Baltimore pirate events?

After some rambling in Pirate Pop, I thought I'd make this post to ask anyone who's in Baltimore if there are any events where historical accuracy isn't as much of an issue. Because, while I intend to eventually devlop an accurate costume, with my money issues the way they are (college kills!) I probably won't be able to do that for a while, but I'd still like to participate in functions and not wind up on someone's "look how innaccurate her costume was!" website =p (i ran into a few of those before i stumbled into this forum)

anyway, thanks for any information you might have

61jctci.jpg

No, not really. If there is a center of the historical pirate reenacting universe, it would be right here in Baltimore.

:lol:

Now, that being said, the MR Renfaire has a huge "fantasy" pirate following that may have some loose connections to the SCA or something. Sometimes folk from that crowd show up here to promote things, so keep a weather eye out. And if anything crosses my horizon I'll point it out to you.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

It looks as there will be a "Talk Like a Pirate Day" cruise in the inner Harbor on the 19th of Sept with special guesses.

As John said there will be a lot of fantasy pirate stuff and The MDRF.

PARF has its Pirate Weekend the weekend before MDRF opens.

I think that is the 2nd weekend in Aug.

Be sure to check back here from time to time for stuff happening around the area.

Crimson

"No matter where you go. There you are."

Don't fret too much about not having a historically accurate costume yet. I don't have one either and I've found plenty of pirate events where you won't be a fashion no-no for wearing boots.

I do like to make sure the event I'm attending isn't for reinactment or strictly historically correct first. If it is I'll come in street clothes as a spectator and get ideas.

Check out the Pirate Invasion of Fells Point next spring (long time to wait, I know..).

The past two have been awesome!

Blue,

Good to have you here, and great that you are not letting a lack of garb stop you. Rogue has the best solution. If you don't have accurate garb go as a spectator. However, simple garb is easy and you can get away with a little leeway to start. My first event I failed to be accurate but everyone was understanding and didn't point and laugh (erll at least not to my face. B) ). The second I kept things simple. I Made a pair of slops and a shirt wore a pair of shoes that were "passable" and cocked a straw hat. Again, no one made a fuss but if you make others aware that you are building your kit they are willing to make suggestions and help.

My first suggestion ...wool socks. Made a BIG difference at the end of the day.

Don't fret too much about not having a historically accurate costume yet. I don't have one either and I've found plenty of pirate events where you won't be a fashion no-no for wearing boots.

I do like to make sure the event I'm attending isn't for reinactment or strictly historically correct first. If it is I'll come in street clothes as a spectator and get ideas.

Check out the Pirate Invasion of Fells Point next spring (long time to wait, I know..).

The past two have been awesome!

I'm very much looking forward to the Pirates in Fells Point event :D I sent them an email asking about next year (speaking of which, now I'm figuring the Crimson Corsair here is the one associated with that as well?)

As of now, it looks like I will just be going to the re-enactments and historical stuff as a spectator, and doing anything "piratey" primarily on my own =p oh well

61jctci.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for pirates in the Baltimore area, drive down to the Piratz Tavern in Silver Spring on Sept. 19 for the Talk Like a Pirate Day Party with the Pyrates Royale. Tickets on sale at www.piratesforsail.com ($25 in advance, $30 at the door).

Pirates for Sail perform every Friday night at Piratz Tavern. We do pirate-themed pirate cruises occasionally in the Inner Harbor aboard the Prince Charming (www.harborcruises.com). When the mighty Clipper City tall ship returns to the Inner Harbor, we should be doing regular pirate cruises and pirate party cruises with live pirate music.

If you're musically inclined, give us a hail. We're always looking for new performers.

At yer bloody service,

Nathaniel "Gute" Morgan

Buccaneer, Brigand, & Cutthroat

Plundering the Spanish Main Since 1701®

"Refuse that, 'n' ye've seen th' last o' me but musket balls."

• 3 weeks later...