Minimum Garb Standards

Patrick Hand

Before I get any Hollywood Pyrates in a "huff"...

I want to explain this thread.

This thread is about what are the minimum acceptable garb standards to participate at an Authentic event.

It has nothing to do with what someone wears to a Renaissance Faire, nor is it telling anyone how he or she has to play Pyrate.

It is a discussion about Authentic events only.

Last year at PiP we talked about this... (NOTE: this only applies to what is now the 1729 Careening Camp)

We want to have a period camp, but don't want to scare people away. It takes time to put together authentic garb.

So far, we haven't set a minimum standard, figuring that leading "by example" is the best way for us.

Were not going to worry about cotton garb, or bucket boots (well..... bucket boots are discouraged, but if that is all you have, we can deal with it.) We want to remain flexible and encourage authenticity, so more people can play/participate, without getting to "rabid" about it.

What are other "Authentic's" views on garb at Authentic events ?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are doing a good job with this-- balancing a desire for accuracy with common sense and fair play.

I also agree with the idea of fighting those battles that really make a difference and not fighting those that are, at this point, hopeless or counter-productive (thinking of cotton clothes, particularly).

I would suggest the following: List clear guidelines and suggestions. Point out what is flexible (use of cotton garments, bucket boots) and what is not (vinyl boots, pleather hats, wildly out of period weapons, etc.).

Make a list of absolutely banned items, but offer suggestions for reasonable alternatives.

Then, if possible, offer as many clear, correct period illustrations to give people an idea of what look you are shooting for. This is an area where many authentic events fall down on the job. They tell you what is permitted and what is forbidden, but any newcomer will be stumped as to what it should all look like.

Sorry I cannot make it to PiP this year, but my wife and I will be in St. Augustine, entertaining the troops that weekend.

Best of luck.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I like Red Sea Trade's idea. I too cannot attend PiP this year but perhaps next and I too wish for PC items to wear. So examples and such would be well met, that way we can all enjoy being PC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Thanks for starting this thread... thread.

I am in the process of gathering an accurate kit, in the face of years of "Ren-Wrong."

I would like to not have to "buy and re-buy" as I have done in the past as I gained knowledge. I don't want to hemorage cash, but worse than that would be to waste money on crap.

Shell I go with Kass and know that I am getting the right things... can I get away with some of the basics (shirt, slops) from Townsend?

I have to buy soon, since my merchanting season is about to begin.

What to do... what to do?

I guess I'll check back here. :lol:

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Ok Cutter... Here's the scoop.

I know it's a drag for us fellas to do sewing if we have never done it before. But it is so easy when it comes down to it.

OK a shirt, I've never tried and maybe a checkered from townsend might not be bad. But to make a pair of slops might take an hour or two tops.

I wore mine all last weekend and wish I had another pair (for drying reasons cuz of the rain)

Kass has very easy patterns. and fabric can be found almost anywhere.

a pair or three of stockings, (again for drying reasons) ($8-12 ea)

a good belt or some linen or homespun for a sash ($5-20)

A hat or cap and your set. (10-??? for a nice hat)

Now a pair of shoes really kind of pulls it together. But barefoot is great if the terrain will cooperate.

I also know folks have been talking about rope sandals and if yer shoes start hurting or you just need to run to the plastic privvey, a pair of sandals are perfect!!!

I will also say, though I have three long coats now....I love my new short jacket!!! thrown together with my working gear, it makes the look complete. (Thanks again again for the new issue capt!)

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I am currently going through the "standards" drill with the Star Wars costumers. Since costumes are required for membership, standards are very important.

One thing I appreciate about these standards is that we list Required items (minimum standards) and then give a list of Optional items that are not required but help give the costume a more screen-accurate look.

Trying to stay accurate without bankrupting people is the main goal. And listing alternatives/substitutes is also very helpful.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Very helpful suggestions indeed. Patrick Hand... you are a brave soul to dare such a topic as this. Well done sir, well done indeed! Newbies harken... Period artwork. Photos are good but take the time and search the art. It is both rewarding and educational. Besides, they were there!

Bo

Great pics! Though the rapier's got to go for GAOP, and I doubt that our shipmates of old would have disembarked wearing shoes and socks.

It was good that this thread started with a mention of the 1729 Careening Camp. Folks often speak of "period", without saying WHAT period.

I'd go with:

1-2 pair of shoes

rope sandals

3 pair of socks

trousers and / or slops

heavy belt

2 shirts

short jacket

hat

neckerchief (optional)

whatever weaponry you feel comfortable toting around all day

1 "using" sheath or folding knife

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I also understand the need for a good "fake" [cottons instead of some linens, etc] for some gear. I also recommend setting a simple list of bare minimums - inclusions rather than exclusions, with some suggestions for optional additions or replacements, and a couple of period images ["this is what we are aiming for"] if possible, for inspiration. This can accomplish two things additionally: it can help remind people to dress as crew [can't have all captains]; and it can help people remember that when wearing "fakes," you need to be able to explain to the public what is NOT accurate about your costume, when curiosity is roused [materials chosen, "pattern is off by four years from 1729," etc].

Oh, and agreed, the images are great!

