Camp food and chow ideas

Rats

I thought I'd throw out some ideas and also look for some recipes...

For starters, at Pike River, we had an excellent stew which I have no idea as to the contents. But my missus and sister out- I mean in-law made some very tasty shish-ka-bombers. We also had some very good corn on the cobb and fresh bread. All seemed simple to throw together and the variety was nice.

Breakfast was very nice with eggs, ham, potatos and a corn cake???

I suppose some pancakes and bacon would also be an easy fix... However it seems bonless porkchops $4 for 4-6 are cheaper than a side of ham or a couple pounds of bacon...

BTW: GAoP or not, it's been years since I had a good potato pancake... Anyone have a good recipe???

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

There's my grandmother's recipe. It's very simple.

1 potato per person then add one more at the end

1 egg for every 2 potato

1 medium onion for every 3 potatoes (fraction for less)

salt & pepper to tatse.

Grate the the onion and potatoes together. add eaggs and salt & pepper and mix with hands. Heat about 1/2 of oil (I use canola) in an iron skillet. When it sizzles when put a drop of water in the pan it's ready. If you wish you can test for seasoning by taking a small amount of your potatoe mixture and frying it up in the pand.

When it just right add spoonful with slotted spoon to the mixture. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon. When one is golden bron flip over. Fry that side till golden brown. Draimn on paper or paper grocery bas and sprikle on extra salt if desired.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

One of my favorite period recipes is Indian Pudding. Delicious, simple, filling and totally correct. Best of all, it can be made in advance then gently reheated at the event. Add a splash of fresh cream and serve.

Ah, bliss...

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal

3 cups milk, heated to just below a boil

1/2 cup molasses

1 egg, beaten

1 cup raisins

1/4 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup darkest possible rum

1 cup cold milk

Heat the milk. Stir in molasses, then stir in cornmeal. Let sit 5 minutes. Add egg, spices, sugar, rum and raisins. Pour into buttered baking dish. Place in 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Pour cold milk on top, then bake for 2 hours. Serve hot or cold with fresh cream.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

We eat LOTS of venison at our camps as we have alot of deer and success at hunting here. Roasted on green sticks over the campfire....

OK, I gotta stop there <_<

For a breakfast that feeds a small army, or at least a small unit;

1 dz. eggs

1lb bacon or sausage

6 large 'taters

1 sweet onion

several large portabello mushrooms

salt&pepper

1/2 stick of butter

1small brick of Velveeta cheese stuff

a large cast iron skillet to cook in.

Cut 'taters into small squares around a half inch, slice onion, and cut bacon into inch long pieces. Fry it all together in butter until 'taters get soft.

Whip up the eggs in a bowl, slice mushrooms and cut cheese into small squares so it melts easier.

Throw in the cheese and mushrooms and when the cheese is good and sticky, pour the eggs over all of that mess and continue cooking til the eggs are done. Salt & pepper to taste and it's ready to eat.

This has been a White Trash favorite since we first camped together back in 1988, and is an "ancient" campfire recipe.

Enjoy... Bo

Mashed potatoes

Flour

Herbs

Salt and pepper

Mix them together until they form a kind of dough. Scoop out some, form into a ball and flatten it. Keep doing this until you're out of dough.

Put some butter in a pan and fry them until crisp on both sides. They are a really good base for a stew or sauteed veggies. Or just smear some very soft cheese on one and eat it like bread.

RHJMap.jpg

Bread pudding is essentially a loaf of bread (not sliced and NOT fresh), cubed and soaked in milk with vanilla, sugar and spices. When the bread has absorbed the liquid, you put it in a container and bake it. I suppose you could cook it in a dutch oven.

For a simple sauce, cook down butter and brown sugar. Add rum and cook some more.

RHJMap.jpg

The "Oxford Companion of Food" lists pancakes as being mentioned in English cookbooks as early as 1430, so they are certainly period-correct.

I suppose they should be topped with something period-- perhaps some sugar and lemon juice (a British thing) or perhaps molasses.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Oh, this is absolutely wonderful thread. I am enjoying the recipes that are being shared. I will have to go thru one of me mom's old cookbooks to see what I can find to share. I know she used to have some recipes that could be used for camping. She was always proud of her Pennsylvania Dutch and Native American Heritage.

Oh, and thank you Red-Handed Jill for your explanation on Bread Pudding. I never thought I would like it, but now seeing your desctription I may have to try it.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

spotted dick is a staple at our camp. Make it during Saturday and enjoy it cold with maple syrup for Sunday breakfast with a cup of hot coffee on the side.

cut butter into flour & baking powder. add sugar. add water to make dough. kneed in raisins. roll into a log. wrap in cheesecloth/flour sack towel and tie the ends. Steam in a dutch oven until firm. keep an eye on the pot so that the water doesn't run out and burn the dick to the bottom of the pot.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

You know Chole, when you mentioned that at Pike, I thought it was a drink you were talking about. :ph34r:

Now I'm really sorry I missed that!!

R

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

:::Again, dusting self off of seaweed::: I get some shoreleave!

Anyway,... Hmm... I don't often keep a recipe book (yet) of what I cook at events. I usually make due with what I have or can get.

Last year I brought to a Rev War event at the Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL a couple of roasts (Beef, Pork and Lamb), roasted those next to a fire in a dutch oven, veggies in a tin boiler on a rack over the fire with some herbs in it (sage, parsley and some salt), and potatoes in another pot.

I'm still acquiring cooking items, but also still attempting to figure out cooking potatoes in a fire without burning them or losing them to the ashes of the fire.

Generally in the past at events we received "rations" of beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Prep those, put in a dutch oven. Add some various spices (which ever ones any of us had) and cooked as a stew over the fire.

Cooked corn on the cob over a fire, too. Tricky, but obtainable to husk the cob partially, leave some of the husk on, butter the corn cob, then put back the husk and place over the fire to cook. it's just like grilling corn on the cob on your own grill at home.

I've a couple books on 18th c recipes. One of these years I'll try them out when I get the chance. Including one for Saurbraten.

Perhaps I'll mention more delights later.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 months later...

Between the holidays and events upcoming...

* bump *

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...