Fireproofing canvas

Rumba Rue

I bought a 10x10 easy up and six very large painter's canvas drop cloths will consist of walls and a roof to cover it properly, so that it can look as 'period' as possible.

Does anyone in S. Calif. know where I can take the finished product to get it fireproofed?

He Rumba,

I'm not sure if anywhere would do that for you.... But your best bet would be to take it to a marine service place. They may treat sails, and by extension could treat your canvas tent.

I just have a feeling if you go looking for a tent treatment business you will wind up spinning your wheels and getting frustrated, but if you try and think of some other business that would treat canvas, you will have better luck.

I don't mean to split hairs, but you won't find anywhere that "fire proofs" canvas.... But there are treatments that make canvas "fire resistant"... Asking for the correct service might also help you in your search.

If you would consider doing the treatment yourself, and you are interested in a long winded tirade, let me know, and I can either message you or post here with all kinds of suggestions about treating canvas. It's something I have done a lot of research on recently.... Most of the methods I know are modern(ish) though. Patrick Hand posted something about a period method of treating canvas in another thread (I think the "Making Tentage..." thread in the PiP channel of this forum). if you want to look at that.

Best of luck to you on that!

Michael_banner.jpg

Fire resistant is what I meant....

At some events you have to show proof your tentage has been treated (so the fire marshals don't have a fit) with either a label from the manufacturer like Panther Primitives does or a paper documentation to show.

Thanks for the idea Michael.

I am not sure what may be required at any particular encampment, but I know that Boric Acid has been used for a 'homemade' fire proofing for natural cloth and wood or other fiber items. How well it stands up to being rained on, I do not know, but it does work as a flame retardant.

("Flame Retardants: boric acid inhibits the release of combustible gases from burning cellulosic

materials, such as cotton, wood, and paper-based products. Boric acid also releases chemically

bonded water to further reduce combustion. Futons, mattresses, upholstered furniture, insulation, and

gypsum board are common consumer items that use boric acid as a flame retardant. Plastics, textiles,

specialty coatings, and other industrial products also contain boric acid to strengthen their ability to

withstand exposure to flame")

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Alginic acid (also sometimes calle alginate, either way its a seaweed derivitivr) also works as a flame retardant and water proofing agent. Many non-latex special effects makeup molding compounds are made from 100% alginate.... Unfortunately, self treating with an alginate or boric acid will not work for RumbaRue's needs, or anyone else who needs their tent/tarp/canvas treated for insurance purposes... :lol:

That's a frustrating predicament, I really hope you find a business that can treat and certify your canvas for you RumbaRue

Michael_banner.jpg

My sail/tarp was only washed in HOT water to make it rain resistant.... it is not fire proof....

That was one of the proplems at the Northern California Pyrate Festival.... the fire marshal wanted to test "structures" for fire proofing....

Luckly that happened earlier on Friday...

All the seams on my sail/tarp are (hand) finished.... so there is no where to cut a chunk off it to "fire test " it....

If the Piro fire marshal wanted to burn part of my sail/tarp.... I'd tell him where to shick his matches....

So I would then have to take down my shelter..... I'd just wrap up in my linseed oil groundcloth.....

Did the fire marshal's union have some kinka convention wher the topic was all about burning tents?

Did some Renn Faire catch on fire someplace?