Preparing for Halloween

Matusalem

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaack.... I've got everything planned out..... but now I have to start working on it.....

Gotta get the pvc for fence, and the insulation foam for the tombstones.... I have someone looking for a wedding-sih gown for the hanging body....

Dang...... so much to do.........

Love your gargoyles, Lily! (Personally, I'd leave them up all year long. :( )

More than a decade ago, I moved into this Victorian house, and the previous owners were known for extensive decoration at Hallowe'en. Neighbours encouraged us to keep up the tradition (although our efforts are not nearly quite as elaborate.)

We've gradually evolved from a general "haunted" look to a Pirate theme. Here are pics from 2 years ago:

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...pic=9720&st=169

Last year, we had to be out of town for a family event during the week of Hallowe'en. I was very thankful to return home and find all of my windows intact, and not broken by disappointed Trick-or-Treaters who found the house dark and deserted. I shall be heavy-handed with the candy this year in appreciation for their restraint. [Of course, the annual driveway concert & street party hosted by the semi-professional Elvis impersonator on the next block probably kept any would-be vandals too entertained to notice our lapse.]

This year, I'm unfortunately rather pre-occupied with some major family issues, and I don't really have the energy or enthusiasm to concentrate on decorating for Hallowe'en. Happily, I've saved all the decorations from previous years, and my cheap tissue paper and bristol board window displays can easily be put up in a single day.

And I've got a new pair of black & white striped stocking for my pirate costume. Woo-hoo! Bring on the hot-buttered rum!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

We're finally in full swing Halloween mode. Our first project was to remake our pillars and arch and install all the fencing. I didnt like the gargoyles so I repainted them to show the detail. On to the next project.

2007011.jpg

2007001.jpg

2007005.jpg

AWESOME!

Makes me wish I lived in a house where decorating would be worth it. Our place is sorta in the boon docks, and no one can see it, so I only decorate inside, just for me and the husband. I'll maybe do a little somthing out on the front deck, but nothing that great.

Our place is for sale, so maybe my next house will be where I can go wild with the decoration and scrare the cra...,er...entertain the local kids. :(

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Thanks Hester & Ransom.

I wouldn't mind leaving them up all year but since everything is made out of foam, I don't know how well they would survive the winters here. :blink:

Well, my hubby took the day off of work so we can start building the new addition to our crypt. Oh my. It's turning out to be a lot bigger than I thought it would be. It's a little hard to describe but it's basically a maze leading into a dot room with a maze leading to the exit. The portions of mazes are small and the dot room will be 8x10 and 8' high. I can't wait till it's finished.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Grand work there Haunted Lilly! You know, you should seriously think about doing this for a living. There are people in various parts of the country (especially in MA/ME/NY area that feed their Halloween fixed on stuff like this).

I know that Halloween isn't celebrated much where I live and I do miss the whole trick or treat thing at night back East.

I've done the cornstalks, pumpkins and lights...but not overly scary. The plus side is that it can stay up until Thanksgiving.

As for inside the house...the guest bathroom (1/2 bath) is in a Egar Allen Poe theme...with death photos of the mid-1800s and a crow perched up high...sitting up over the door - Nevermore!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

OHMANOHMANOHMAN.......

WOW..... IT'S STARTING TO WORK OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.... I have the foam tombstones cut-out and carved (dang... gotta love the Dremel...) have to paint the backs.... then do a black wash on them.........

And the Ghost worked out (well untill I can string it up.....) but so far it looks cool......

An' the fence is getting painted.......

An' th' creapy hand coming outta th' ground......

and bats....

an the spyder web..... the BIG spider web..... still have to sew together the spider fer it............

I will re-charge my camera batterys..... but I have untill this Friday to have everything finished.....

BUT ....... DANG........ IT'S GOINNA LOOK SOOOOOOOOO DANG COOL........

Too bad th' flyer is so large..... 8 1/2 x 11..... or I'd post it here just to show it off..........

Thanks for the compliment Cheeky. I think I enjoy doing this too much to get paid for it. I have friends that run pro haunts and they just get so stressed out. I'm lucky that they share their secrets with us. It definitely makes us strive to do work we can be proud of.

Now Long Tom on the other hand should be making and selling his tombstones. I would buy them in a heartbeat. He was kind enough to show me some detailed pics and I seriously want to throw all mine away and re-make them using his method. (Net year).

I can't wait to see pics Patrick.

Speaking of pics, I've taken a few of the new structure. It's not done yet but if you want to see it, I put them on our photobucket page.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v289/klc...Halloween%2007/

Don't throw them out, Lily, just paint over the top! (Love your drybrush job on the gargoyles, btw. I'm sure your tombstones are similarly excellent.)

My one innovation in halloween decorating is quick and dirty faux granite. Looks like this.

DSCN3525.jpg

Directions on how to do the painting are here.

Can't wait to see your pictures, Patrick!

Thanks Tom. I think some of them can be painted over while others have been so wind and weather beaten they really do need to be replaced anyway.

Tomorrow is the big day to finish the structure. Yay, hurray. I can't wait till it's done. So for today, we've been busy getting a lot of little things done.

Now, I'm gonna carve some funkins. Woohoo.

Aaaaaaargggh.... allla the painting I still have to do......

and the spider... still gotta sew that... then wire it....

an the crypt......

And... and.....and......

On one hand I can say... why bother....

On the other..... BECAUSE IT'S GOINNA LOOK SO DANG COOL............

"If a thing is worth doing.... it's worth doing to excess......."

Ugh!

Tonight I ended up visting 2 Halloween stores (which you know ain't gonna be open after new years day after all the chrismas crap) , and here in consumer retail capital of America, i never felt so frustrated. I never seen so many stupid people in one place in my life! (well....except for the the tailgate crowd at a NY Jets Game...sorry NY fans, I am not native to this area).

I walked out with nothing in my hand but all I saw was more polyester and fake leather tricorns and Jack Sparrow rastafarian wigs that could supply the entire Chinese Army. Lots of justaoucorps coats and bucket boots as well. Finest quality on this little Earth! :rolleyes::P

But seriously, all I needed was a slighty larger-than-life rubber skull, which none was to be found. ..just smaller-than-life ones. Going back to post #1 of this thread , I am looking more for a styrofoam head...called a local wig shop, and by the time I could say half the word 'styrofoam', the sarcastic female voice on the other end said "$6.95".

is it me, but I am beginning to feel that there is a very unoriginal aspect of halloween. $29 smoke machines? come on! .....please help me if you feel differently.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Going back to post #1 of this thread ,  I am looking more for a styrofoam head...called a local wig shop, and by the time I could say half the word 'styrofoam', the sarcastic female voice on the other end said "$6.95".   

is it me, but I am beginning to feel that there is a very unoriginal aspect of halloween.  $29 smoke machines?  come on! .....please help me if you feel differently.

At our local Halloween Express, they are selling wig heads for $4.00. I got very lucky last year. A costume shop that was closing it's doors was selling them for .50. If you think there is enough time, I'd be happy to send you one.

As for the smoke machines, depending on what type of machine it is, $29.00 isn't a lot. I have a couple of commercial grade foggers that I wish were that price. In general, a good quality machine is based on power, wattage, output and all the bells & whistles. For example, if it has a timer or runs on a remote control.

Unfortunately, the pop up Halloween shops, are feeding the mass population. Cheap merchandise, low quality, and disposable. The one good part is the after Hallowen sales. For 50% off, at least the parts are worth salvaging.

Well.... I got everything set-up.... still have to do something about th' flying ghost..... maybe re-rig it so it looks better.....

I even took some pictures.....

But right now, I'm kinda burnt out..... so I'll just read a bit, then go to bed....

I'll post the pictures tomarrow, after a good nights sleep.....

This was supposse to be fun (well it was....) but dang.... I'm wore out.......

is it me, but I am beginning to feel that there is a very unoriginal aspect of halloween.

It's getting to the point where I'm not finding anything I want to buy at the halloween stores. Aside from not wanting to look like everyone else's haunt, they are now selling mass-market versions of the things I made by hand in previous years. This year I only bought the skull-shaped muffin tins and some plastic eyeballs that went into a jar in my mad scientist lab.

It takes some careful mix and match of the retail stuff, and preferably a bunch of scratch-built or heavily modified items that nobody else has.

Been contemplating making some bloodshot eyeballs, just because...

I want to make edible ones out of Chinese almond-milk gelatin (aka "almond lake"). I'm thinking maybe for the irises use gummy Life Savers. I don't know how I would go about making bloodshot veins, or a black pupil (or whether I'd bother, seeing as all that work would just get eaten).

Orientaltrading.com has some truly horrific accesories..

how about this punch EEgghhhhh!!

eeeghhh.jpg

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I want to make edible ones out of Chinese almond-milk gelatin (aka "almond lake"). I'm thinking maybe for the irises use gummy Life Savers. I don't know how I would go about making bloodshot veins, or a black pupil (or whether I'd bother, seeing as all that work would just get eaten).

The ones I was considering making are truffles dipped in white chocolate with M&M irises and bloody veins coloured in with food markers.

The ones in that punch look like the type made with radishes - carve the red off except for enough to look vein-ey and then scoop out the middle and stuff 'em with a green olive. They look really good in a Bloody Mary...

Looks great, Patt!

RHJMap.jpg

Nice job Mr. Hand!

Um Jill...ergh..I'm feelin queasy :rolleyes:

Bummer Post........

I don't know why I keep bothering.... the local costume contest..... the winner was the babe with the big tits wrapped in crepe paper ... will sorta wrapped..... sure she had a nice butt ....... but heck.....

OH well.... life in a small town..........

Heh...the Gilmore Pirates....

Come on ya know ya looked..... :rolleyes: They should have had male and female categories. Good luck next year