Ahh nice thread. I have recently gotten involved with a group of singers that will hopefully be doing both Ren Fairs and more historical events which brings me to a need to get a more historically accurate kit(Already have a decent Ren Fair set hehe) and so need to find what the bare bones I can get is. Great stuff.

I have never been to the Hampton Blackbeard Festival. I wanted to go a few years ago, but wasn't sure if my garb would have been acceptable. At the time, it was mostly cotton.

Since then, I have meet enough Pyrates what would have vouched that my garb was good enough.

It takes time to get your garb as authentic as possible; I think most reenactors know that.

Last year at PiP, I set a goal for myself to have all my garb as accurate as possible for this year, now it is all linen, hemp and wool, and I'm really close to that goal.

Starting with cotton, I got to "Play". ......If I had to make everything from period fabric, I might not have.

Maybe we Should set a minimum standard for the Careening Camp at PiP, not to turn anyone away, but to encourage them to attend.

<NOTE this is just an example. It is NOT the Careening Camps standard >

we haven't decided on that yet....

A white or small stripped or checkerd shirt

Cotton is acceptable, but avoid lace-up shirts and solid color (especially Black)

Slops, Trousers or Knee-Breaches

Cotton canvas is acceptable, They should have a French Fly, narrow Falls (Revolutionary War) should be avoided.

Period Buckle or lace-up shoes are strongly encouraged

Sandals or bucket boots will pass, but only because the ground is coral (Safety First)

Head coverings, Waistcoats, Jackets and accessories should be as period as possible.

If you have any questions, or for availability of loaner garb post in the Careening Camp thread.

So if someone wanted to participate in the Careening Camp at PiP, they would know if their garb was good enough, or what they would have to change.

I personally think that many people will be surprised that their garb is very close to such a minimum standard. "Hey I just need a better shirt, and I can play also...."

Of course it doesn't just end at the minimum standard. Once someone finds that "going Authentic" really is fun, they will want to improve their garb.

It takes time to put together good authentic garb, But with encouragement and helpful advice (not criticism) our hobby and the number of authentic Pyrates will grow.

I think we also might need a few pictures showing minimum garb.... and then what a few additions to the garb can do.....

pictures would be great.

When you say small stripes what do you mean exactly? half inch? quarter inch? 16th of inch? and does that for for pants as well as shirts?

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for stripes, as the evidence I have seen is varied (which isn't vast, as I'm still pretty much a beginner as well).

I think if you stuck in the quarter to half inch range you would be good, although wider and possibly narrower would work as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

<<Period Buckle or lace-up shoes are strongly encouraged

Sandals or bucket boots will pass, but only because the ground is coral (Safety First)>>

As a note [yes, this is not the "real list"], might also want to mention when someone can do without [at many events, say, "barefoot" is perfectly acceptable, and quite affordable].

<<If you have any questions, or for availability of loaner garb post in the Careening Camp thread.>>

The "loaner" notation is quite encouraging, and will give chance to discuss with those unsure, what they do already own, whether or not they realize it.

<<It takes time to put together good authentic garb, But with encouragement and helpful advice (not criticism) our hobby and the number of authentic Pyrates will grow.>>

Agreed. This is true of all reenacting, so pirates would be no exception.

<<think we also might need a few pictures showing minimum garb.... and then what a few additions to the garb can do..... >>

Excellent idea. Even a "shirt and britches and barefoot" shot, for the bare, bare minimum; to compare with a very few [but visually interesting] period "accessories" or "enhancements" to that minimum. Retain the intent to show how it can be within a reasonable budget of money, time, and effort. Remember not to scale up the "additions" shots too high [not "compare this minimum to this shot of someone who has spent 485 work days, and $512481 dollars" but "compare this minimum to this shot of someone who has added these couple of extras that they made over a couple of weekends"]. After all, the guide seems to be aimed principally at those being introduced to the historical pirate reenactment; just a reminder [probably un-necessary] not to lose sight of your audience.

pictures would be great.

When you say small stripes what do you mean exactly? half inch? quarter inch? 16th of inch? and does that for for pants as well as shirts?

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for stripes, as the evidence I have seen is varied (which isn't vast, as I'm still pretty much a beginner as well).

I think if you stuck in the quarter to half inch range you would be good, although wider and possibly narrower would work as well.

Well the cloth that I have has one inch stripes on it. I know the cloth itself isn't period. It will work for Ren work though easily.

Ah gents yer examples be all fyne and grand.....fer teh lasses of the pub would htis suffice? for said bare bones basic outfit

chemise

petticoat

mantua

stays

stocking

shoes

cap , neckerchief, and apron

ye ship's potter,

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I wouldn't know where to start on that one....

Let's see if Cheeky or Chole might want to chime in?

I say this because it seems the ladies have much more responsibility where clothing is concerned.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

:huh: I can't speak to the particulars of ladies' garb, but one thing I would say is this: Wear a hat.

"But I'm a wench"

Be a wench in a hat.

"But I'm a pirate wench"

Wear a hat.

"But I'm a wild, untamed, hellcat, crazy, savage pirate wench."

Great. Be one in a hat.

Hollywood has given us decades of 17th and 18th century ladies running about with flowing, untamed hair and uncovered heads. They had a name for people like that in the tropical sun. They called them "dead".

Wear a hat.

That goes for men, too.

--Andrew Batten, who does everything but shower in his hat.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants