Elizabethan Sea Dogs!

kass

Are you a Pirate but you're not from the Golden Age of Piracy?

Do you long for clothing from an earlier time period?

Know that frock coats and cocked hats aren't period for the SCA?

Are you portraying one of Drake's Privateers at your Faire?

Well do I have a goodie for you...

Introducing Reconstructing History's latest:

RH210 -- Elizabethan Sea Dogs

SeaDogscover.gif

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Thank you for the support, guys!

It is my hope that if there is a pattern for Elizabethan pirates, more people will choose to dress as them as Renaissance festivals. It really is ridiculous for Drake's entourage to go around wearing frock coats and cocked hats.

And I'm with you, Pat -- if they don't recognise these things as "sailor's kit" now, let's change that! :lol:

Now go tell your friends! :lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Yes, thank you, Kass, for attempting to right a gross historical wrong. It has always confused me that people who probably know better (or should) attend 16th century events wearing 18th century clothing.

It is as appropriate as wearing an Apollo space suit to a War of 1812 reenactment. "Hey, I'm only off by a couple of centuries!"

Now all I have to do is save up enough for an Elizabethan matchlock, then I can get started on the garb...

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

It is as appropriate as wearing an Apollo space suit to a War of 1812 reenactment. "Hey, I'm only off by a couple of centuries!"

:lol:

Very true, it seems most Renaissance Festivals (as much as I still love them) have thrown history by the wayside or at least encompass a very broad time period: Robin Hood & Barbarians meet Musketeers & Golden Age Pirates!

Heck, all I ask for is consistency! After going to a 16th century event in a frock coat, 1770 French infantry sword and tricorn hat, one should then attend a World War 2 reenactment in the same attire. You would only miss the date by the same margin! :lol:

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Brava! Bravissima!! Wonderful, Kass! :lol:

A lot of Ren Fests have taken to calling themselves "historical fantasy"-based. I mainly go to misbehave. :lol:

I did want to beat that one "Star Trek" guy to death with his own tricorder. He was wearing a red shirt, after all...

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Yer doing a great service, Kass! B)

I have a hard enough time trying to get my Battle of New Orleans Baratarian cannon crew to dress for 1815, rather than for their conception of 1715 (which generally turns out to be 1775 anyway; when it isn't Johnny Depp! :lol: )

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

well since i only go to renaisasance fairs for fun i dont care if i im out of place- its no different than people wearing 21st century clothing at the ren fair right? and its the one place i can wear pirate costumes without being totally wierd (only a little). well at disneyland too

;)

Very true, it seems most Renaissance Festivals (as much as I still love them) have thrown history by the wayside or at least encompass a very broad time period: Robin Hood & Barbarians meet Musketeers & Golden Age Pirates!

Gee you haven't seen the Wilds or the Vikings we have at some of our events.... :lol:

well since i only go to renaisasance fairs for fun i dont care if i im out of place- its no different than people wearing 21st century clothing at the ren fair right?

Kinda sorta..... If your paying to get in (a Playtron) then you can wear whatever you want..... just ask any of the Trekies at Faire......

But Faire is much more fun if you are sorta close to period.....

Or just go as a Pyrate on " Invasion Weekend....." With the new popularity of Pyrates, the people running Faires kinda expanded the time period/thiem to have one weekend that Pyrates are welcome (well at least the Casa De Fruta / Northern California Faire does.....)

speaking for myself and my friends who go for fun,as paying customers, we dont go to get a history lesson,or to be judged in a fashion show,we just go to have fun and see everyones costumes,watch jousting,etc,buy swords,axes,etc, and just not care what anyone thinks.its kindof annoying to know that when im there people are looking down their nose at me for not being just like them.

does anyone else here go just for fun and not work there?

Yes..,Black Bonie.., as a matter of fact I Feel your pain all the time.

For an example I have not posted in "Your Garb" or the other threads basically because I have seen a few not too good get ups get some praise., and others that were good tho not ACCURAtE get critisized pretty harshly...., I dont need anyones approval to do what i am doing.

So ., I figure., I will do as I please .,and to hell with anyone who doesnt like it.,Personally I try to avoid such topics., My respect levels go out the window and I get more pissed off than anything. I see what many have and could have bought such things had i wanted them...,I have a sort of mixed bag and i like it .

It really isnt anyones place to judge you is it ? But then again its the Internet and people feel the need to help you even tho you dont want it.

I have found if you dont want the BS limit yourself to what you show.

