Pikes, Bills and Hooks

Rats

Anyone have any good pics for Pikes, bills and other various hooks and such?

Since my sword hand has been giving me problems, I'm wondering about two-handed options, which can also be used for demo items....

Thanks again!!!

:lol:

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

AXE.GIF

A nice poleaxe with a hook...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

89088a00.jpg

More axes...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Pole%20Arms.JPG

An assortment...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

By which do you mean a longshoreman's cargo hook, such as this one?

pic532.jpg

There is of course the not-terribly-useful-but-ubiquitous Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshoreman%...%E2%80%99s_hook and a slightly more useful Smithsonian look at more modern cargo hooks at http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthemove/co...object_178.html

I am not sure, however, just how far back the longshoreman's hook goes. 1800s? Certainly. Earlier? I don't know. Anyone have the scoop on that? Anyone know any dated artifacts to push well past the 1850s?

Hey... that's a bailing hook...... I used one (well two ) of those to load feed (straw and hay) when I worked in a feed store......

Well, as mentioned, cargo hooks have been around since at least the mid-1800s; whilst they are symbolically the icon of longshoremen and dockers [even being the symbol for the 1930s longshoremen's union and strike in the 'States], they have likely been picked up as a useful tool by any occupation which deals with moving bales or bundles, whether a ship is involved or no. I've used one myself [!], but alas, that only dates it back to this past decade or so [grins].

I have a question about another useful tool-turned-weapon: the boarding knife. Now, when I say boarding knife, I of course do not refer to a knife or dagger used for a boarding action, but the huge, three-foot long blades with the two-foot handle used to flens blubber from a whale:

boarding_knife2.GIF

I can't seem to find reference to it any earlier than early 19th century, in Boarders Away, vol. 1. Does anyone have any idea of the earliest they were used? They look totally wicked.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well then Rats, start researching to see if they go back far enough... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've into some problems with the boarding knife. Keeping in mind that it was a specialized tool, and not a general purpose sailor's tool, I have come across a number of records that indicate that whaling was prevelant in the colonies during the GAoP, but I haven't been able to find any pictorial evidence. Can anyone point me toward some period images of whaling? And it need not be english colonial whaling. Acadian whaling images would be fine as well.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, since you bumped it...

Lo those many years ago I spoke with the curator of a new england whaling museum (I forgot who) and he suggested that they didn't predate on-board rendering plants, which places them smack dab in the 19th century. And that's why I never made one out a paul chen hanwei rapier blade and beat up Rats with it.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Ah, I meant the boarding knife.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum