Period correct Sword hilts ? besides clamshell?

I have seen many swords posted in various threads and usually the same ones come up.

There are fantasy swords, and some that are declared to be 'period correct' which usually are some

variation on the 'clam shell' design. I am trying to figure out exactly WHAT makes a sword, or particularly a sword hilt, period correct. I did run across a book listed online for sale "British Basket-Hilted Swords : A Typology of Basket-type sword Hilts" by Cyril Mazansky, but the price was more than I want to part with and I am not even sure if it would be covering what my question is about.

I am curious about a sword that belonged to my great grandfather, a dress sword, and too long for a Pirate anyway, but the hilt seems nice and I was wondering if I copied it, would it fit in to GAOP

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/li.../Swordhilt8.jpg

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

another view of my Great-Grandfather's sword hilt (by the way, it is supposed to be a sword made in Germany sometime in the late 1800's, but I am not sure if the style is specific to that time, or would work in an earlier period)

Swordhilt3.jpg

That is a great 19th century sword. Looks German. The way the handle curves may be 1880-1920

nive sword

Write to the folks at sword forum international. Post photos on that web site and you will have some info right away

Ed

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Ok, I already know that it is German, but thank you for confirming that.

What I am sort of looking for is not an identification of my Great Grandfathers sword, but rather where to find some kind of tutorial to sort out swords by their hilt design into different periods.

You stated 1880-1920 from the bend in the handle..... Where do I find this kind of information?

Looking at pictures of swords at the many sites selling swords I can't tell what makes one suitable for one period and not for another. Then on this forum it is mentioned time and time again, that historical accuracy is not something that is reliable from many of the vendors.

The Clamshell hilt design has been called 'period' but I don't really care for the clamshell design, even if my monicker is "littleneckhalfshell" (by the way, there is a very small, shell motief on my G.GF. Sword) I would like to 'make my own' but if I go to all that trouble, I would like it to be correct AND different from what the limited number of vendors provide.

I want to see some examples of what other kinds of hilts would have been present in GAOP. Is there some place I look?

Another great book for swords as recomended by may on this forum and others for late period swords is...

Swords and Blades of the American Revolution

Don't let the name of the book fool you (as it almost did me), the book covers swords from most western civilization from the late 17th century up until the early 19th century. It is littered with pics of period swords, including MANY that are correct for the GAoP that are not Clamshell Hangers.

Michael_banner.jpg

Swords and Blades of the American Revolution might be an even better bet if you are looking for sword hilts than Borders Away. Frankly, I have Borders Away, and I am a little disappointed that it focuses so heavily on post F & I weaponry.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum