Questions about POTC AWE

Jib

I enjoyed POTC 3 AWE but I had had some questions and concerns. Perhaps a few things were cut during the editing phase of production. I don't know. But maybe you do or at least have your own ideas...

When Jack sees/ speaks to the multiple Jacks is it an effect of the Locker or does he always this kind of crazy drama going on in his head?

Why the heck would Beckett want to kill the Kraken? He could destroy anyone with that beast!

Are the spirits in the water different from the spirits in the boats (Like Gov. Swan)?

If Beckett wanted Jack dead so badly why didn't he just kill him instead of locking him in the hold on the Dutchman? What was the past relationship between Jack and Beckett?

What was the past relationship between Tia Dalma and Jack? It appeared friendly...

I suppose I'll have more after I dwell on it for a few days...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope ye don't mind me jumpin' on to ask as well, but there were a couple parts where I wish the movie had had subtitles.

---Spoiler---

What did Tia Dalma/Calypso say after she was "released" and giant sized? I can barely understand her accent as it is, but her baritone giant voice was incomprehensible. Anyone know?

---Spoiler End---

Oh, and Jib, I have many of the same questions in my mind as you. However, I'd like to share my theory on Jack and Beckett's past relationship. Again, only my theory.

Obviously, Jack was branded by Beckett, that much is safe to assume I think. From what I've read of pirate history, branding was rare (usually on the cheek or forehead, but I suppose arm would suffice in a kinder gentler world), and only used in cases where a death sentence was lifted. The brand was to serve as evidence of the lifted sentence so that anyone arresting him the next time would hang him.

My guess is Beckett caught Jack, and for one reason or another his sentence was lifted and he was branded. My personal theory is that Jack did some egregious personal affront to Beckett and was caught, tried and the court branded him and sent him as a slave to Singapore rather than hang him. Jack escapes enslavement and goes a piratin' once more. This would also explain his, "Clearly you've never been to Singapore." line. It also fits in line with punishments of the day...

So go ahead and start poking holes into this theory until it looks like Beckett's ship at the end of AWE. B)

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

---Spoiler---

What did Tia Dalma/Calypso say after she was "released" and giant sized?  I can barely understand her accent as it is, but her baritone giant voice was incomprehensible.  Anyone know?

---Spoiler End---

It sounded like Maelstrom was mentioned, but other than that it wasn't clear.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Ah, a thread devoted to AWE imponderables. Let me pull my questions from the review thread (where I guess they shouldn't really be) and put them in here.

I'm sure this was explained somewhere in the second movie, but I must have forgotten it.

1. Why did Will killing Jones release all the imprisoned seamen?

I got the notion in AWE that Jones wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing (ferrying the dead - although he must have been since the dead were where they should be and more came in during the movie - albeit in their own boats). So the punishment for not following the, er, "rules" was apparently to grow sea-oriented appendages. But how does his behavior force the unwilling-to-die to be enslaved to the ship?

2. Did Jones saving them from death make them slaves to him and his ship?

3. If so, when they were released, why didn't they die since they were basically dead or soon-to-be dead before he "rescued" them?

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I have my own questions that still have yet to be answered:

How did they get to Singapore in the very beginning? Barbossa asks Sao Feng that they need a ship with a crew. So, how did they get there in the first place?

At the end when Wil and Elizabeth are together on the beach, is that Keira's real leg or a body double? It looked too healthy and meaty to be Keira's. Quite a few other people have wondered this as well since she's so darn skinny!

I guess Jack the monkey is still cursed, even tho we see him eating peanuts and shivering in the snow. What happened to the gold coin he took out?

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

That's a good point about shivering in the snow. I missed that one. It seems to me that a similar point was raised about some of the undead in CotBP, however. Something like Ragetti was upset because the bedwarmer was hot. It's one of those things where the movie rules take a back seat to comedy, methinks. (It's sort of bad form on the movie-makers part, really.)

I suspect Jack the monkey will always be cursed - as long as there's humor to be gleaned from it. The coin's probably sitting in the water at Isla de Muerta in sight of the chest. (Small, comedic animals are a Disney family tradition after all.)

"Am I not?"

The Kraken can't truly be controlled. Jones can summon it, but can't control it. And what Beckett can't control... he destroys. Generally another is he didn't want Jones to use the Kraken against him either.

as to Jack... I plead the 5th on that. But I think that's a part of his dementia.... and the Locker.

I remember understanding that Jack once worked for Beckett. Beckett wanted Jack to take slaves to the new world. Jack took them to the island where Tia Dalma was hence all the darker skinned folk in DMC. But Jack was found, captured and, sentenced so to speak. He was branded, I believe sentenced to hang after his ship the Wicked Wench was set fire and sank. Jack escaped and went to find his ship the Wicked Wench which is where be made the deal with Davy Jones to serve as Captain for 13 years then surrender his soul to Davy Jones for at least 100 years of service.

As to what exactly Jack did personally to Beckett?... hell, I think Jack made Beckett a eunich!

I'm guessing those in the water were killed by drowning or the sea itself while the ones in the boat were killed at sea on a ship or boat and didn't drown. Or perhaps they were just the pirate souls that were killed.

Those of the Flying Dutchman I'd imagine were bound to Jones so they didn't have to be ferried to the other side. Forestalling their Judgement. When Jones passed on and Will took over, I'd say that what Jones had established was ended. Starting all over and anew. Will obviously taking on the rightful duty that was at first entrusted to Jones which Jones abandoned - ferrying the souls of sailors to the afterlife or something else. I'd imagine those souls who were bound to the Dutchman then had a choice whether to continue to serve or to move on.

I'm a wee bit bewildered also about the monkey. Did it going to the Locker and back release the primate from the Curse? Cause eating a peanut and other things... doesn't seem like the wee furry critter was cursed any more.

And, I know of several folks unhappy about Jones. Is there something I can assure them about Jones?

Bess.. .you hinted to something. Did Jones go to join Calypso for eternity? Or did he go to the afterworld? Or is he in the Locker? What was his afterlife Fate?

Jones as mighty charming in appearance in human form. Tenticles or not, the loss of Davy Jones is very, very sad.

What was the dog with the keys name? I saw him bring up the keys to Teague.

And please tell me that Jack will NOT get the Black Pearl back.

I'd imagine that the Black Pearl when it was the Wench belonged to Barbossa and Jack won it from Barbossa previously... or perhaps... stole it/commandeered it?

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

guys, guys.... how about one question at a time? (I canna spend ALL my free time here ya know!)

Okay, "What did Calypso say before she went to pieces?"

She said..... nothing.

According to Terry and Susan nothing at all was scripted and the sounds were added for effect. What ever anyone thought they heard, they didn't.

Next? :D

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

My sister-in-law is vehement that Elizabeth and Will's son was the reincarnation of the boy hung at the beginning of the film. I say he was remarkably similar in appearance. Which, dear Iron Bess, is the truth?

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

My sister-in-law is vehement that Elizabeth and Will's son was the reincarnation of the boy hung at the beginning of the film. I say he was remarkably similar in appearance. Which, dear Iron Bess, is the truth?

Someone has too much time on their hands.

It's not the same boy. The original idea was to leave everyone wondering if it was Wills or Jacks... but they opted for the newlyweds day on the beach instead. (shrug)

Win some and ya lose some. :D

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

The Kraken can't truly be controlled. Jones can summon it, but can't control it. And what Beckett can't control... he destroys. Generally another is he didn't want Jones to use the Kraken against him either.

Well... yes it can.

Although this aspect was lost in the 2nd film, the Kraken was truely a *pet* to Jones.

He was forced to kill it for no other reason then to see how much control the EITC really had over him. If he did as he was told they knew they had him. Had he refused (And no, Becket was no where on the Seas during this little experiment) Jones would have died and a few ships would have been lost to his *Pet* and really not much else.

Savvy? ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

1. Why did Will killing Jones release all the imprisoned seamen?

As Jones was cursed, so was his ship and it's crew.

When he died, the evil intent that corrupted him and his ship dies with him.Tthose serving him were released from their own promise to serve under that evil and they are returned to the Souls they died with. (No one is taken that is not *dying* so you sign on your as good as dead anyway)

The Dutchman was MUCH older then this ships Master and was not always so bereft of beauty. She was once a stunning ship.

So..... thats why. ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

When Jack sees/ speaks to the multiple Jacks is it an effect of the Locker or does he always this kind of crazy drama going on in his head?

No.

THat is part of jack's personal "Hell". That is opart of being in Davy Jones Locker.

All the Jacks are aspects of his own personality and he was *killing* off the parts he suspected *got him into this in the first place*.

I THINK.... it should have ended there and not been seen again in the film but.... they were using it to show Jacks fear of going BACK to the locker. ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

No.

THat is part of jack's personal "Hell". That is opart of being in Davy Jones Locker.

All the Jacks are aspects of his own personality and he was *killing* off the parts he suspected *got him into this in the first place*.

I THINK.... it should have ended there and not been seen again in the film but.... they were using it to show Jacks fear of going BACK to the locker. ;)

Yeah, I agree, it only worked for the Locker scene to show how nutty he was with the mutliple Jacks. After that it just made the character look more and more nutty. It was over-done that they continued with that, but oh, well, it's making more people Barbossa fans so I'm all for that, lol!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Actually, I really liked that part of the film. But then I'm a fan of goofy WB cartoons like Bugs Bunny and the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (which featured killable dopplegangers, unlike the Disney film). I hadn't even begun to assume that there was a serious aspect to Jack's killing off select selves...that's not near as much fun. ;) Barbossa was especially good in this film, but he's no Jack. And Jack better damn well take the Pearl back (and lose it again) if there's a fourth film. That's half the fun!

"Am I not?"

Actually, I really liked that part of the film. But then I'm a fan of goofy WB cartoons like Bugs Bunny and the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (which featured killable dopplegangers, unlike the Disney film). I hadn't even begun to assume that there was a serious aspect to Jack's killing off select selves...that's not near as much fun.  ;) Barbossa was especially good in this film, but he's no Jack. And Jack better damn well take the Pearl back (and lose it again) if there's a fourth film. That's half the fun!

I like the WB cartoons as well, grew up on that stuff as a kid. I just felt the Jack stuff was getting way over-done. Jack was the best in the 1st movie. Clever, but funny as well, a good balance.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I think I maybe able to explain the monkey. Remember the pirates said they could eat but it turned to ash in their mouths? Maybe that monkey just doesn't care. Monkeys eat poop for goodness sake! And I did get the feeling that they (undead pirates) can feel pain (perhaps dulled by the state of undeath) so that would explain the shivering.

And I did get the feeling that they (undead pirates) can feel pain (perhaps dulled by the state of undeath) so that would explain the shivering.

I dunno...they're kind of explicit on this point.

"I feel nothing. Not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea. Nor the warmth of a woman's flesh." -Barbossa

"Am I not?"

And I did get the feeling that they (undead pirates) can feel pain (perhaps dulled by the state of undeath) so that would explain the shivering.

I dunno...they're kind of explicit on this point.

"I feel nothing. Not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea. Nor the warmth of a woman's flesh." -Barbossa

But yet he said the dress was still warm when Elizabeth took her dress off and gave it back to him in the first movie. I thnk they just forgot the rules of the curse as the story moved along.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg