Sword Replica?

KrissXed

Hey everyone. I'm Kriss.. new to the site, was refered by my friend Siren.. anyway.

I have been searching ebay and any other sites I can possibly think of.. and I have been finding Sparrow and Barbossa sword replicas left and right, but I've yet to find a replica of Commodore Norrington's sword from Pirates of the Caribbean. And for being the only sword that is constantly mentioned and seems to have its own plotline, this makes me rather sad.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might know where I could find one, if at all.

Much thanks to any who can offer a little help! :lol:

-Kriss-

Kriss, welcome to the site. Norrington's sword is styled after a variety called a "smallsword" and was quite common in the time of pyrates. While the Mouse has not seen fit to offer an exact replica, many smallswords are available on the net. Google up "smallsword" and you will find a plethora of them. Get a good picture of Norrington's and find the closest match.

Another angle: one of our own, Billy Bones, was a weapons master on the movies. He may know the origin of the Norrington sword and can put you in contact with the maker. PM him.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

KrissX... I have a 1730 Scottish smallsword with a triangular blade. Norringtons has a flat btade I believe, but if you don't find a suitable sword elsewhere, mine is available. It is the "real deal" too, made by cold steel. If youwanted or needed to fence this one is fully funtional. I have about $250 init, but will let it go with the carrier I made for $ 175. Let me know if you're intrested.

smallsword.jpg

Bo

Thank you very much, Jim, Bo, and Kenneth. I think I shall send a PM to Billy Bones.. that is a great idea.

Capt. Bo, Thank you very much for the offer, but I'm afraid I've no interest in actually using the sword. I am a die hard Norrington fan and my only interest in the sword is as a collectors piece. I thank you very much, however, for the offer.

Kenneth, I shall check out that site, thank you.

Woot! I'm a few steps closer! Thank you gentlemen!

Just a silly question....

But Norington's sword was a real sword..... (I thought the line about the tang was a little funny)

So why would you want a chunka pot metal, when a real one would be soooo much more fun......

I ain't picking on you.....

I'm just courious why someone would want to spend money on something that isn't real?

Just to carry around ?

A Pot metal Norington Sword, just isn't going to be as much fun as a "real" copy of a sword......

It's not that your going to use it to "stick " people with .......

Sorry... it just boggles me mind.....(the rum tonight helps also......)

Like I typed.... I'm not picking on you......

Just to carry around ?

Ah, you're showing your reenactor colours, Hand. P'raps they plan merely to hang it on a wall and never carry it at all. [grins] Of course, I'd suggest hanging the Real Thing myself, but there you have it.

Collector of movie replicas rather than player with the toys, or collector as an investment. But Hands' suggestion still holds. Why not go the extra and get a "replica" that is the "real thing" instead?

You should check out the site....if I'm not mistaken, Tony made Norrington's sword, so if you want one exactly like it, he's the man. You can have it made in "Actor aluminum" or steel. It's not going to be cheap, so you better have a big bank account! I still can't understand why you would want it for just a wall hanger? Something like that, you almost have to show it off.....I think it might even be against the law not to! :huh:

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Hey, no worries.

To be perfectly honest, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm not lookin' to carry it around, hah, I'm only sixteen!

I never really wanted just the replica, although I'm not surely I understand the difference.

Are you tellin' me I can get an ACTUAL sword that look's just like Jame's, colouring and all?

:lol: As I said. I'm so new to all of this. I'm glad ya'll are so welcoming though, thanks :lol:

Of course you can get a sword replica that is a real sowrd. You can also get one that is made out of crap metal basically that resembles a sword but is good for little more than hanging on a wall.

The cost of the fake sword will be signifigantly less, but in looking for a particular sword might be harder to come by. usually you can find this kind of sword in shops, malls, and flea markets all over the world for amazingly cheap prices but on most occasions they are usually garishily fanstasy swords and daggers.

If you want something of better quality make sure it is not from India or china, both of these are the poorest quality as far as swords and will quickly lose shine and often rust within a few years of ownership.

If you are dying to have a real showpiece or become a collector of swords I would suggest saving the money and purchasing a replica sword that is in fact a replica instead of just a something for show. this will be more expensive but will for one retain more value if you ever decide you don't want it anymore so you can sell it as long as it is taken care of, and will look far more beautiful than a cheap knockoff.

It is in essence like deciding you want to collect pretty china, and having a cabinet to display it it, so you go any buy the prettiest corelle wear from walmat. Now at quick glance it might pass as being pretty china but it holds little value and is just a plastic facsimile of what you were after.

Price of course is always an issue. getting the real sword you want might cost into the thousand dollars or more mark, so it might just not be a viable option for you. this is fine too, but it is a decsion to make I suppose between wether you want something that true, or something for looks alone. Neither would be a wrong decisoon and budget of course like in all things will play a major factor as well i am sure.

To be perfectly honest, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm not lookin' to carry it around, hah, I'm only sixteen!

16? You have plenty of time to worry about correct swords later on in life... buy the thing that you can afford, and that will make you happy. Make some mistakes for yourself so you can learn from them later on.

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hey, no worries.

To be perfectly honest, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm not lookin' to carry it around, hah, I'm only sixteen! .....

..... B) As I said. I'm so new to all of this. I'm glad ya'll are so welcoming though, thanks B)

Anyone "only 16" that uses capitalization and punctuation in online posts will definitely be welcome. OK, so its a pet peve of mine.

As for swords, some of the not-real replicas, especially the licensed movie replicas, can cost as much as the real thing, so shop around.

And welcome aboard, lad.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Anyone "only 16" that uses capitalization and punctuation in online posts will definitely be welcome. OK, so its a pet peve of mine.

B)

I shall grant you that. I'm a hound for puncuation and capitalization. Granted.. I can't spell for grog though. *shrug*

And I'm sorry to break it to ya Jim, but I'm no lad. I's a Lass :lol:

Anyway, back to busines...

I'm not about to be spending anywhere near a grand on a sword. I'm not THAT into them yet. A few hundred dollars.. maybe. But I'd like my first one to be relatively cheap and easy to handle, something I can goof around with. I don't need sharp edges or anything of the sort. Don't want to go choppin' anything off, yes?

I've a friend who is into Katanas.. and he has agreed to work with me as far as handling, so I'm set there.

I may go into collecting eventually, but for now it's going to remain a small hobby and interest. But if I can find a good Norrington replica for around $200, I'll be all over it.

I PMed Billy Bones, and he's yet to get back to me. *shrug*

I live in California, and there is a shop near my mother's work called Pirate's Plunder. The owner there informed me that he supplied many of the weapons for the pirate movies. So I think when I get back to Cali (I'm in Texas on vacation at the moment) I'll drive down and check out the store, see if maybe he can help me out.

I'm just testing the waters as of now, but I truely am interested in this.

I also went on Ebay last night to look for smallswords.. but none of them came close. So I started browsing broadsword replicas from LOTR (because my mom wanted to see them...) and I found what seemed to be a great sword for under $20... seemed like a great deal...

Anyone know if this is krap?

I was really really tempted...

Yes... it would be (1) not really very piratey but also (2) an investment only to hang on a wall.

Try american Fencing supplies. Make your OWN sword up and it will be functional and priced right.

They have SEVERAL Small sword options.

I have many swords from there and have been fighting with them for years!

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Granted.. I can't spell for grog though. *shrug*

And I'm sorry to break it to ya Jim, but I'm no lad. I's a Lass B)

I PMed Billy Bones, and he's yet to get back to me. *shrug*

I can't spell fer sh...um...shoe buckles either. TGFSC (Thank God For SpellCheck)

So, you're a lass. C'est la vie, say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell. And on the 'net, keeping that to yourself is probably a good thing.

Billy is often on location and sometimes doesn't check in for stretches at a time, so don't take offense.

And the e-bay sword is, as Iron Bess said, a wall-hanger, best viewed from over ten feet away. Keep looking, $200 will buy you a very serviceable smallsword.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Thank you, that site sounds great. I'm off to bed now, so I shall check into it tomorrow...

I can't spell fer sh...um...shoe buckles either. TGFSC (Thank God For SpellCheck)

:blink:

I never take offence... I know he's got to be a busy man, and I've tracked the message and know he hasn't even gotten to it yet. All's well in the neighborhood.

And while it may be a wall hanger.. I would still have fun with it. Haha.

Thank you, that site sounds great. I'm off to bed now, so I shall check into it tomorrow...

The small/Court Swords have many options. You can create something you really like that will be functional and battle ready AND will last you for years at a very good price.

You have hilt, pommel, grip (even the wood for your grip) and blade options so take your time and try things out on paper before you commit.

Click on *Armoury* to begin. Also you might try under favorites, the classic small sword and see about fitting it with a wider blade. Look at all your options.

Keep us in the loop if you buy there :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Sounds fun!

I'll have to keep you in the loop as I will be asking for continuous help. Haha. I still know very little about swords, but am very ready to learn. So I may try out different combinations and see what yall think. Ooo.. This is going to be a lot of fun!

THANKS BESS!

• 1 year later...

KrissX... I have a 1730 Scottish smallsword with a triangular blade. Norringtons has a flat btade I believe, but if you don't find a suitable sword elsewhere, mine is available. It is the "real deal" too, made by cold steel. If youwanted or needed to fence this one is fully funtional. I have about $250 init, but will let it go with the carrier I made for $ 175. Let me know if you're intrested.

smallsword.jpg

Bo

Hey, I too was searching for a replica of Commodore Norrington's smallsword when I came upon these forums. Upon further investigation, it would seem 'Capt. Bo's sword is the closest thing to it. would you still happen to have it on hand by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...

First off, let me make a shameless plug for one of my dear friends, mentor, and swordmaking tutor...

Kyle Willyard made several of the swords seen in POTC 1 and also the boarding axes. His website is: www.olddominionforge.com

Kyle usually has a long wait for his swords and they ARE around a grand...

So... Shameless plug for me...

If you're in the market for something of quality that is fully usable, let me know. I have made a good number of 18th century style swords and all of mine are fully functional. They start at $200 and go up depending on the amount of work involved. A word of warning though... I don't copy movie swords... Reasons being that 1: I don't want to run afoul of the copyright police, and 2: I like doing my own artwork... :) What I can guarantee is that my swords are one-of-a-kind and will serve you well.

Just something to keep in mind... :blink:

Oh, and I think a 16-year-old with such good capitalization and punctuation ROCKS!!! I hate it when customers e-mail me and ask "howmuch 4 shipping 2 me. U make gr8 stuff." !!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org