I do not get into threads about my coats footware., shirts., pants or any other things., I just dont want to hear it to be honest with you and i have been here 4 years.

I do not mean to sound harsh or deter you from the Pub ., but apparently you see it already yea? Anyway., I feel your pain.

Part of my do it my way.., is made up of things I got from the people on the pub that inform others..., actually the "Pub" members are historically doing their best.

picture this..., (I know some are cringing)

I could go to a faire one way.,then change a bit and cruise a tall ship., then grab cargo shorts modern leather sandels.,a dufflebag and "Poet shirt" and a tricorn and be on a plane to japan.,and be walking around that way., My tricorn goes EVERYWHERE with me., all the way around the world! You see I am not really a re-enactor.,I actually believe i am a pirate.., imagine that !!! I feel because a garmet is a few hundred years out of style is no reason to dump it .,think of it this way., "Be your own event " ., Then take it with ya! And bring everyone ya can! "Hey they do remember me"

Be cool Black Bonie take "The Pub" in stride its good place ., there is room in the world for re-enactors., fairgoers ., and yes even SCUBA divers. :lol:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

[MODERATOR MODE ON]

I've got my eye on this thread people. Don't cross the line, or there'll be Hell to pay and no pitch hot.

Fwiw, I would've split select portions of this out and sent it to Rabble Rousing, however, I believe Kass opened the door and invited in dissenting opinions by posting the following.

It is my hope that if there is a pattern for Elizabethan pirates, more people will choose to dress as them as Renaissance festivals.  It really is ridiculous for Drake's entourage to go around wearing frock coats and cocked hats.

You, the pirate populace at large may not agree with her, or with me, or with whatever, however, I find the topic to be an interesting one, worthy of discussion, so please, feel free to express your opinion, but as moderator I ask that you have a care your tone and your content.

(Hmmmm.... maybe I should bring this as an example to my diversity training class today.)

[MODERATOR MODE OFF]

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

OK.... For the Casa de Fruta/Northern California Renn Faire, Durring Invasion Weekend, I wear my Pyrate garb.... It's Pyrate Invasion after all....

One year for the Queen Bess Fair, I went a little earlier and wore my Buccaneer garb... (I Photoshoped the background....)

BuccaneerPatt.jpg

Of course no one knew what it was.....

At the Bakersfield Renn. Faire, I wore Elizabethan Sailor Garb....

Bakersfield.jpg

About three people knew what it was...... But I got a lot of comments about having a bad hair day......

I've worn the Sea Dog outfit to another Renn. Faire, ... There is a group that portrays Sea Dogs, so they knew what it was....

So now that Kass sells a pettern, maybe more people will go as Elizabethan Sea Dogs, or at least know what they looked like.......

We've got a similar thing going on right now in PoTC - to be absolutely historical or whatever one wants...

I appreciate those who wish to stay with the historical approach, I myself have accurate outfits, but I also like to be hysterical. That is of course, there weren't battery operated scooters around back then so it sort of makes what I'm wearing rather irrevelent so that's why I went to the comic relief bit with Dead Fred attached to the front of the scooter. I get lots of laughs and pictures, and for me that makes my day!

[MODERATOR MODE ON]

I've got my eye on this thread people. Don't cross the line, or there'll be Hell to pay and no pitch hot.

where was the line crossed? i just want to know so that i dont accidently cross it.imnot being sarcastic here either, im serious

Getting back on track here (I removed my pic):

Regarding the pattern and final actual outfit, I'm afraid the majority of the general public wouldn't have a clue about who or what your garb is suppose to be other than another Elizabethan person in fancy duds with only a few in the participant group who would know what the outfit was.

But then none of us who have attended the Ojai Pirate faire can figure out why Queen Elizabeth is there if we are suppose to be presenting the age of piracy in much later years when she wouldn't have even been alive! :P

I'm afraid the majority of the general public wouldn't have a clue about who or what your garb is suppose to be other than another Elizabethan person in fancy duds

But that is my arguement.......The Public dosen't know anything about the time period....... But.... if more people participate in that obscure part of history (Elizabethan Sea Dogs)... maybe more of the public would learn something through ossmossis (it's spelled something like that.....) :rolleyes:

Sure... not everyone that goes to Faire, wants to "educate" the public...And not everyone that goes to Faire wants to be "educated" ....

Awh heck.... untill Johnny Depp does a movie about Elizabethan Sea Dogs..... no one will even care.......