Your Garb

Hey Patrick Hand- I know you put alot of effort into making REALLY NICE PERIOD ITEMS...since your boss wants to go "Hollywood Sexy Pitrate" have you considered Ebay- There are a TON of sexy hollywood pirate clothing on there... I always use the "Pirate SCA" or "Pirate Renaissance" key words for searching...75% of the stuff pulled up may be exactly what she's looking for..... Since it's not for your kit and you will not be wearing it in the future, it may save you a bunch of hastle and time...

I cannot sew...I REALLY wish I could... I guess I just need to start practicing. You'll probably be able to make the same Ebay stuff- even better- for MUCH less though if you do it yourself...

Just some ideas... good luck... ever since I found this board I'm starting to save up to push my entire kit as historically accurate as possible...I'll be ordering from Kass's great site soon... I've been mowing over pics of everyone's garb for the general "look" I want to go for.

Graham

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some ideas... good luck... ever since I found this board I'm starting to save up to push my entire kit as historically accurate as possible...I'll be ordering from Kass's great site soon... I've been mowing over pics of everyone's garb for the general "look" I want to go for.

Graham

just scrolling thru all the pages of the members in their garb (the one on the rabblerousing board) is very inspiring. i have to admit i have saved a few of the pics to my pc just for ideas on future projects- not to copy,just for inspiration

This is how I started with a pirate LARP character a few years ago:

yohoho.jpg

normal_Mat%20und%20Ashamaar.JPG

And this is my latest LARP character, Mr. Weland Pommery:

Pommery05.jpg

normal_Pommery01.jpg

Pommery02.jpg

Pommery04.jpg

Unfortunately it started to rain so my wife couldn´t make more pictures from me in my entire outfit.

With some work on a few details I guess I will easily fit in an Living History or Reenactment event... but I prefer to do some Reenlarpment ;)

Thank you!

I´m very pleased with the "common look"... even if most of the LARP- pirates wouldn´t recognize me as a sailor without a cocked hat ;)

The clothing is all made by me... except the striped slops... I wasn´t able to sew much in the past few weeks, so I´ve ordered a pair of slops, trousers and a shirt from Kass to complete my outfit for a huge event I´m going to in two weeks... so if you folks want some really good stuff and won´t make it yourself: Get it from Reconstructing History... it´s worth every single cent you pay for it!

And no, I´m not on her paylist ;)

(edit: Okay, no codes are working to imbed images, and it's pissing me off. here's links instead...)

Here's my pirate garb. Nothing particularly historical, but I work with what I've got. I haven't taken any photos since I cocked my new hat, hoping to get some soon.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/They...=S3010011-1.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/They...nt=S3010030.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/They...current=mme.jpg

Here I was bored at midnight and I was playing with my cell phone camera. My overcoat is a Swiss military wool coat. Obviously not period at all, but looks pretty good, I think.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/They...1607_004150.jpg

youre the first person here ive seen wear bracers.i have several pairs myself but im also into medieval/fantasy costumes.i havent dared wear my bracers in pirate costume becuase i know i would be made fun of. i like the look tho

oh what does LARP mean?

oh what does LARP mean?

Live Action Role Playing........

Kinda like D&D, but instead of rolling dice, you get to hit other people using boffer swords and such....

Mhmm... doesn´t sound much like the hobby I´m doing. If it´s of interest I´ll explain it later... but right know I´m too tired to write something wise.

Hey... that was the "Short Version" of it..... :rolleyes: .... "what does LARP mean?"

Of course there is more to it than that..........

If anyone wants more information..... I'l leave it to you to explaine in more detail exactly what LARPing is, and I'd also like to hear (well read) more about the game that you are in....... cool......

Well... I´m a bit lazy this time... so let´s just see what the wiki says about LARP: What is LARP?

It gives quite a good overview about the different games called LARP.

Me, I prefer to play "history orientated" (plots/setting/clothing) without fantasy elements, magic and stuff. So someone created a new word for it: Reenlarpment.

There are P&P based, upleveling/uppowering rulesysrems... but I don´t like them.

We have kind of guidelines, almost without written rules... it simply says:

"YOU CAN WHAT YOU CAN (PORTRAY)"

You have to convince the others by acting and playing (and of course clothing!) that what you are doing effects something ... and not because you have written skills on a little piece of paper :o

Sorry for putting this thread so way off topic!

Very dashing, Mr Porter. My compliments to all looks.

LARP sounds like fun. I've seen people do it. It's rather interesting. It's kinda like reenacting... but, like he mentioned, the new word out there: reenlarpment. :o Tis a good term when you are not fully historical but you are acting it out in live play. Especially with Movie and other Fictional characters.

Wish we could do more of that at the Fests instead of just walking around. It's tough getting someone into the fun cause of fear factors and rules. But, tis easy enough to work around them, says I.

And, very cool duds, Galvon.

~Lady B

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I think it would be fun if accuracy was inforced....... but that's just me....

LARPS do sound like a lot of fun..... I've seen pictures of some that look like bad SCA get togethers..... but they don't have to be that way.....

How would you act, what would you do.....

Kinda what reenactements sorta do..... but kinda sorta more personel.......

a bit back on topic.....

How would you dress.....?

Kinda like D&D, but instead of rolling dice, you get to hit other people using boffer swords and such....

That entirely depends on what kind of LARP you play.

You've got fantasy live: which is the boffer/latex weapons one.

And then there's an entire lot of other systems.

Old World of Darkness live is via rock-paper-scissors challenges, and the New World of Darkness uses a D10 to do challenges.

I play Camarilla (World of Darkness) LARP, and while we're allowed to bring boffer weapons, they're purely as props :)

Speaking of LARP games, there's a pirate LARP over in the UK called Burnt is Clean.

http://www.burntisclean.co.uk :)

It's not the only one though, but the only one I know of and that I have the link of.

Of course, there are ample opportunities to play a pirate in another LARP, I play one in Requiem.

• 2 weeks later...
I play Camarilla (World of Darkness) LARP, and while we're allowed to bring boffer weapons, they're purely as props :)

What if I bring my Blunderbuss, pistols (loaded) and cutlass.....would that win vs. "Rock-paper-scissors"....

I figure it would....

but then no one would wanna play next week..... :lol:

Kinda like my paintball gun..... I coulda bought a .22 for the same price.... I just get into more trouble if I shoot people with the .22 :blink:

Sorry.......

Ok... back On topic....

We almost have the colors figured out for Carol's (my Boss) garb for PiP.... I bought some teal wool at the annual "Mooses Yard Sale" (cool... $3.00 for 10 yards...) I also sent her the web page for a on-line place to get linen (to line the Jumps and make her blouse)....

I also got a thin wool blanket for $2.00.... I might dye it a darker blue, and make a lighter jacket for myself.... (it gets too hot in Key West to wear my grey wool one...)

Here is a picture of me in a new outfit.... It is mostly historical stuff, although there are a few comprimises (like the bucket boots).

l_ab79eee6e333754e65c1f828e65916c5.jpg

Most of this outfit is machine sewn as I was trying to rush to get it done, although the pants and shirt are both hand sewn (despite the fact they are barely visible in this photo).

Edit - I changed the photo, as the other photo better shows off the hand made sword belt that I made, as well as other elements in the outfit are better shown.

Michael_banner.jpg

I have posted these in other threads, but if it will add to the mix...

slops.jpg

shoreparty.jpg

CaptBo.jpg

I have a new jacket I got ffrom Kass that is the grey wool with red linen lining. Most excellent work and the Civil War thread counters were all over me with compliments on it, even after I told them it was a 1705 slop contract jacket. I'll get some pic's of it up AFTER our temp goes back below the 100's here!

Ahoy again!

Well I figured I would post some of my more fun piccys of garb i own that is fitting for this genre.

Well here is me as an Able seaman aboard The hector Doing some bottle netting like a good uhh sailor lad.

piccys118.jpg

this is calicoJack doing some knotwork aboard the same ship

piccys120.jpg

Here I am in my less accurate but fun Ren garb at the King Richards Ren Faire

105_0502.jpg

in a pub on talk like a pirate day

TalkLikeapirateday2006005.jpg

Calicojack on Talk like a pirate day

TalkLikeapirateday2006001.jpg

And here is my geekiest shot this is from a larp where I played a pirate...but it was changeling...so i was not human so that is why the makeup and ears, but it is fun and horribly inaccurate!

Commie.jpg

here ya go fun and feel free to have a laugh! :)

Wonderful job michaelsbagley!  I love the colour on you!

"What bucket boots?!"  :lol:   Do you plan to wear that beautiful collection in Toronto?

Thanks again Cheeky!

I'm not normally big on red, but I do love that coat... Although it fits the other half, and she got more compliments wearing it than I did. :lol:

I'm not sure if I will ever get to wear that coat again, it may go to the lady, as I just washed it for the first time, and well.... the wonderful red bled all over the place, and now the white lining is pink. ;)

I'm going to try and spot bleach it in order to save it, but my hopes are not high at the moment. ;)

Oh, almost forgot... AnnaMarie, your stuff looks great! ;) Please keep up the good work! Good job on the photography as well, your photographer managed top capture very candid natural shots as opposed to "posed" pictures.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

I sadly have none of my lovely ladies garb pictures...seems my man perfers me dressed as a boy.....hmmm....perhaps that is best left untouched :rolleyes:

The photographers are me and he taking turns...if you see me in the shot he is the photographer and if it is him it is me.

I try to have fun, as I love both the historical and theatrical aspects of playing dress up.

I keep my closet full of both options so try to be prepared for what ever op. arises.