Pirate footwear

HildeKitten

Apologies if this belongs in Plunder, I wasn't sure whether to post it here or there, but guessed here because this also has the "You in your garb" topic :)

Seeing footwear is such an important part of pirate costuming (be it accurate or fantasy) I figured it could be fun to post pictures of our footwear here :)

These are my old boots (who are now dead alas):

439906571_0973f78991.jpg

I believe the lady is simply wanting to see pictures of other pirates footwear, not debate the authenticity of them. So Rabble Rousing would be a perfectly acceptable place for this thread to reside I should think.

Let me find the best picture of my garb where my boots are visible....ah yes, here we go:

PICT0061edit.jpg

GageSig.png

Aye it belongs in plunder, but that be ok. Here try this link The Boot Debate

I know where the boots debate it, and thanks for the link, but this post is about the footwear we all wear with our kit.

Kind of like the "you and your garb" post, but then "you and your pirate footwear" :)

IMG_0027.jpg

Here are mine and the tales these boots could tell...Although I will admit, much to the chagrin of many here, I cannot say I have ever truly gone the Pirate route. Many liberties taken with this "kit"...I was at Faire, after all.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Wow Aurore Devareaux I love the boots, they look well worn which gives them an awesome look.

(ok, sorry I didn't know what you ment at first. Pictures of boots sounds like it can be fun, could we do buckled shoes as well?)

Wow Aurore Devareaux I love the boots, they look well worn which gives them an awesome look.

(ok, sorry I didn't know what you ment at first. Pictures of boots sounds like it can be fun, could we do buckled shoes as well?)

Well it's really all footwear we wear with our kit so of course shoes are fine too!

Go on, show us them shoes Silent :)

IMG_0027.jpg

I REALLY do not mean this in an offensive way (because I think your kit is quite cool) but you look Indiana Jones gone pirate (and that's not a bad thing!).

Those boots are pretty damn cool, where did you get them?

Everyone that isn't reenacting takes liberty with their kit I think, after all, it's called "fantasy" pirates :)

People that are doing non-historically accurate should just put their kit together in any way they like. As long as you can see the pirate in the pirate kit, it's all good.

I REALLY do not mean this in an offensive way (because I think your kit is quite cool) but you look Indiana Jones gone pirate (and that's not a bad thing!).

Those boots are pretty damn cool, where did you get them?

Everyone that isn't reenacting takes liberty with their kit I think, after all, it's called "fantasy" pirates :)

People that are doing non-historically accurate should just put their kit together in any way they like.  As long as you can see the pirate in the pirate kit, it's all good.

Offense?! Truly Mademoiselle Chaton.... :huh:

If you make note of the posting which accompanies the image in question, you will see that I clearly stated that this was at Faire. Further note of historical bearing would show that my Chapeau is actually correct in its shaping according to the old French way. (though the braiding is not.)

In the Living History arena, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw. And least I forget, Piracy is not the "Family Business"...We prefer to portray the grand tradition of "Owling"; Late Baroque / Early Roccoco, which places us in historically correct parameters to wear boots. :huh:

These boots I have had for many a year and are soon enough to be replaced by a pair tailored according to 17th Century riding boots.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Offense?! Truly Mademoiselle Chaton.... :D

If you make note of the posting which accompanies the image in question, you will see that I clearly stated that this was at Faire. Further note of historical bearing would show that my Chapeau is actually correct in its shaping according to the old French way. (though the braiding is not.)

In the Living History arena, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw. And least I forget, Piracy is not the "Family Business"...We prefer to portray the grand tradition of "Owling"; Late Baroque / Early Roccoco, which places us in historically correct parameters to wear boots. ;)

These boots I have had for many a year and are soon enough to be replaced by a pair tailored according to 17th Century riding boots.

I know you weren't reenacting, I was pretty much replying to what you said, that when you're not reenacting you can wear whatever you please.

while neither boots, nor buckle shoes, here are mine.

Before lacing with the big fat ribbons

Picture006.jpg

and you can see just a spot of them with the green ribbons in this photo

Picture011a-1.jpg

I also have a brand new pair of klompen that I don't yet have a photo of, but they are quite nice and dry on a wet morning (once you get use to walking in them)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

HildeKitten!

Thats one of the pairs I bought from CA Boots on clearance for $150. "Turner" is the style the call them. I dyed them dark brown. Very comfortable indeed.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

My Sarah Juniper shoes... brand new... got them at Fort Fred for half the going price!

shoes01.jpg

I am a fine shade of green at the moment.

I went to Fort Fred this year wanting to find one thing - gourds for canteens. After walking around for a couple hours I had struck out. However, I found the thing I was looking for last year - a new sword belt - but... I didn't want it. In looking around, the thing that caught my eye the most was a just about $300 powder flask that looked VERY much like a French flask. But... I didn't want to spend that kind of money on ANYthing. SO there I sat, when Scurvy Hanna comes up to me and says, "I just saw the most awesome pair of Sarah Juniper shoes... the guy is selling them for $200!" About two minutes later Lisa comes up and says, "I just saw the most amazing pair of..." And I said, "funny, Mark was just telling me about them. I guess I better so see 'em." I was hesitant. But I did need a new pair of shoes. I wrote the guy a check for $200. A little while later I found the gourds, 3 for $5! Bargain! I won't bother to tell you about the stuff Lisa found...

:lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I did seriously consider a custom pair from caboots, but with some help of Red Handed Jill I've decided to do what Jack did and customise musketeer boots. I just like the look of theirs better, even though caboots are mighty cool :)

I'll post pictures when I get them, they're on their way to me :)

EDIT: they actually arrived now, but I've taken them to the cobblers to have some adjustments done. My dad is picking them up next Friday (I'll be on holiday then) so hopefully I can have pictures taken first week of August :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got me a fine pair from a company called Black Knight.

Me thinks they were meant for the winter winds, but thar not

be much tread fer that. Fer pyracy they be just splendid! <_<

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Got any pics of your fugawee's Pat?

Which model did you go with? I'm looking at their site and its really hard to tell what shoes are what. I'm looking intowhat I can tell are the concords.

I've tried to get email GoF and I've PM'ed him here but I can't seem to get a hold of him. I don't know if he has any more.