Sword or Gun

I've had training with a blade and my father used to take me hunting. That being said I'm a poor shot with a gun. I am pretty good with the blade and at least fair with my bare fists.

• 4 weeks later...

I still say..... blast thier head off (well go center mass... so thier chest...)....if the gun don't go off...... grab yer other one.... if that don't work...... hack 'em wit yer cutlass.....

cool thing 'bout guns ..... ye can reach out and touch someone....

cool thing 'bout knives an' swords... is they don't missfire......

Blades do not require re-loading, nor do they run out of ammo unless the weilder is dead. Pistols are nice, but I've been shot and continued fighting in the real world. When a body recieves a serious wound deep from a blade, it collapses quickly and naturally with few exceptions. Experience from my biker days in bar brawls.

Bo

Shipmates, I'm not sure that I understand the historical context of this question.

If we're talking "suppose this were the GAOP", and it's a choice between a flintlock firearm or a sword: then we have a great topic for a debate.

There, my choice would be a sword, given the misfire rate and slow rate of fire power of a pistol or blunderbuss: if we're talking about a weapon for close range.

However, my choice for an optimal period weapon would be a musket with a bayonet. I could fire ball, buckshot, buck and ball, or birdshot, and with the bayonet attached, I've got a spear and club (butt-end) combination that's better than any sword.

Now, if we're talking TODAY: a sword is so far out of the running compared with modern repeating cartridge firearms, it's not even a serious point for discussion.

A sword vs. a bolt action .308 with telescopic sights? Or vs. an assault rifle, or a 12 gauge pump with 00 or 000 buckshot, or a .357, or .45, or high capacity 9mm?

I'm as much of an anachronist as you're ever going to meet: but a sword's way-down on my list of things I'd want to have in my hand, if my life were at stake. :D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Ahoy Capn'william... I believe that this is about pre-modern firearms, after all this IS aPyrate forum. :D

On that note, have you seen the cop shows where they dump a 15 round clip at 6 feet and never hit a thing? Just to clear my point, my reference to modern bar brawls was only to emphasize the effect of a bullet vs. a blade to the body. This of course is dependent entirely on shot placement. Humans haven't changed in that way over time. Don't forget also the Navy Seal who fought severely wounded for over a half hour to cover the escape of his teammates. How many times had he been shot before he finally fell? All modern firearms.

Something for thought anyhow.

Bo

It was intended as more of a personl, historical, question. There seemed to be those at the pub that had either a tendancy for the gun or the sword. I was merely curious, as to who favored what...

B)

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

OK. From the way some mates were responding, I thought they might be answering in the present context.

I still go with what I said earlier: I'd prefer a sword for "then" (talking personal defense / shipboard use, NOT battlefield use), a gun for "now".

Even so: one of these days, I think it would be a wise investment to get a good cutlass, and a good Bowie. No wallhangers, but good "using" pieces, for last ditch home defense.

You never know!

I lived through Katrina: it makes you think, believe me. :D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot believe I left out the most important part of using a blade... noiseless!

Not to mention they are WAY easier to clean!! :(

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Not to mention they are WAY easier to clean!!  :ph34r:

YUP! AND... you can use THIER clothes to clean it :ph34r:

:ph34r:

As I have often done. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Even so: one of these days, I think it would be a wise investment to get a good cutlass, and a good Bowie. No wallhangers, but good "using" pieces, for last ditch home defense.

You never know!

I lived through Katrina: it makes you think, believe me. :ph34r:

Capt. William

I like this guy. If ever in need of "real" blades. look me up. frokm custom to semi custom I gotcha covered.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to jump off-topic but I saw this post and the first thing that came to mind was the quote from "The Untouchables" when the old cop played by Sean Connery says "Typical Italian.....bings a knife to a gunfight".

:rolleyes:

But anyway, I like guns, of course, because cutlasses can't go 'bang'.

as you were, gentlemen B)

SHIP2-1.jpg

well they will if their cheap enough  sorry i guess i wasnt that funny 

I mean you no offence, mate.

For I would only give the account that real GAOP pirates weren't always rich enough to afford a pistol, as even your average 1860's civil war soldier couldn't have enough money to procure a Colt revolver for himself as perhaps his comrades did. I'd only give the advice that it's probably best to stay within your budget. Nothig wrong with a cutlass.

...or even a $35 replica.

My one and only advice is for you to decide what your theatrical objective is.

SHIP2-1.jpg