Your Garb

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine work there Jack to be sure!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

I've been doing historical clothing reproductions for going past 20 years now. I HATE the word "costumes" since what I do IS clothing and made to last. I've done everything from medieval era to civil war outfits. I have to admit that pirates are my favorite so far. :lol:

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

I use to do costuming. The work is often the same but costumes are very often NOT what the reproduction clothing is. I have done costumes that needed to be tougher than normal clothing and others that just had to have the correct "feel" to them visually but fabric was not an issue. I wouldn't say that one is easier than the other but PC garb/clothing and Stage costumes are two VERY different beasts most of the time ...especially if you have a very limited budget at the theatre. (I worked in community theater. LOL)

After reading Patricks post suppose I should add a tip. ...when in a hurry and on stage a stapler works very well to pin hems up until after the show. LOL

Edited by Silkie McDonough

I HATE the word "costumes" since what I do IS clothing and made to last.

Well I also make animal Mascots.... so they are costumes, and not clothing..... well unless you really do want to go shopping dressed as a Pizza...... :blink:

When I do make costumes for myself, they are usually functional.....(Gotta have pockets...) But I will only wear them a few times, so I use whatever I have that will look OK.... I save the linen, wool and hemp for garb/my Pyrate stuff....

For my Airship Pyrate stuff, I can use cotton, so I don't worry about it...... (but it's still sturdy and functional...Hey... I gots pockets in me "Combat kilt"..... a total of five of them.....)

Oooo, do I get to inspect those pockets as well as the kilt? :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog