Pirate Sporrans??

• 2 weeks later...

depends on what yer goin for? B)

authentic.....not for pyrates nor for scottish durring anytime period ...except for modern or fantasy

plain simple....always a best bet...blends in better....pyrate symbols...always held in secret...remember they were wanted by auhorities....as for wearring with kilt?.....authentic would still have hair on...sheep,badger fox...with faces as lids....best...rough tanned...thick hard sturdy...like the people who wore them...best bet look at actual kilt shops for better ideas...

i have several sporrans....long haired sheep/badger/and plain leather....all may be worn with several outfits...and time periods...

as far as modern/casual dress with a kilt.....anything goes

as far as fantasy dress.....really anything goes....

so back to original question...depends what you are using it for...and what your tastes are.

but then again...if you are one of us blessed people who are able to wear a kilt...nobody looks at your sporran...just the turn of your legs and trying to figure out whats under the sporran!!! B)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

OMG, those are GREAT!!!

I WANT one!!! B)

(I already have one of his hats and they are without peer...) B)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Somehow, I missed the continuation of my question.

The style itself, with the PLAIN lid is actually rather "authentic" and similar in design to the one found described in the appendices of J. Charles Thompson's "So Your Gonna Wear the Kilt."

It is also the basic design used by a number of other kilt sporran makers of whom I am aware.

The PRICE ($65) for the basic is EXCELLENT!

The "look" is VERY similar to portraits from the late 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s.

"READ" the paintings, as Bob Martin likes to say.

For the kilts, ya'll may find 2 kilt forums I frequent to be interesting:

http://www.kiltsrock.com/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/

(I happen to be a mod on the former)

They are rather different on demeanor, with the first being SIGNIFICANTLY less politically correct (more like some of the threads on this forum).

It was on the second that someone posted pics of these sporrans and I thought, "Those look VERY familiar."

Now, to save some money for one, or a couple . . .

Kilts are NOT costumes, though some costumes call for them. IF you are creating a specific period, then you NEED to look at CONTEMPORARY depictions for styles.

Most "hair" sporrans come from a later period than the ones depicted above. Like I said, the PLAIN version is VERY "authentic" for what a typical 17th and 18th century highlander would have worn. The embosed flaps are fine for modern kilt wearing, whether using a modern kilt or a "traditional" tartan one.

REMEMBER: the EMBOSSED flaps are NOT "authentic," as in common for the time when kilts were commonly worn. Pirates wouldn't have put the skull and bones on them either.

My authority:

Kiltmaker ("4 yard" box-pleat kilts) and minor kilt/belted plaid/tartan-historian.

I am MUCH more proficient with kilts, tartans, Scottish history, and the like than with pirates and ships.

For your info:

When The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine wrote his book "The Kilt & How to Wear It" in 1901, he describes at LENGTH the RECENT excessivness of the 8 yard kilts and says he is a FAN of the NEW-FANGLED pleating of the kilt so the back pattern matches the front. SO, the 8-yard knife pleat to sett was NEW in 1901 (NOT centuries old). The OLD way of doing it was a 4 yard box pleat to stripe (and Erskine says as much in this book).

For GOOD kilt (and Scottish) history info:

http://albanach.org/index.htm

(Check out the articles and blog-> NOT my site, by a friends)

I rather like the sporrans and the way they combine my primary and secondary interests in a nicely made, elegant, and attractive simple manner.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Gabh mo leisgeul, tha mi duilich...

...i apologize...for i must of misunderstood your question...i thought you were looking for any response.

to save space in this thread...i will reply only that you make some interseting statements ... and i would like to discuss them with you at length...for on several of these points i am of a different mind...having come from different reffernces....as the highlanders , namely jacobyte clans,both early and later wit the return... were known for there fox tails off their bonnets as well as their badger faced pouches(sporrans)....being a practical lot...used everybit of hide to make useful items...as sporrans...some from a single piece of leather...to several bits sewn together...hide on or off...as dictated for use...or were ya talkin about the aristocrats/the wealthy...the scottish pretenders?....often clansmen being recognized by their acessaries of their garb...not by their tarten plaid(or fish coulored blanket)...and what was your experience while earliy cold mornings tending the livestock donning the plaid to keep warm...did ya take the time to pleat at all..box or knife....were ya still fashionable?...or were ya creative to stay warm?...the "kilt"...most practical piece of outterwear ever created...my authority?...we will save that for another thread.

but i am ALWAYS in agreement to suppport any and all who don the kilt and wear it with pride...sporran or no.

but i digress from the original question....

Tiaraidh an drasda....

Beag air Bheag, mo charaid, Beag air Bheag!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Ya gotta have a sporran....

it keeps yer kilt from going up at the wrong moment....... :unsure:

I have one made outta leather... but faced with sheep skin (yah.... lots of jokes bout that....)

Kilts are cool.....Aaargh.. gotta love those nice Summer breazes.......

But ... sorry... I just don't think any Scottish Pyrates would have worn one....other than when on land... (and maybe not even then...)

dang..too modern of a concept....

Of couse, this is me in my Carolina kilt (and a special made sporran)

DSC_4004.jpg

Let's say, I don't take it TOO seriously.

And more "normal" pictures:

DCP_1142.jpgmobmain.jpg

I DON"T mean the above sporrans as GAoP usage, BUT for modern "casual" wear (t-shirts to tweed and tie).

How about a great kilt and gold sporran? I think if I was gonna wear a kilt with my pyrate garb, i'd go for this little number. The gold sporran really makes this outfit look great! What do you guys think?

23175.jpg

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

For the sake of usage:

Liam_neeson1.jpg

(I know it is from the MOVIE "Rob Roy," BUT Peter MacDonald, one of the premier kilt historians was the one who came up with the costumes. As far as movies go, it is pretty good.)

Just to show what the relevant STYLE of sporran would look like in an period-appropriate dressed highlander.

Note also, It is HUNG from his BELT by a long strap, NOT a "sporran strap"!!!