Building a raft

Silent

I didn't know where else to post this. Anyway my buddy and I are looking to build a raft for the lake, put some pirate flags on it, that sorta thing. We don't really know where to start so I did some searching on the interweb and didn't find much there eather. Do any of you happen to know a site that has good blue print to make a raft, for a 3-4 men. I can't swim so it'll have to be a good one ;)

are you only using wood, or using other things? is plastic allowed? =p

i remember in my physics class ages ago, our teacher challenged us to build functional boats out of cardboard. my group's was the only one that made it across, which was pretty awesome. this has nothing to do with rafts, i just really want to build another cardboard boat...

61jctci.jpg

A buncha logs lashed together would be a lots of fun.... but you may also wanna check out this page....

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

How to make a plywood pirogue..... hey,,, a bunch logs lashed together will float.... but they are not maneuverable...... a small boat would be helpfull (and if the lashing breaks up... or burns..... or anything goes wrong (it all depends on how much partying yer plannin' on doing...) well a small boat could come in handy...... :huh:

Do any of you happen to know a site that has good blue print to make a raft, for a 3-4 men. I can't swim so it'll have to be a good one :huh:

Silent, please tell us yer teasin' 'bout goin' out on a raft an can't swim! It's so easy t' fall off a raft, mate. They don't hav tillers an often go where the current carries 'em.

Good luck, if ye do venture out on one.

Yeah, i wanted to make a flat walking area as the base on some plastic barrles maybe with a mast and a ruter. I'm not sure how I'd go about putting all this together but I thought it would make a fun summer thing to do with friends

A bovine strategic offensive machine?

(What the heck is a cattle tank? Is this like de-tassling corn?)

We used to build rafts at summer camp. They supplied us with fairly lightweight 4" - 6" diameter pieces of lumber, all cut to the same length and large rectangular pieces of polyfoam. We'd lash it together with ropes and go paddling around the lake. Neat. (Not too tough to do, either.) If you want a flat platform, nail a couple of sheets of plywood on top of the logs.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I thought everyone knew what a cattle tank was! :huh: Well, picture a dog's watering dish. Then picture one that's much, much bigger, big enough to hold enough water for a couple dozen cows. Some are metal, some are heavy plastic. I've seen people take either the metal or plastic ones down the river on occasion. The plastic ones also work great as sleds in the winter. :rolleyes:

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

I thought everyone knew what a cattle tank was! :o Well, picture a dog's watering dish. Then picture one that's much, much bigger, big enough to hold enough water for a couple dozen cows. Some are metal, some are heavy plastic. I've seen people take either the metal or plastic ones down the river on occasion. The plastic ones also work great as sleds in the winter. :o

Are you from down south :o

Silent down here we still call em a trough (quess thats how you spell it) and we don't bother takin' it down river as it is usually an old bath tub or solid concrete. Besides a few tractor or skidder intertubes work better..... long as you don't mind the gators and cotton mouths. For your raft project I'd recomend you make a frame out of 2x6"'s lash in some some platic 50 gallon drums and then cover the deck with 3/4" ply. Since it ain't no permant deal I'd save money and use the cheapest ply you can get. A sail is optional and will most likely be as effective as a fart in a whirl wind but then style may be more your aim on that. Rafting on a lake isn't something I can give an opinion on as most times I've heard of rafting it was on a river so as the current pushed you along. Best of luck though

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET