The "Green Flash"

Matusalem

Long before "POTC-At Worlds End" ever made a big deal of the so-called green flash, I have heard stories in and around SW Florida about this phenomenon. Even the staff at restaurants that have a full panoramic view of the Gulf of Mexico that make their money on the "sunset crowd" (such as Gulf View grille in Englewood Beach) have always talked about it. But then again some inns inhistoric districts always have ghost stories.

I have seen many a sunset in SW Forida, the Keys, to and the Carribbean, desparately awaiting the green flash and have yet witness such a phenomenon. ...still. But then again, I have never seen the Aurora Borealis either.

Anyone ever seen it? ....anyone?

SHIP2-1.jpg

I've seen it once. It takes very particular atmospheric and horizon conditions to witness. Theres even a green flash at sunrise but thats even harder to see.

The light from the sun is refracted (bent) when it enters the atmosphere (its the change in mediums that does, vacuum to atmosphere) . The different wave lengths are bent different amounts, reds the most blues the least. As the sun sets on a flat horizon it is the red light (red image of the sun if you want to think of it that way) that vanishes first leaving a brief brilliant spike of the green and if you're very luck blue images of the sun. We don't usually see the blue or violet because that light is subjected to rayleigh scattering all over (which is what makes the sky blue) But if this atmospheric rayleigh scattering is at a minimum you may see a blue flash as well. A reverse of the process happens on sunrise. Its more difficult to see since you need to know exactly where the sun will rise and be prepared to look for it.

I have seen it many times, having grown up on the west coast of Florida, mostly from the beach but also from a boat. I have also seen it in Key West.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

i saw the green-flash while watching the sunset off the greek island of santorini....hell of a thing i tell a...hell of a thing

yeah...i also saw the auro borealis several times( alot really) back in the corn fields of illinois....

helps (for both) if'n yer a long ways from any city lights interferrin with the view.....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Tony also caught the blue flash that day. I remembered the blue coming before the green, but I probably remembered it wrongly.

You can see copies of both of Tony's photos in my 2007 Pip Surgeon's Tale near the bottom of this page. The blue flash is harder to see, but it is there.

However, the photo that Fayma is directing you to is the original and so is much larger and nicer.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Seen the green flash a number of times from boats, both on the east and west coast. Never seen it at sunrise, though. Seen the auroras a number of times up here in Alaska, though my wife keeps bragging that the ones up in Fairbanks were better. However, I'm quite satisfied with most of the ones I've seen, especially underway with no town lights to interfere.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I surfed Southern California as a kid an can't say that I ever saw a green flash on the West Coast - except maybe once.

It was a very weird day, I was surfing the San Onofre nuclear power plant. As I dropped in on a wave, I noticed something big bolt towards me from underneath. Scared - I quickly jumped up on my board. As I looked back I could see the sun through the wave, it was like glass and a wonderful coke bottle green. What I thought was a shark - was actually a dolphin, now riding the wave with me.

Anyway after paddling back to shore, I watched the pod of dolphin as the sun was going down. For just a moment I thought I saw a green flash. I looked around and the few people on the beach, the friends I was with didn't seem to notice. I was pretty ignorant that such things happened at the time and wrote it off as something I imagined.

But I can say that I have seen them on the East Coast, specifically during PiP in Key West. Last year I saw several when I was out in the water on the Wolf.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be feelin' bad, Matusalem. I've only seen the Northern Lights once in my life - spectacular as it was - and that was a couple years ago. Again, I've only seen them once in my life. I can see how they could be something magical.

Perhaps someday, Matusalem, ye'll see that green flash. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have spent the most part of my life at work on the water either at sea, getting ready to go to sea or some work related. In 1979 I delivered a 56' sailboat to Hawaii from Panama. From the Perlas Is. in the Bay of Panama to the Marquesas, French Polynesia we were 28 days. The majority of which we were due west. Every night the sun would set off our bowsprit. Although we'd look every night, once! once in 28 days with a perfectly clear sky to the horizon did we see the Green Flash. As the upper limb of the sun slipped below the horizon there was a brief appearance of similar size as the sun in green. I've not seen it since. I've sailed the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea and although conditions are what I thought would be permissive, I've yet to see it again.

I've had shipmates that have pissed more salt water than most folks have sailed over yet they've never seen the Green Flash. And those guys could spin a yarn that would spin your head! It's just that some things are sacred. You don't put a hatch cover on deck upside down. You don't say the words pig, pork or egg/s. You sure in hell don't whistle up a wind. Aye, the Green Flash. I've seen it once and glad I did. 28 days offshore gets old after a while but after the trips are done, you're ready to go again! Capn'Rob

• 2 months later...

Haven't seen the green flash yet, but I have seen the Northern Lights quite a few times. In fact, the first time I went sailing on my first boat was on the Oahe Reservoir near Pierre South Dakota. I had a minor issue with water coming in through the swing keel locking bolt hole and after I got it fixed I noticed a lot of light on the horizon. I initially thought it was from Pierre but was surprised at how bright it was. When I killed the spreader light I was amazed to see the Northern Lights shooting skyward from the northern horizon. Wow, what a show. Spouse and I spent an hour just gazing at them in wonder. What a way to start sailing. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to my first green flash. :D I'll have to break out a bottle of rum and drink a toast to old Neptune and all them scruvy old seadogs who went before me.

Edited by Joe Pyrat

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.