Female minimum garb standards

Salty

I've worn the petticoat after I put on the stays. To me, just NOT comfortable to put on the petticoat and tie it in the front and back then put on the stays. Just means those tied knots are under the stays that are pulled close or tight to your body and over time.. it WILL HURT!!! Very uncomfortable. I've seen a couple people on YouTube to a tutorial on how to wear or dress in 18th c attire where they tie the pockets on before the stays go on. Again, it's one of those things... if you don't mind the tied knot jabbing into, do it. Otherwise, it's NOT recommended. Really, honestly, whatever Colonial Williamsburg says, is the most practical and proper way really.

Silkie's right there. Some items really is up to the individual. Really. If you don't want two or more petticoats, then don't. Use common sense when it comes to the seasons. Two petticoats are not exactly necessary in the summer as compared to the winter. Where a fichu is used for reasons of if you don't want to tan or a sun burn. Or you just don't want a fichu at all. It was practical as well as fashionable. Fichus varied in design and fabric. Finer fabrics like a Belgian Cotton is fantastic since it's so fine and thin. But it's also expensive. Ditto with sick.

Apron... I only use an apron when I'm cooking or cleaning. That's it. No other reason. Main reason... I don't want my attire soiled. A good cotton Kona muslin is great since it's a tighter weave. Sometimes, two aprons are needed when cooking, etc. Again, generally, the apron is the same way we use aprons today ... it's so your clothes won't get dirty. You do NOT have to wear items ALL the freakin' time like some people say. After all... it's you, your attire, your look, etc. YOU pick how you want to dress with what peices you are given a choice from. Mix and match, used for a short time in a day or all day. You pick. Same with hats, you do NOT have to wear the hat all day long. And with stays, you can wear a banyon or a bedjacket in the morning before you dress. It really shows the reality of how daily life was. It's not get up at 5am every day, dress in only a particular dress, and then go about in the finery or the poorest rags... naw... mix and match. :) One day you can go without a fichu, another day you may want to wear it. Wear an apron in camp and take it off when you go shopping. Or whatever else.

I never wear my stays to be seen. I always cover it up. But then again, that's my persona. She's a Gentlewoman. Raised to be a proper woman of Society and stays are underwear not to be seen. It really is up to you on your persona, how they are raised, what they believe, if you are comfortable showing the stays or not, etc. You pick, you decide. ;) Stay flexible and open.

Awesome, Cross! Now I don't feel so off wearing a men's coat. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lady B. I'm happy to hear it's more of a "whatever makes you comfortable" type of thing...I've got really beautiful linen stays that Lady Brower made for me that I usually wear on top of everything, and I'm not bothered by the bulk underneath...but, I just made a silk petticoat that I think looks lovely on top of the stays...so I'm glad to hear that it's fine to wear it that way also. I do wear the fichu to protect myself from sunburn, but also so I feel a bit more "dressed", since I don't have a jacket, short gown or mantua...

Even though I think of my persona as a woman with a questionable background, I think she would attempt to look like a lady...;^)

5111936926_265750443d.jpg

...and thanks to Chole Black and her wonderful blog for the petticoat "recipe". I'm a terrible seamstress, but her simple directions made it a breeze!

Edited by Keelhauled Conny

4167524562_d125b7c73f.jpg

Thanks Lady B. I'm happy to hear it's more of a "whatever makes you comfortable" type of thing...I've got really beautiful linen stays that Lady Brower made for me that I usually wear on top of everything, and I'm not bothered by the bulk underneath...but, I just made a silk petticoat that I think looks lovely on top of the stays...so I'm glad to hear that it's fine to wear it that way also. I do wear the fichu to protect myself from sunburn, but also so I feel a bit more "dressed", since I don't have a jacket, short gown or mantua...

Even though I think of my persona as a woman with a questionable background, I think she would attempt to look like a lady...;^)

5111936926_265750443d.jpg

...and thanks to Chole Black and her wonderful blog for the petticoat "recipe". I'm a terrible seamstress, but her simple directions made it a breeze!

HUZZAH! that is quite the smashing outfit m'dear! i am always glad to see someone take the period route. Thats goonna look great with a mantua etc. especially with the silk!...let me stop ranting........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

I agree with Cross. Looks nice. :)

Don't be feelin' worried about bein' over or under dressed. Makin' an outfit is a progression. Adding and taking away from your appearance. :)

Ahh, the petticoat. It's one of the most simple pieces of period attire to make. :) The silk is very lovely.

Doing good! ::: thumbs up ::: :unsure:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 months later...

ON THE PRIOR SUBJECT OF STAYS:

I've actually taught myself corsetry. If memory serves correctly, when the more rigid, full-torso stays went into the "Boned Sportsbra" version the Jane Austen fans are familiar with, there were women who actually had to keep wearing their old stays because 1) their back muscles had conformed during early growth and 2) they relied on the extra support for heavy lifting chores. Think of the backbraces the folks at Home Depot wear-there you go.

If you want to be portraying a woman of some respectability in public, you must wear stays. Imagine not wearing your bra (for some, this is less noticeable than most, but still).Yes, they're hard to make at first. Yes, they're unusual and uncomfortable, especially if not fitted properly. *Proper fit is KEY* However, they can be made of reed or cording, a la the Elizabeth I Effigy Corset (See Drea Leed's research) and it can be quite a bit more forgiving that steel or heavy duty plastic.

SOMEWHAT SHAMELESS PLUG: (please let me know if I should post somewhere else) If someone could get me a quick hold on Mantua Maker's copyright/vendor information (anybody see anywhere on the pattern how many you can make/if you can make for money?) I would be more than happy to custom fit as closely as possible a set of stays. Corsetry is a dying artform in some reenactor circles, and I would be more than happy to promote it.

If you're gonna swing, swing for the fences...if you're going after Jaws, bring along the tartar sauce.