Full and By......With a Bone in Her Teeth..

Aye, that's right, me bucko's, three coasts in three summers doing the American Sailtraining Association's 'Tallship Challenges'.....To the best of our knowledge, We're the first and only,so...Tuesday morn, June 19th, ROYALISTE will loose the docklines in Beaufort, NC headin' for Halifax, Nova Scotia..Two weeks behind the rest of the fleet, but....Keep a weather eye,mates..the 'ole ship likes a following sea and a challenge!.. after a brief stop in Norfolk towards the end of the week, we'll head outside for a long run to New York City, then thru Long Island Sound and off to the Gulf of Maine.......We'll see who gets to the finish line first, 'cuz it says 'Halifax' on our transom, so that'll be the only thing the competition see's as we sail on by in the night!...Pirates rule the waves,eh?

:ph34r:

ROYALISTE Headin' Northward With the Guns Run Out.............

Best of luck. And, if they do try to out-sail ye, there be a good chance that they have no cannons. Thus, they'll have t' give ye a wide berth before they overtake yer beam!

Truely, though, best of luck. And, since I'm stuck in Juneau for the next three years (oh, what a shame...the prettiest view from my office you can ever ask for, except my last one on the bridge of a cutter in Sitka), feel free to drop by. I know it's not an easy trip, but believe me, I'd make sure it was fun.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Aye!...It were an adventure of a lifetime, indeed!...Sailin backwards down the East river isn't done often in a square-riggier, methinks....Parts should be here by the end of the week, with a wee bit o'luck, it'll be off again, Northward...The sail from Norfolk was grrreat, sailin' under a moonlit followin' sea....NYC on the horizon...Aye!

:unsure:

Have fun in Halifax (or 'slackers' as the old Navy nickname calls it)

A few libation at the 'Lower Deck' or a trip to the 'Liquor Dome' will make for an enjoyable evening

Some friends wanted me to make the trip for the tall ships. Just can't get away

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Royaliste,

I'm disappointed. I know your sailing abilities. Yet, you lament a faulty engine? As long as the wind didn't fail you, you should have had no excuse. However, good luck getting the girl back to rights. Fair Winds.

Coastie :rolleyes:

Hmm, as stated, we had a great sail from Norfolk, but....the truth of all matters is, that after three coast's full of Tallship events, including some with your 'signature', all parades of sail are done at 8 knots, under mandatory engine power. The port schedules are timed so close that hardly anyone can actually sail the the time inbetween events. Hate to ruin any exsisting myth fantasies,folks, but that's it. Lament?, heck, we can sail, but the engine cost is out of my arse. Pay for a ship shutdown on your paycheck this week. Personally, I'm a retiree, one check a month... And you and yours, Coastie, no longer use vessels such as Californian to do your work..Shcdules, schedules, schedules, eh wot??

:unsure:

Yes, I understand. 'Tis a damned shame, though, eh? I've seen some of the regulations for those parades. I believe it's usually "show as much sail as you can, but have your engine on immediate standby for maneuvering and keeping station". Best of luck on the repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Royaliste' pirates are having a time of it in Halifax, after a long and foggy trip from northern Maine..With a shortened crewe, she'll head for Port Hawkesbury, then out to Cape Breton......Prince Edward, Island, and New Brunswick....deep in the Maritimes....

Just saw an article that you were 'hiring crew' in Halifax. Out of curiosity, what's the tonnage of Royaliste? Looking to eventually get a sail endorsement to a master's license and was looking at different ships. I'd guess about 100 tons, but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

We're in Miramichi, NB lookin' for crew again,eh?...Headed towards the 'States now.....36 net, 45 gross tons....still keep 100 ton master's as captains and such...good place for seatime hours, both inland and offshore....

Royaliste2007B.JPG

Royaliste off Prince Edward Island, Canada

• 1 month later...

For those pirates in New York wot be wonderin', we're rigged in, southbound on the Hudson, and leavin' Haverstraw this morn early for New York Harbor and the ocean. Should pass thru' the Narrows sometime in the afternoon, dependin' on the tidal effect on the river.The New Jersey coast be first in line....Aye!

For those pirates in New York wot be wonderin', we're rigged in, southbound on the Hudson, and leavin' Haverstraw this morn early for New York Harbor and the ocean. Should pass thru' the Narrows sometime in the afternoon, dependin' on the tidal effect on the river.The New Jersey coast be first in line....Aye!

one who posts in the darkness of 4:36 am is a crew of serious business.

I'd be by the Tappan Zee bridge but won't see you, so I think I'll head for Hoboken at noon.

SHIP2-1.jpg

And Here You Are!  12:52pm minutes after making passage under the George Washington Bridge in NYC.  I wish I had 30 more minutes to kill so I could get the Royaliste under the Manhattan skyline.  Didn't have time to rush from work to get the telephoto, so I used my digital.  You know, you could ave "ran" with the all the sails up,the wind seemed like it was downriver.

ROYALISTE1.jpg

ROYALISTE2.jpg

ROYALISTE3.jpg

ROYALISTE4.jpg

ROYALSITE6.jpg

Making Passage...With a Bone in Her Teeth..

SHIP2-1.jpg