth, and another wadded up blanket to use as a pillow (or perhaps even a wadded item of clothing, as I have done in the past).

Showers and bathroom facilities is a good question though...

Michael_banner.jpg

1) How to sleep

One or two light wool blankets work well, and you don't have to hide them....

Inside the Fort there is grass, so a sleeping pad isn't needed.... I don't know if in the Careening Camp there is the crushed up bark on the ground or not, so a light weight camping pad under a ground cloth might not be a bad idea.....

A ground cloth is handy to have though... it keeps you blankets from getting dirty. It can be just a chunk of canvas or heavy cloth.

If you paint it with a 50-50 mixture of terpentine and linseed oil and let it dry in a shady area for about two weeks it will be waterproof, so if it rains, you can fold it over your blankets and keep them dry.....

would be considered bare minimum for personal items? A small lantern maybe?

Lanterns are kinda nice to have, but you can get by without one if you had to.

A tankard is handy tho... not only in camp, but when we go to the pubs...

2) What are the "facilities" like?

There is a small bathroom with running water just outside the fort.... but if you want to take a shower, there is one near the beach .... but it's more for washing the sand off after swimming.... and it's not inclosed.... B)

I'm going to bring a large canvas with loops and rope to put it around the showers on the beach. Then at night we could take turns using a shower that actually is enclosed.

The bathrooms are very nice and within walking distance. Flushing toilets and sinks with running water.

I second Patrick on the two blankets. I brought just the one in 2005 and we had colder nights then. The grass on the parade ground in the fort doesn't require a pad or mattress. I used a rolled up bit of canvas over a coat for a pillow.

As for lighting, Key West has its degree of light polution, so it isn't too dark at night. The beach is a little darker, so a small period lantern would be great if you can come by one. We were going to have a group buy on lanterns, but they've been out of stock.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Air Mattresses? Coleman sleeping bags? Did you not read the sensitive ear thread? No one is going to sleep so why bring all that stuff??? B)

Honestly, for the die hards, like the Archangel crew "just recently released from the pc extreme asylum" nuts... oops I mean folks... we sleep in our clothes (woolen coats and jackets will most likely be more than warm enough), on the ground or in hammocks (which, hopefully, the new ones will be finished by Pip) with a woolen blanket or two...

Now I was just reading an account that some men had some sort of bedding that was theirs, which the writer was saying sounds to be more like some form of stuffed ticking mattress that could be put inside the hammock for additional comfort... now to remember where I read that so you all can have a reference... it was actually listed in some of the seamen's wills....

for washing... a pitcher and basin of water, a chunk of soap and your straight edge...but...** looking confused** do we really need to be clean?? oh by the way scrapping yer teeth would be pc...

For the others, if you have the sleeping bags, (my snotties do because they always seem to be cold no matter who else is sweating to death and can't sleep due to the heat) just roll em up and stash them under a wool blanket during the day... no one will know the difference... as to getting about at night, if you have a proper lantern, just use that... if not a small flashlight, you can also tuck away during the day should be fine as well.

And for kids, if you're bringing them, I recommend some sort of battery operated light for after hours, just for safety sake... depending on their ages, candles just don't cut it...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Now I was just reading an account that some men had some sort of bedding that was theirs, which the writer was saying sounds to be more like some form of stuffed ticking mattress that could be put inside the hammock for additional comfort... now to remember where I read that so you all can have a reference... it was actually listed in some of the seamen's wills....

It is sometimes referred to as a "Donkey's Breakfest", which is little more than a bag stuffed with straw. I hear that straw is hard to come by in Key West, but for those of you who are driving...

"This was the sailor name for the straw-stuffed bag of hessian which up to the Second World War was the only sleeping paillasse used by merchant seamen. It is even referred to in an early sea-ballad of 1400; "A sak of strawe were there right good." As the seamen headed toward his ship on sailing day, with a seabag over one shoulder, he would call on a dockside chandler, buy his donkey's breakfast, and hitch it up over his other shoulder. If it were pouring with rain, he'd sleep that night on its sodden straw, and before the voyage was over the straw would have wormed itself into great knotted lumps and possibly become the home of vicious bedbugs."

It is sometimes referred to as a "Donkey's Breakfest", which is little more than a bag stuffed with straw.  I hear that straw is hard to come by in Key West, but for those of you who are driving...

"This was the sailor name for the straw-stuffed bag of hessian which up to the Second World War was the only sleeping paillasse used by merchant seamen.  It is even referred to in an early sea-ballad of 1400;  "A sak of strawe were there right good."  As the seamen headed toward his ship on sailing day, with a seabag over one shoulder,  he would call on a dockside chandler,  buy his donkey's breakfast,  and hitch it up over his other shoulder.  If it were pouring with rain,  he'd sleep that night on its sodden straw,  and before the voyage was over the straw would have wormed itself into great knotted lumps and possibly become the home of vicious bedbugs."

Thank you William, now I don't have to go a hunting...

*** If folks were to make the canvas sack, would it be possible for the Ft. to ship in some bales? Just curious... in which case we might need a head count on who would actually want some...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Crewe of the Archangel

Thank you William, now I don't have to go a hunting...

*** If folks were to make the canvas sack, would it be possible for the Ft. to ship in some bales? Just curious... in which case we might need a head count on who would actually want some...

We should also politely ask some of those who are bringing a trailer if they could bring straw with them, but I will ask Harry at the next opportunity.

Absolutely... and, before we even bother the others... perhaps a head count of anyone that may actually be interested in straw bedding... if no one is, then that solves looking for a way to transport the item in...

Crewe of the Archangel

i will mention this for those who chose to partake ....i will have a propane powered warm water shower and enclosure (camaflogued with a canvas wall around it)that we can set up in a discreet loacation near the careening camp and any who choose to use said shower; i'd just ask you help defray the cost of the propane i'm sure that using a hose from the restrooms would allow us a constant flow of warm water for all to get themselves clean with....

many hobby/artsupply shops have inexpensive period looking candle lanterns that won't break the bank but think of a way to hang them prior to your arrival ....some light weight chain from the hardware looped over the ridgepole of your tent make sure it is long enough to keep the hot lantern away from the canvas (i usually suggest 3 feet of lightweight chain per lantern)

as for bedding i use a therm-a-rest covered in a canvas cover and no one is the wiser to what's inside with a wool blanket or two and flat sheets if you can't stand the wool on your skin .......

Aye, showeres with heated water or not are good...........but in a pinch baby wipes and rubbing alcohol will suffice as well....one way or the other there are ways to keep from being....shall we say less then authentic ;)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

HEY!!!!!

Howcomes Mad Dog gets 1st billing all the time!!!

I can be just as ripe as he can!! Infact I'm gonna start right now, just to prove it B)

NO MORE BATHING TILL PIP :rolleyes:

Yeah!!! We'll see who has the last laugh!! :lol:

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 6 years later...

dis t'read a bit old now, but I t'ought I might ask me questions 'ere, as dey seems ta be related...

we now live full time in our RV and it is how we will be travelling down to PIP 2014.

I know that there are no hook-up on site, but I was wondering if there are restrictions regarding entering with and parking an RV in the parking area. I do seem to remember one or two back in '09

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

You'll want to check with Leigh/Lily Alexander on that one. A LOT has changed since 2009 as far as park rules are concerned, so it could go either way. You can find her email all over the FTPI Website.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Please don't refer to our event as PIP. Two separate events and it confuses people.

Yes, there is RV parking. The rules regarding RV's and such haven't changed in many years. After you submit your registration and release of liability forms, you will be sent all the necessary guidelines for our event. There are no changes from last year so you can still view 2013 info here: https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/19232-ftpi-forms-and-information-2013/ Registration forms for past participants will begin Sept 15th. Open registration, Oct 1st.

1. RV’s, Campers and Camper Vans – Please observe these regulations:
    1. The speed limit of 15 mph is strictly enforced.
    2. Dumping of sewer tanks, either gray or black, anywhere on the property (including bathrooms) is strictly prohibited. Violations of this will result in a fine and immediate eviction from the park.
    3. Generators are not permitted during the hours that the park is open to the public: 8:00am – sunset. Please respect others during the evening hours and turn off generators after 10:00pm.
    4. No washing of dishes in the restroom or showers.
    5. Water is only available as designated. Filling RV water tank containers is prohibited.
    6. No open fires are allowed anywhere in the Park except in designated areas of the encampment. Gas stoves and braziers are allowed but NO open fire pits.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/