Other Periods of Re-enactment

The Mummy is on. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a group that re-enacts 1930s to early WWII adventurers(sp?) like the Mummy or Indiana Jones. I know there are people that collect period military equipment, this would be like the hollywood pirate version of that. Thoughts, anyone?

That thought came up followed by which came first, the hollywood pirate re-enactor or the historical pirate re-enactor?

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

That thought came up followed by which came first, the hollywood pirate re-enactor or the historical pirate re-enactor?

Well, Hollywood started featuring pirates in movies as early as 1908. I suspect if you'd presented the modern idea of re-enacting to someone from that time period they would look at you sort of funny. Then again, young boys have been "playing" at re-enacting what their fathers and heroes did since time began. The stir that books like A General History of the Most Notorious Pyrates created in the early 18th century show that there was a lot of interest in the subject and it certainly danced in the imagination of many people. Casting about the 'net suggests that there is evidence of battle re-enactments as far back as the 16th century. Perhaps you should do a thesis on it.

As for enacting fictional archaeological adventures...while it sounds sort of cool, it also sounds expensive. And there's the bother of finding all those caves and tombs and stuff to raid. RPGs may be a better route. (I once proposed building a bunch of movable walls and props to enact AD&D adventures. Then the pocketbook issue arose. So I just build haunted house rooms instead - similar but different.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The whole 1930's early1940's thing would be a ton of fun, I remember being asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I responded with "I want to be an adventurer and archaeologist like Indiaina Jones" :lol: ... Although (sorry to bandy semantics), would it really be "re-enacting" since it is basically pulp fiction that you would be basing everything on?

I think there are some pulp fiction Role Playing Games out there, I imagine it would'nt be hard to transpose one of those into a LARP (Live Action Roleplaying Game).

Michael_banner.jpg

Afternoon Folks!

Actually there is a place on the web called the Fedora Lounge, where folks are very into the Golden era and such.

Many are just interested in the hats. However there is always a "gathering" aboard the Queen MaryII I believe in November. This is a large group of retro folks enjoying the life on a period correct cruise for a night or three.

The Kishwaukee Vigilance Committee (Some of the Archangel crew) have also done roaring 20's. Heck, we're in Illinois and Wisconsin! That's Gangland territory Folks!!!

I have also wanted to do some work in this era.

Keep folks posted! It wouldn't be hard, since the WWII folks are a very good group of folks and the ladies always look smokin'!!!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Wow! Now this is cool..

Battle re-enactments as far back as the 16th century? Fascinating..

early1940's thing can be fun..I have some "Retro friends" and..um probably more 50's coffe pots than I should have.. eh..happens when you get into swing. That is a fun era 30' - 50's.

I agree the womens clothes are nice. They even went bare midriff in the 40's B)

Wow retro on the QMII? Cool..thanks Rats and all!

and cool hats..as I said to BlackJohn recently, it's all about cool hats and chocolate :o ...I believe he agreed :o

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

There are many military re-enactment groups that specialize in WWI and WWII eras.

The guy who founded the Star Wars Stormtrooper group (the 501st, they marched in the Rose Parade in January) is a WWII reenactor as a wounded soldier because he is an amputee (lost his leg in a car accident). Anther woman who is also a Star Wars costumer does a WAC and Red Cross Nurse of the same era.

Out here in California I know several people who do historical re-enactments of battles in the area. One man I've known for several years portrays Kit Carson.

Heck, my grandfather was a "mountain man" re-enactor up to and including making his own muzzle-loading rifles and teaching me how to throw a beaver-tail knife at a target. :rolleyes:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Wow! Now this is cool..

Battle re-enactments as far back as the 16th century? Fascinating..

"Mock skirmishes and military displays staged before audiences seem to have been quite popular in the C17th. On one such occasion in 1635 the London Trained Bands successfully demonstrated their prowess in front of the King, but things went horribly wrong when mingling with the public afterwards. Someone lit up a pipe near the gunpowder store and a stray spark caused an explosion that left a dozen dead and over fifty injured! This obviously didn't put anyone off though as in 1638 a stylised battle between Christians and Moors, entitled Mars hys triumph, was staged in London. Later, in 1645, Parliamentarian troops chose Blackheath on which to restage one of their recent victories, although still actively at war with surviving Royalist forces.

"Fetes, pageants and entertainments (often with a historical theme) were staged in villages and great country houses throughout Britain in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. An early example took place in 1821, when the Duke of Buckingham staged mock Napoleonic naval battles on his lake at Wotton House for the amusement of family and friends, using boats and firing real cannon balls! These are occasionally dug up on the bank of the lake even today. The Duke of Newcastle later did much the same at Clumber Park, using a third scale frigate (eventually sunk by accident by boisterous children!). Victorian aristocrats would sometimes hold parties and dress up in costume and antique armour - for example, in 1840 Lord Glasgow organised a full medieval style joust at Kelburn Castle in Scotland."

(From: http://www.eventplan.co.uk/history_of_reenactment.htm )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Wow now there's a way to throw a bbq! Hmm I have to rethink my next party. ~ Still gotta have smores tho.. :huh:

I had read about demonstrations such as jousting being put on at fetes, but not all of the above..

This is wondeful! Thanks!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Several groups I be involved with are dedicated ta model airplane building in the style of the 50's an 60's. The Vintage Stunt Championships been happenin' in Tucson fer @20 year now. Ya gets more points fer a pre '52 design and an ignition (points an condenser) engine. The '52 stunt pattern be used an all modern safety rules be enforced. It's a HOOT cause a lot of the original designers, World and National champions attend. The Senior Pattern Flyers Assoc recreates R/C class 3 aircraft of the 50's thru the 70's. Most of the early 60's designs had to deal wi' the short commings of primitive radios. A Taurus wi' the original K/B .45 and an 8 channel reed system was a slow, jerky, (an world champion fer several year) airplane. Wi' a modern engine an a proportional radio, a few changes ta incidences an thrust line, it's like flyin' sumthin' outta Star Wars ;)

I don't think any of 'em fetch ya extra points fer dressin' the part ;)

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

i always wanted to find a group to reenact the 50s and early 60s.i love the whole greaser thing 

Blackbonie, you are killing me. You truly are.

if you're "that" interested in that kind of thing, the annual Viva Las Vegas festival is the place for you:

Viva las Vegas

I'll point you int the right direction of you want to know more, just shoot me a message if you are interested

I spent more than 20 years obsessed with the whole 50's/60's thing including spending close to 1 grand making my kitchen looking like a glorified surf green & white Johnny Rockets complete with boomerang countertop and chrome banding. I have a walk-in closet full of vintage clothing, items which date back to the 40's...spent too many times going to shows like Big Sandy & the Fly-Rite Boys, and now I decided to turn pirate and selling my restored two-tone 1957 Ford Fairlane so I could buy a sailboat and camp out in it in places unknown. I hail from a sailing family anyway. I used to pal around with the younger rat-rod crowd, not the old geezer hotrodders, but I can't stand being on land anymore, so the car has got to go.

SHIP2-1.jpg

One of my Instructors is a lifetime member of SASS. He's been attempting to get me into it. But at the moment, no horse of my own, not fantastic sharpshooter on horseback and not as into the 19th c as I use to be. Perhaps later on in life, though. :)

But, good point and subject brought up. Again, so many reenactments that surround war. Few of them surround peacetime.

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have been interested for a long time in doing other re-enactment time periods.

I would truly enjoy stepping back in time to the American Civil War or the Wild West period.

But I would also love to step back in to the 30's, 40's, 50's and even the 60's.

The Big Band Swing Era, The time of the SpeakEasy, the Hop of the 50's and the Revolutionary time of the 60's....Wow!

I grew up in record hops so it would be wonderful to experience those time periods.

And I must say that the clothes were very nice back then too. And I love clothes so I would have a wonderful time playing dress up for the time periods.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

The Mummy is on. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a group that re-enacts 1930s to early WWII adventurers(sp?) like the Mummy or Indiana Jones. I know there are people that collect period military equipment, this would be like the hollywood pirate version of that. Thoughts, anyone?

Yes, I know people who do or have done various "between the wars" reenacting. It's pretty cool. Of course, I've known people who have done periods going back as far as ancient Greece, and up to Operation Desert Storm. But if you like The Mummy, and 1930s, you might be more interested in a Cthulhu LARP, LARP being an acronym for Live Action RolePlaying.

When I'm in one of those "time to quit reenacting pirates" moods, I often consider doing something cool, like Aurel Stein or Sven Hedin reenacting.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.