Your Garb

Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to make my buttonholes look better is practice.

I have read somewhere (not sure what time period) that apprentices had to practice making 100s if not 1000s of buttonholes before being allowed to do them on "real" garments.

For my sailor short jacket, I made about 10 practice ones before I attempted any on the coat.

It had 18 buttonholes all together... and most of them turned out like "Frankenstien buttonholes". I think that the last 3 were the best (and they are on the cuff :D ).

GOF-sailor-sj-124.JPG

Here is the best one... and thats an honest to goodness original button too! :D

GOF-sailor-sj-132.JPG

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My delimma is the far ends always seem to pull to the left... I can straighten em afterwards but why I can't get them straight when being sewn... ??? Maybe I should try Kass's bar tack instead of the fan.

In which case how do you reinforce the fabric under the bar tack?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:lol:

I hear ya, Patrick.

I don't mind doing buttonholes by hand or by machine. At least by hand I have a little more tedious control.

And, GoF... too late. I'm "fell" in historical before I "slipped" into Piracy. So, Piracy is my release from having to be 100% period and historically correct with the Rev War.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'm "fell" in historical before I "slipped" into Piracy. So, Piracy is my release from having to be 100% period and historically correct with the Rev War.

When I started Pyracy, I kinda thought the same thing (after Civil War Reenacting)..... Heck... I'll just have fun with it...... Howard Pyle kinda stuff....... That didn't last very long.... Beware of th' Dark Side......it will get you, and won't let go......... :lol:

I did Revwar before doing pyracy, and my experience was that Rev groups aren't 100% correct. High 80s and low 90s maybe, but I could probably count on one hand the number that hit the high 90s.

And I'm ok with that. This is, afterall, just dress-ups for grown-ups.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I've been in a lot of reenactment groups and seen many more. Never saw any that were 100%.

And frankly the ones that are in the 90s across the board are boring as all get out. All they do is sit around and complain about that other 10%.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

There is truth in that. Nothing worse than great looking reenactors who sit around and complain about those who don't match their standards.

I'd rather not complain about stuff. At an event, it should be all about "let's have fun"! The time to talk about this kind of stuff is when we are off of the field, not while on the field, hence, web forums.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

No! I mean they sit around and complain about themselves! They just make themselves miserable...

I, for one, hate when people talk to me at events about what we should be wearing. Alas it is a hazzard of my profession... But can a girl get a day off?

I think its cool though that both or you are hand stitching some pirate kit now though...

Watch out, its a slippery slope into the historical camp!

GoF

lol.i could see that happening! i have been hand sewing costumes (and some machine sewing) for about 20 years now.i just never did anything historically accurate.

and i agree about the people that complain about others costumes at events.i just like looking at everyones and remarking on the parts i do like.

Heh.

I must admit that most of my garb falls within the fantasy/Howard Pyle arena, but I have a few pieces that are more authentic (although they are a combination of machine and hand-sewing; I'm too busy and impatient to completely hand sew anything.)

RHJMap.jpg

But can a girl get a day off?

No.

In fact I just sent you a question to your site (snicker) B)

No rest for the wicked! B)

Whether you're a Fantasy or Period pirate, I feel everyone should make themselves a linen shirt. They're sooooo much cooler (as in Temperature)

I've made myself a few now and I will refuse to make another cotton shirt again for anyone. I love linen!

Hee hee hee!

Way to go, Jack!!! B)

I have often said that linen shirts are the "gateway drug" of historical clothing. Once you get someone into one, they never want anything else!

B)

i was just trying to get a pic to make a sig and came out with a couple neat (but all too blurry) ones.the first one just has a cool effect of oil lamp or candlelight (totally unplanned) and the second is just plain scary! id jump ship if i saw me coming aboard! lol (a camera flash just doesnt suit me)

DSC02884.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

all i had available to make my sig is Paint. so does it look ok? is it too big,etc?

Lets see not trying for fantasy pirate, but not so certian this fits into 100% stich counting historical accuracy either. Ahem so somewhere inbetween an attempt at being functional and or close to ..................100-0038_IMG.jpg

I did say attempt :lol: , now back to me pots

Ye ships potter, trying hand at seamstress.

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Well, here is my latest outfit.... I was going more "authentic looking" with this, but I comprimised and used machine stitching and other short cuts as this set of garb is the basis of a set of fencing garb that needs to be more functional that authentic.

And a shameless plug here, the shirt, long waistcoat, and breeches are all made from Reconstructing history patterns.

l_89fd5297c44d5e5b373dd4b09220320f.jpg

And another shot of me in action...

l_9906ef4495448b6065cf16336c396b84.jpg

I don't have the footwear I want to go with this outfit yet, in the top picture, I'm wearing my modern work shoes, and in the bottom, picture I am wearing bucket boots (and my pair of brown trousers instead of the breeches).

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, here is my latest outfit.... I was going more "authentic looking" with this, but I comprimised and used machine stitching and other short cuts as this set of garb is the basis of a set of fencing garb that needs to be more functional that authentic.

And a shameless plug here, the shirt, long waistcoat, and breeches are all made from Reconstructing history patterns.

Very nice job michaelsbagley! You look wonderful! Love the colour on you!

Cheeky

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"