Pirate instruments?

Abrams

4 hours ago, Morgan Dreadlocke said:

A question of technique instead of instrument- Tis possible to play a violin in the manner of the pic? (limited wrist mobility)

viol da gamba (2).jpg

I imagine so. That looks very much like a Cello hold.... so I imagine it would be easier if you worked with an instructor that knows both cello and violin.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a Viola da Gamba. It's very much played like a Cello, and has more strings than a Violin, Viola, or Cello. Nice find! 😉👍🏴‍☠️

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Sorry for the double posting here but... I TRIED to play my viola and my niece's violin like a cello, and... well.... epic fail! Not so much the placement of fingers, but the string and bow movement and placement. If you had a shorter bow, it might work. The lower cord strings are tilted that makes it difficult to play. Possible with LOTS and LOTS of practice, I guess. Good luck! Otherwise, a Viola Da Gamba might be a lot of fun to play with the extra cords as a mini-cello. 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Runned across another european company makin' instrument kits. They's more of luthiers kits, still laser cut. In the $350-$400 range depending on the exchange rate. The gurdy looks nice, I could see playin' it without much blowback from the purists. The Nykleharpa seems ok to me untrained eye but CRIKEY its got a lot of finger pedals to fidget with. 

https://www.nerdygurdy.nl/

Edited by Morgan Dreadlocke
felony speedin'

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.