Now for the Mantua...

On Memorial Day afternoon...I went to the 'evil place' - JoAnn Fabrics. Not only did I go to the Brand New Mega Store they just finished in Appleton, WI ...but they were having a 50 percent sale ...AND an additional 10 percent off your total sale...plus if you had a military ID...it was another 10!

I broke out in a cold sweat and all I could hear was Christopher Lowell shouting my name from Home Decor...and look what I found in his row of fashion home decor fabrics! (Chick Scream)! Just $9.99! (Granted it is NOT Silk, but a blend of poly and something else)...

3570659526_c6b7d7a031.jpg

and this!

3570659532_ae93c19d6c.jpg

and Lastly...

My choice...(only if they had enough of it!)

3570659540_b1c33db60b.jpg

Look like a good start on the Dutch Mantua!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*wiggle* lovely. The price is fantastic... That's right up with my garage sale raid... =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Good job, Cheeky!

However, you're not the only one to score in the home decor section during JoAnn's 50% off fabric sale. I got the material for two weskits. Original price of the fabric was $6.99 a yard, so do the math. :D (Yes, I have a love/hate relationship with JoAnn's)

BTW, I love that Dutch mantua you're going to make. It's stunning. Keep us posted as you go along, so we can see how you put it together. Being the proud possessor of one of your other dresses, I'm sure it will look killer when you've finished it.

Oh, and I have all three Janet Arnold books, purchased "back in the day" for about $20 each. :D

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

LOL! Rumba...though the fabric is off about 200 years...I have found a better pattern to use...but still looking for the right colour scheme.

I have put the Dutch Mantua on hold for now until I can find the right stuff...though, I did purchase something for a Middle-Sort Mantua instead. The colours will be cream and gold.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Ooo... fabulous find, Cheeky. :) I likes th' red and gold one.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

After seening the gown pictured on the previous page hos does one say "I love it and my wife has a figure for it" after talking with my wife (she is in Thailand now waiting for her visa) having not mentioned the dress when I first mentioned PiP she loved the idea of having a dress like Elizabeth (POTC1) and has told me that her aunt (been sewing her life) would once again take up a needle and help sew.

Having seen a dress like this and knowing there may be a possibility of getting her in a dress like thins I have let the thought of an "american" wedding (we are legally married already) occur at PiP, of course then on say the final day we may have to portray pardoned pirates living off our spoils.

Everything is up in the air but I am thinking of sending some pictures/patterns to her in Thailand so any help would be apperciated.

id.jpg

Vintagesailor,

I think you have a slight misconception of what a mantua is. It's not just a "dress". Basically, it's a loose gown that goes over stays and a petticote. Both of which are a necessity to wear a mantua.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

..... after talking with my wife.....having not mentioned the dress when I first mentioned PiP she loved the idea of having a dress like Elizabeth (POTC1) and has told me that her aunt (been sewing her life) would once again take up a needle and help sew.

Vintagesailor,

The Elizabeth Swan gown (POTC1) you are referring to is a very lovely dress, but the date of it is off about 50 to 70 years from the Golden Age of Pyracy.

The green and pink "Dutch Mantua" that I posted on the afore mentioned page dates back to the late 1690s. The cut is completely different. There are several books mentioned here...such as the Janet Arnold book listed above - will give you a perfect period correct mantua you are looking for.

There are many here who can help you with questions and direction you on the right path if you want that 'perfect' attire for your lovely wife.

Just ask away, sir.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I know that completly, I just am trying to get her to understand that what she sees in pyrates is not correct GAOP. I feel that if given all the pictures and information available her family could make a dress that would be PC with my help but even more your help. I am portraying a portuguese sailor who has gained wealth and a wife in the east will you help US with PC garb for PiP. I can make a flintlock but a shirt is a bit harder

id.jpg

If Aunt knows her way around a needle and thread, then I highly recommend a trip to the library and getting a copy of Patterns of Fashion Book 1 by Janet Arnold or Cut of Women's Clothes by Waugh. Both have patterns for mantuas, which are both relatively easy to comprehend. Stays on the other hand are a bit more tricky, but as Haunting Lily mentioned, very necessary for the mantua. In which case perhaps Haunting Lily can help a bit more or I could recommend hunting down a copy of Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines as well to help in the stays department.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 5 months later...