Foppish Look and Airs of the GAoP

This excites me to no avail! (I must calm myself or I shall cause my nose to bleed!) There are many topics to discuss here; wigs, make-up, and attire with all its wondrous flash! Not to mention manner/behavior and etiquette!

Ooo! This looks like it could be very entertaining, indeed!

(Waves handkerchief lightly) Come now...do not be shy!

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Bowing Low at the waist and waving his lace handkerchief)

It is an honor to be acknowledged by such a fair lady as you Iron Bess. ‘Tis a pleasure indeed.

And my dear Amanjiria, I am fairing well these day. Yes, I rather the barrel incident be forgotten. Damn those two Irish ruffians and I shall never truly forgive my beloved cousin, Tess St. Claire for her involved to my horrible demise! Still…she is family and all. La! What is one to do?

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Here to you who are interested.

This is a link that covers such things as vanity (make-up and application) not to mention Perfumes! Yes! Looking nice is just half the fun, Boys!

17th Century make-up and other items

I shall try to find other delicious items to and as for the mention of ‘puppy’s urine’ – I do not recommend such a thing. It’s always seems to clash with my favorite perfume!

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Ah, Reggie. You're the only person I know who could come back from the dead, dressed to the nines! :o

Bravo!

(Might want to watch yourself, though. In case you haven't noticed, the Irish boys are back!)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Egad! Quite right, my dear Ransom! Just catching up upon the Port Royal storyline and saw that they have appeared again. (Shutter!) But I digress…

I would like to extend a gracious thank-you to BlackJohn ( Again, bowing low at the waist) for his help in obtaining more information about the life/standards and so on and so forth about Fops.

Here they are…enjoy!

FopFest

18th Century Gent

ballindalloch

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Master Kenneth...(Raising an eyebrow in anticipation). Did you know that Tim Roth’s character, Archibald Cunningham, is whom I created my persona after? I would say you are a man of impeccable tastes!

Though, Alan Cumming’s character (Lord Rochester in Plunket and Macleane) is another Foppish character who is quite Dapper, though…if memory serves me right, his sexuality in this movie would be in question.

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Are you as deadly of a fencer as Master Cunningham?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Are you as deadly of a fencer as Master Cunningham?

Hmm? Good question. No one has been brave enough to challenge me to a dual. Though, I’ve kill a person for making fun of my lisp! I am a sensitive man, you see and I do not take kindly to those who insult me.

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Two comments. Just who is the evil bastard that put a "s" in lisp?

Second I will keep an eye on this thread. While I plan on being a hand before the mast for some time yet. You never know when you might get promoted. The knowledge can come in handy.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Now for those who are willing to try their hand at such things, I have listed a link to the Marquise website that includes recipes for face make up, and Spanish/Carmine reds and Mouches! (flies/patches of taffeta) for the proper look! Do take a look!

Make up recipes

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Seriously, Master Killingham, this might be a great thread for Captain Twill, since you have collected a nice array of period cosmetics sites. I'm not saying to abandon this one; I am merely saying that a thread in Twill might spark a good discussion with out all the *ahem* mincy distractions...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I looked at some of those sites you gave. Maybe after a few prizes, and a few officers loseing thier lives. I can afford a set of those clothes at a mast auction.

I looked at some of those sites you gave. Maybe after a few prizes, and a few officers loseing thier lives. I can afford a set of those clothes at a mast auction.

My dear JohnnyTar...it is not a fashion statement, but a state of mind!

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

It is my pleasure, Master Killingsworth, although please do not think I am suggesting that this thread is inappropriate. Rather I think Twill will attract the attention of those more historically-minded pub members who may not frequent Rabble Rousing.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well then I am afraid that I will always remain a hand befor the mast. :lol: Sigh

It is my pleasure, Master Killingsworth, although please do not think I am suggesting that this thread is inappropriate. Rather I think Twill will attract the attention of those more historically-minded pub members who may not frequent Rabble Rousing.

Not at all Bloody Jack Madd!

I have PMed Master Hawkyns to transfer this chat to Twill. Now we wait.

That's unless Mad Jack would be so kind to do the honors?

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Well then I am afraid that I will always remain a hand befor the mast. :lol: Sigh

Sorry Johnny Tarr, officers & gentlemen do not equal fop... :lol:;)

And Reggie... careful, if you move this to TWILL, give more evidence that coincides with the GAoP, not late 18th century...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/