Whydah hits the road

Fox

I'm sure some of you know about it, but for those who don't... The National Geographic's "Real Pirates" Exhibition is opening soon in Cincinatti, before going on the road and crossing the seas.

And as if that wasn't exciting enough, the outfits used in the exhibition were supplied by our very own Reconstructing History!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I was going to go tomorrow (openning day), but my other half got roped into working, and expressed some consternation at my suggestion of me going alone, so I'll be going on Sunday instead.

I'm really quite stoked about it, and exceptionally happy I am one of the few on this board that live close to where the exhibit is! <_<

I had also considered volunteering to help out at the musuem during the exhibit, but when I took a realistic look at my schedule of free time, I realised I wouldn't be doing either myself or the museum any favours by pursuing that.

Michael_banner.jpg

Well I got to see the exhibit.... I don't wish to post spoilers, as I know many will want to see it for themselves (and some/most/all) may not want it ruined.

It was a really good exhibit though, I enjoyed it immensely. The one thing that made me laugh heartily while walking through the exhibit, was looking at the costumes, all that kept going through my head was..."Kass's, not Kass's, Kass's, Kass's, not Kass's....." (refering to the costumes on the manikins).

One thing I will say, is leave your camera at home folks. Like many museum exhibits, they do not allow photography (even without flashes), and they monitor pretty closely. :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks for the update and info. I was little skeptical after I read that the producers of this exhibit were the same ones that did the recent King Tut. I saw the King Tut one and was slightly disappointed as they had little of the head masks that is so prominantly shown regarding King Tut.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I'll be going soon, it's about time we got some kind of pyratical event in cincinnati. :lol:

There are a lot of "special" programs associated with the exhibit this coming weekend (they were handing out flyers as we left).... Just about all of the events were geared towards children, but could still be fun for kids of all ages. :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Exhibition Schedule... I am only seeing Cincinnati... am I missing a link to further locations? Need to check out the lesson plans...

Congrats to Kass... well done!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

If anyone here is able to attend any of these exhibitions, could you kindly make photos of the items (if allowed) so that we can see them? I am very interested in all things Whydah... B) most especially knives and leather goods.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

One thing I will say, is leave your camera at home folks. Like many museum exhibits, they do not allow photography (even without flashes), and they monitor pretty closely. :rolleyes:

Did they offer a program/catalog with the exhibit?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

One thing I will say, is leave your camera at home folks. Like many museum exhibits, they do not allow photography (even without flashes), and they monitor pretty closely. :huh:

Did they offer a program/catalog with the exhibit?

No, unfortunately not. Despite the fact that I really did enjoy and like the exhibit, the lack of a program, catalogue, or a full colour coffee table book depicting the artifacts not being available for sale in the museum shop after was an item of disapointmet for me.

In fact, "Expedition Wydah" (which I beleive many of you already own) is the only book with any degree of images from the artifacts in the exhibit. And of course few (almost none), of the images in that book are in colour, and many of the images in that book are grainy.

Midnight, the only leather goods in the exhibit (that I noticed) were the shot pouch (which you have already done a great job recreating) and the shoe.... Oh, there was a recreation of a leather waste bag (read waste as human waste or middens).

And If memory serves me well, there was really only the one dinner knife.

All in all, I think I am going to have to go see the exhibit a second time and take notes. I really (in retrospect) feel that I was rushed through the exhibit by the density of the crowd that day. I probably won't risk bringing a camera, but a sketch/note pad could help me better remember details.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks, Michael, I'm sorry I didn't read your earlier post where you said cameras weren't allowed. That's too bad, but I can understand the reasons. Do you remember any details about the knife, Michael? ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

I probably won't risk bringing a camera, but a sketch/note pad could help me better remember details.

Ah good was going to suggest the sketch pad... well done!

Crewe of the Archangel

Thanks, Michael, I'm sorry I didn't read your earlier post where you said cameras weren't allowed. That's too bad, but I can understand the reasons. Do you remember any details about the knife, Michael? B)

Basically, the shape and profile of the knife was very similar to the one made by Patrick Hand which I will link an image to (hope you don't mind Patrick)...

ThrowingKnives.jpg

It was smallish (about a 4 to 5 inch blade), and very much had the air of an eating utensil to it (that might be because it was displayed with a fork and a spoon). The handle was a lot more ornate than Patrick's, I think it was made of ivory, or perhaps some other white opalescant material (mother of pearl?).

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. Since I know that is an item that you are particulariuly interested in, I'll make sure I take more careful notice of it next time I go to see the exhibit. :blink:

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks, Michael, I'm sorry I didn't read your earlier post where you said cameras weren't allowed. That's too bad, but I can understand the reasons. Do you remember any details about the knife, Michael?  :lol:

Basically, the shape and profile of the knife was very similar to the one made by Patrick Hand which I will link an image to (hope you don't mind Patrick)...

ThrowingKnives.jpg

It was smallish (about a 4 to 5 inch blade), and very much had the air of an eating utensil to it (that might be because it was displayed with a fork and a spoon). The handle was a lot more ornate than Patrick's, I think it was made of ivory, or perhaps some other white opalescant material (mother of pearl?).

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. Since I know that is an item that you are particulariuly interested in, I'll make sure I take more careful notice of it next time I go to see the exhibit. :lol:

Thanks so much, Michael. If I could find out more about the knife, I could probably replicate it, as I am also a knife maker. The particular style of Patrick's knives are a very common style of knife for the 1700's, you find that style to a large extent in North America used as trade knives. They were utility knives; used for everything from skinning game, whittling, eating and kitchen chores, or even taking scalps.

(1945)

I just went with a common shape for those knives..... But they are just for throwing.... the blades are not hardened,(so if they bend, you just stomp them semi-straight again) and the scales are thick leather riveted on with a peaned on nail.... So they are increadably crude......