Minimum Garb Standards

Patrick Hand

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

old thread but you guys need to make this easier to find for the pirate noobs like me. great stuff in this thread!

You have but to ask. We'll dig up a dozen old threads.

This thread alone is filled with links and suggestions... https://pyracy.com/in...tarted-for-pip/

And Mister Ohlandt's work deserves another nudge...

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

i wish more people had walking sticks/ cudgels......in ssoooo many illustrations sailors ashore are shown(and described in journals) as always having their sticks handy to harass women...dogs...and each other with.....heck........to carry their bags from even...........but very few people have them

I've been meaning to get my hands on a gentleman's cane for 'Shore Leave' and I found a place that sells canes with fancy metal heads.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

how the heck had i missed this? the stick the sailor is carrying may be used to beat ropes into round when they are made. lets look at history for a second.

one of the issues of the boston massacre was that british sailors and militia were coming ashore and moonlighting at loyalist factories, specifically at the many rope walks in boston. how better to ensure no rebels were working for you than to employ soldiers and sailors. tensions rose after an incident at a rope walk. either a soldier heckled a rebel worker or viceverse- i don't remember which off hand.tensions rose and the rest is history.

so the sticks used at ropewalks- when the ropes are made occasionally an extra warp ends up in the lines and makes an uneven bump. to fix these while they are still on the rope walk you can beat the imperfection flat into the rope. with around 30 rope walks active in boston at the time, these sticks would have been everywhere. note- i'm calling it ROPE,its still at the factory. now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

• 1 year later...

Patrick -

Aye, but for the sailorman you might want to look at their Monmouth cap line.

You could also see my favorite for Monmouth caps, KnitKriket Historic Knits.

Kristen has already made several my lady and I. ;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney