Now for the Mantua...

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss Kate---

the link you give asks for as email and password-- thus i cannot look at your stays and mantua!!

{ sobbing outloud waaaaa!!}.....

do you mind trying again?

i would dearly love to see it!!

and a few questions for you... how was working with silk? i have found that working with natural materials is always far easier than man made ones.....

and Cheeky-- your ermine skirt thus far looks fabulous!!!! how was workiing with that fur?? LOL!! { my son costumes and the build up he leaves in the machine is awful { air compressor to the rescue!!}--- and here is tip for anyone working with fake fur-- DONT USE SCISSORS--- USE RAZOR!! to cut it!!!! much less fluff floating around in the air and sticking to everything around you for days.... using a razor leaves a clean edge, and doe snot cut away and leave pits in your fur.... and air brushing fabric leaves a fabulous result for stripes/ ermine spots/ dots { as in like cheetah}......... we have done that too, and have had fabulous results with it!! -- PLEAS EPLEASE PELASE SHOW YOUR WORK!! ESP MANTUA......

lady constance

Miss Kate---

the link you give asks for as email and password-- thus i cannot look at your stays and mantua!!

and a few questions for you... how was working with silk? i have found that working with natural materials is always far easier than man made ones.....

lady constance

Unfortunately, one needs to create a User ID and log into Living History Worldwide (it's basically a mySpace/Facebook style social network for re-enactors). I found this out last week when I tried to send a friend a link to something on there. Maybe the wife can post her pics here as well? I'll leave that up to her... Or if you feel up to it, either you or Silas could create an account on LHW in order to have a look.

Kate could better speak for herself here, but as I am online all day, and her only in the evenings... She seemed to really enjoy working with silk. Specially the silk thread. There was the initial oh my god what if I miscut this valuable fabric thing, but once you get past that, I think her words were "It's a dream"... Or something along those lines.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

wow...that is really pretty....i want one....i mean...how bout a matching mens cloak??.....damn...i got to start scavengin the roadways again...see what i can come up with..... :unsure:

LOL! <_<:lol:

If you come in wearing a 'Pole-Cat' Cloak...I'll just know I'll piss myself!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Miss Kate---

and Cheeky-- your ermine skirt thus far looks fabulous!!!! how was workiing with that fur?? LOL!! { my son costumes and the build up he leaves in the machine is awful { air compressor to the rescue!!}--- and here is tip for anyone working with fake fur-- DONT USE SCISSORS--- USE RAZOR!! to cut it!!!! much less fluff floating around in the air and sticking to everything around you for days.... using a razor leaves a clean edge, and doe snot cut away and leave pits in your fur.... and air brushing fabric leaves a fabulous result for stripes/ ermine spots/ dots { as in like cheetah}......... we have done that too, and have had fabulous results with it!! -- PLEAS EPLEASE PELASE SHOW YOUR WORK!! ESP MANTUA......

lady constance

Silk is a dream to work with. I love the thread, I love the fabric, I love it all. Love it love it.

I have a tip for real fur too...same as the fake fur, use a razor. I actually used a utility knife when I was doing alot of work with real fur (rabbit, fox, bear, beaver, etc) and it went much more easily. And I like those big curved upholstery needles for sewing fur.

Banner.jpg

and Cheeky-- your ermine skirt thus far looks fabulous!!! .... and air brushing fabric leaves a fabulous result for stripes/ ermine spots/ dots { as in like cheetah}......... we have done that too, and have had fabulous results with it!! -- PLEAS EPLEASE PELASE SHOW YOUR WORK!! ESP MANTUA......lady constance.

Thank you Lady Constance. Yes, a razor does work wonderfully and cuts down on the amount of fluff...but not completely. I have to say I never thought about an air brush for application of ermine tails/spots. I can just hear my HD shouting at me as I collect his air brush kit from his garage aka "man cave". If he knew that I was going to use it for my 'silly sewing project' he'd pitch a fit.

Kate said, "I actually used a utility knife when I was doing alot of work with real fur (rabbit, fox, bear, beaver, etc) and it went much more easily. And I like those big curved upholstery needles for sewing fur".

"Kate, when you sew with the big curved upholstery needle, what thread weight do you use?"

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Very lovely, Cheeky. :) Can't wait t' see it? Ye wearin' it to RF5?

~Lady B

Thank you Lady B. Yes, if I can get pass the sneezing...

I don't think Claritin will work, will it? Hate to have the image of ye sneezin' all over the place and all over the Captain during the Ball wearing that gown. :lol:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

delete

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ugh, what a repulsive thought.... must save my dances for Mistress Diamond...

Oh no you don't! Lilly says shaking a finger at the Captain. I am not spending all this time and energy on being beautiful ...only to be snubbed by you.

You're gonna dance with me....and like it, Sir!

Member of "The Forsaken"

:::Swiftly covers up mouth to muffle laugh::::

Cheeky, m'dear... maybe ye can dance with Mr Kazwick at RF5 in my place. :) Brit Officer... even recently portrayed Gen Washington for the Weather Channel serious When Weather Changed History (which will air for the first time this Sunday night). :) T'won't be a waste makin' th' gown if ye be wearin' it an' dancin' with a General!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

delete

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Update....

Here is the finished petticoat for my Blue Winter Mantua.

3206399911_8c9ffa2f98.jpg

For those of you who are wondering what it's like to work with faux fur...here are my two cents. ICK! I cannot imagine working with it all the time. It gets everywhere and it is best to use a good sharp needle and strong thread. To Master Patrick Hand...if you are out there...I applaud your skill working with this stuff!

But I digress..As you can see, I've cut the fur by scallopping the top edges as shown in the fashion plate, but I did make a few changes. First, I decided to go with silver accences instead of gold. Here is a close up of the trim and accent pieces.

3206399899_8c3bf674ca_o.jpg

Now...I must return to making my Mantua...

Say is that not one of the gowns we fought over at the Tavern?? :angry: :angry:

It's grand Cheeky! Cannot wait to see it all together and of course you wearing it as well. Truly a work of art!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

... by the way, I am getting married again.. someone Father has chosen...I think I shall remain faithful for a change.
John, I will believe it when it happens luv though I will support yu in your efforts. As to someone of your fathers chosing. We miust talk good friend. However, it seams that perhaps father may know best. Your choices thus far have been ...challanging.

delete

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Update:

Sorry that I haven't done this earlier, but I've been busy finsihing up a few things here at home and fighting a very bad stomach bug that has plagued me for about a week now. (Which oddly enough isn't as bad as last year's bought that landed me in the hospital)...not to mention trying to help and keep up with a few last items with RF5. If it isn't one thing...it's another!

Okay, Sorry about the quality of the photos. My camera and the room in which I'm working in doesn't have the best light. Here is the back pleating of the Mantua.

3224854258_d59eb9b579.jpg

Closer Look...you can see the direction of the pleats and that they are tacked down on top of the fabric.

3224854260_389b05dea2_o.jpg

Lastly...here is a shot of the Winter Blue Mantua. I did a quick stomacher, but I still need to finish the trim on the sleeves, trim off the front of the Mantua and along the bottom of the gown.

3224854262_771eec7e82.jpg

I am hoping that I will be able to finish this sometime tomor...I mean today. I'm off to bed.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Wow, that looks great Cheeky! I'm jealous of your mantua making skills. :lol:

Thank you Jack...but I can't take all the credit for it...I have to thank the Captain for drafting the pattern and talking me through some of those issues with the pleats and folds.

Member of "The Forsaken"

It's so lovely....

It just makes me want to rub my face all over the fuzzies... But I will contain myself.

Oh my, that sounds a bit inappropriate now doesn't it? *shrug*

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle