Foppish Look and Airs of the GAoP

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh PiP is going to be a SPLENDID event!!

We may just have to add a skirmish to the list of events: Fops vs. Tars.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Gad Zeus! My apologizes to those upon this chat. I tried to post several examples of those items I mentioned above. Sadly, my computer is being quite stubborn and refuses to work properly. I dare say it is not intimidated by my constant shouts of disapproval nor the threat of being unplugged! I suppose that this blasted thing cannot take me seriously. Would you if you were being yelled at by a man wearing make up and wearing a wig?

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   Oh PiP is going to be a SPLENDID event!!

We may just have to add a skirmish to the list of events: Fops vs. Tars.

Just think...black powder and wig powder flying every where... too thick to see your hand in front of your very own face. :lol::lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

...Or if yer Killingsworth, a ladies skirt t' hide behind!

Where is Tess? (Killingsworth's cousin an skirt)

Jacky Tar,

Do you seriously think that I would spend any time with that…that Harpie? Last I knew she was over in the Port Royal chat causing trouble…AGAIN and making sure she can pay off her debts!

Besides, she isn’t my favorite cousin. Tess preaches to everyone but herself. God help the man she marries!

And Jacky Tar...I need not hide behind ANY woman’s skirt…thank you. I’ve killed over a lesser remark.

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Just think...black powder and wig powder flying every where... too thick to see your hand in front of your very own face. :lol::lol:

The long hair is mine, I wear no wig, an me pistol is loaded wit' black powder. (Leave it t' a fop t' load his wit' wig powder an run around gigglin' like a fool!)

If not fer yer cousin, I'd hav dispatched ye long ago!

Aye, she is quite the cunning lass when it comes to her wants and desires. Funny how woman do such things to men?

Tess’ behavior and habits are just one of many headaches that we experience. Alas, it is one of many down falls regarding our clan. You see, Lord Darnly, Tess St. Claire, myself…all have dirty little things hiding in our past. Oh everyone has at least one….even the elusive Lord Sterling does…and perhaps his son?!

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Oh, and how about the slightly post-GAoP Venetian dandy, Casanova, who has recently been portrayed in screen versions [which would probably give the Twill set hives] by Heath Ledger and David Tennant:

casanova_060213023840898_wideweb__300x350,1.jpgtennant-casaonova-brocade.jpg

tennant-casanova-wig.jpgtennant-casanova-1.jpg

Someone has even posted a fanvid for the Tennant Casanova production on YouTube, coincidentally setting it to the music of "Prince Charming", by that post-punk Fop we've already mentioned, Adam Ant:

"Prince Charming -- ridicule is nothing to be scared of!

Don't you ever, don't you ever,

Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome."

[Oops, I see Bloody Jack Madd already beat me to the "Prince" connection.]

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

"Nay, but perchance, foppish as I am, I might be the Scarlet Pumpernickel!" -Daffy Dumas Duck

(What's with the frowny face? That's anti-fop! It causes wrinkles.)

Oh Hester! These are quite spectacular, indeed. Come, you must have one of Christopher Eccleston – the Ninth Doctor Who?

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Oh Hester!  These are quite spectacular, indeed.  Come, you must have one of Christopher Eccleston – the Ninth Doctor Who?

Well, Reggie, here's Eccleston in a sumptuous Elizabethan outfit, but I think it's actually more Machiavellian than foppish:

ecclestone-elizabeth.jpg

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

''We seek him here, we seek him there,

Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.

Is he in heaven?

—Is he in hell?

That demmed, elusive Pimpernel.''

~Sir Percy Blakeney

Leslie Howard, 1934

l39.jpg

Anthony Andrews, 1982

sp82enchanted.jpg

Richard E. Grant 1999 (Hey Reggie, another Dr. Who connection!)

scarlet.jpg

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

(Hey Reggie, another Dr. Who connection!)

Oh, and how could I have failed to mention the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann:

180px-Eighth_Doctor_Publicity.jpg

Okay, granted, his clothing is stylistically too late for true Foppishness, but look at that velvet and brocade and the curling locks.

Honourable mention at least!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

[a Fop] was very feminine in his bearing often mincing about rather than walking normally.

The mincing step that Black Syren mentioned may not have been so much an "affectation" as a practical necessity given the highly impractical fashionable footwear that Fops would be drawn to.

No sensible footwear for the proper Fop!

A literary example of this would be the pirate captain Bilbo in George MacDonald Frasier's satirical novel Pyrates. [Hmmm... I must get my own copy of that and re-read it again this summer. Last time, I borrowed it from the library.]

Indeed, this penchant for impractical footwear seems to be the source of the character's name, as "bilboes" were a type of foot-shackle.

Does anyone have their copy to hand and care to quote the passage describing how much Bilbo suffers for his fashionable [stolen] shoes?

And I recall reading elsewhere (in Richard Zacks' Pirate Hunter , I think) that the stereotype of the pirate who liked to dress in flashy stolen finery is quite accurate. I believe he also mentioned that the footwear they wore ashore was often very elegant, but usually ill-fitting and uncomfortable as it had been plundered from some rich Fop who crossed their path, rather than bought to fit.

Enjoyed the discussion/pictures of the Red-heeled shoes. Thanks for that info, Tess & Sterling.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

This thread is fine where it is-besides I'm the only one here who can move it- other than the Admins.

...ah dear Reginald Killingsworth, as my dear little parrot is shouting, "Pirate, pirate". Hmmm, does he know something we don't?

ah wait, now he says, "It tastes like chicken." <_<B)B)

<_<B)B)

Killingsworth is the pubs fop piñata!!

Now Jacky Tar! (Tess says with a seductive smile)

Mind thy manners and respect thy betters. Even though he is quite the Fop, Reggie has many good qualities..

(Pause)

I just can't think of any as of the moment.

Hester, you are most welcome about the red shoe topic. I have at least 6 pairs of various cuts (sorry - they are NOT period correct) of high heels in my closet. Thanks to my weakness for shoes! Love them!

Okay...next question, French influence on FOP fashion during the GAofP.

How much was there and when did the French fashion start seeping into English Courts?

Anyone?

Reg, buddy, what have you started with this thread?

Hester's spent the entire day digging through her "Tickle Trunk", pulling out frilly ruffled shirts and brocade coats and making me try them on.

She even tried to tie ribbons in my cowlicks!

When I complained, she said I should feel lucky that she wasn't part of the "Twill set", or I'd be wearing shoes with red high heels and petticoat breeches, instead of the rather cool pair of black leather pants and bucket boots she dug up.

Anyhow, Reg, you'd better stop giving Hester these Foppy ideas, because I wield a pretty mean piñata stick, and ya don't want to piss me off.

Kowabunga, baby!

joes-big-wave-small.jpgsurfer-joe-wave-small.jpg

=Tess St. Claire,Jun 29 2007, 11:18 AM]

Okay...next question,  French influence on FOP fashion during the GAofP.

How much was there and when did the French fashion start seeping into English Courts?

Anyone?

Well, Mademoiselle...

It would be of greatened honour to add mon sous duex, in matters of particular queries. But, I do believe that I will be one to sit back and see what others might dredge up in response. Please do continue, I am most profoundly curious as to what might be offered in regard to "French Influence". :unsure:

And of note, and rather an important one. Having a finite sense of fashion does not automaticly make one a Fop. It is a far deeper subject than that. In truth, it is what might be called a subculture with its' own dictates, etc.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg