Cutlass w/ Shell Guard

Gsc

After searching this board for a few weeks on and off, I have looked at all the sword/cutlass posts... Through this I discovered Old Dominion Forge... His cutlasses were EXACTLY what I was looking for- beautiful, historically accurate, and the clamshell guards that I love.

I emailed Old Dominion Forge to place an order (I had/have $900 saved up) to get "the perfect" cutlass... He replied that they are currently NOT taking any more orders... looks like I'm out of luck...

Do y'all know of any other forges/swordsmiths making period correct clamshell guard cutlasses?

I've been watching ebay and doing google searches for some time... nothing meets the quality of the Old Dominion Forge items so far...

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.....

Ok my friend....Here's the scoop and in no way am I an expert..

The questions you have to ask yourself are as follows:

1.) How much do you have to spend?

2.) (As Mad Dog would say..) Hanger or Banger?

Banger= Used for staged combat and reenacting.

Hanger= "Man that is one nice sword, Look out!!.... Dude you just cut my arm off.....Clang! Clang! Snap! $200.00 to 600.00 fluuuuuuush!!!"

3.) Refer to question one again!

If this is just for renfaire or such there are some cheaper off shoots which will be just fine for the looks.

On the Pirate Brethren Site, they have a whole discription for agreed upon terms where blades are considered.

So the question now is hanger or banger??

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I guess alittle of both. I would like a QUALITY period correct cutlass that I could use/wear both at Ren Faires & at historical re-enactments...I'm tired of these cheaply made items that flood the market.... I want something to be proud of.

I do a google search for the site you mentioned and check it out. THANKS!

Graham

WOW- Thanks Rats- I just finished looking at the Pirate Brethren Site...alot of good info and links from there for period items... still didn't find a cutlass I liked..did read that Old Dominion Forge has a 2 year wait WHEN he is taking orders... oh well, probably just need to let it go and stick with the cutlass I already have... Thanks for the tip...

Graham

It's just too early, and I'm a bit nervous, (gotta go see the doc today ), and I'm brain dead! There is an outfit that sells historical weapons that many from here have ordered from and I cannot recall the name to save my butt! They did offer at one time the very cutlass you seek for a good price. As to quality I cannot testify, but hopefully someone who is awake and thinking will chime in with this info. I'm still waiting o my coffee too, so that doesn't help !

AHHHH! Amazing what a little caffiene will do for the brain..LOYALIST ARMS is the place to check. Hope this helps.

Bo

I have the Museum replicas version, and the clamshell and knuckle bow are two different pieces, rather than a single forged piece. I'd call Loyalist and see if that is the story with their version. It looks great, but as far as I can tell, that is not the way the original iron-hilted swords were made. (for some reason I'm thinking that brass hilts were made that way, but I'm probably wrong.) There are many otheres on this board much more knowledgeable about swords than I, and I would wait until they weighed in as well.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Thank you...I'll go find the LOYALIST ARMS website and check out what they have. I have seen the Museum Replicas version but it just wasn't what I was looking for...THANKS ALOT for the lead.....

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a Loyalist "Dutch Cutlass" but am planning on buying the Windlass version. There's nothing wrong with it, with the exception of the "scabbard".

shellcut.jpg

I'll part with it for $100 (US sale only, US Postal Money Order preferred). APO should be OK also.

If interested, contact me at flpyrate@yahoo.com

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Dro a note to Scotty at Darkwood Armory. he can do anything with the same quality Old Dominion can do without the wait and probably moderately less expensive:

www.darkwoodarmory.com

:P

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

I immediately went to Darkwood's site to take a look.

Here is what I found...

0879.JPG

I have to admit, it looks pretty good. I think they have done a good job with the shell guard.

The sticky wicket (there always seems to be one, doesn't there?) is that, much like the ODF and other high end makers, is time and price.

From the Darwoods site, relating to the hanger cutlass above...

The blade on these sabers are made to order and as such are not always available quickly...

These styles may take as long as 8-10 weeks during normal business backlog.

Also, the price is $700... which is in league with other makers for this type/quality.

The thing to hope for is that they don't have a 2 year wait list to get on the wait list...

So if you are interested, you might want to contact them to get your place in line squared away.

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

any idea how their blades hold up?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I sent them an e-mail, asking some questions (and pointing out that some of their thumbnail links are dead) and will post the response i get from them here.

I am not really sure whether their blades are historically accurate or more or less intended for theatrical sword play....

Will let you know what I find

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I've got the Dussage with Sinclair hilt from Darkwood, pictures are on here somewhere. Darkwood has a good reputatuion amongst the SCA for being durable blades. I was a bit disappointed in the finishing details. You could see the cut marks on the little nubs on the tips of the quillions. There were still some grind marks on the blade. I can take some pictures if anybody would like to see what I'm talking about. I still love it though. It looks awesome from about 5-10 ft away, has a great heft to it, and I'm confident, it is not sharp, that I can beat someone pretty nastily with it.

I'd recommend Darkwood.

He does custom work too, so if they aren't historically accurate I'm sure you can work with him.

As for the delay in getting my sword. A lot of the time was taken up with the scabbard because of the blade shape.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

The great thing about Scotty is you can send it back for "cleanup and unless its something really outside your order specs he won't charge you for it. Mine is a clamshell hybrid of two different historical cutlasses from about 1690. He even added in the faux ivory handle with a matching dirk; antique blued steel and all. I use it as my Instructors piece when teaching the HMCA classes.

Monterey Jack

Darkwood can do sharps or theatrically sound. They all hold up really well. Of course if you intend to beat the crap out of a sharp he's not going to be responsible for mishandling the weapon; so its all relative I guess.

Monterey Jack

I've currently got 4 Darkwood long blades and a couple of daggers. 3 of them are rapiers for fencing and I have one of his shell guard cutlasses for re-enactment. I couldn't be happier with them. Those who know me also know that I am hard on blades and use them as they were meant to be used. They hold up well and have given me no problems over the last 5 years. Never seen any problems with the finishing, though. Well made and well finished. The weight on the cutlass is about half that of a similar blade from Armour Class. Good value and well made pieces.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...