Sword Carriage

Heres my question:

If, as we know, pirates of the GAOP went virtually everywhere armed to the teeth, how would a cutlass be carried on shore ? I'm assuming that at the very least, in places like Port Royal they would stay armed, and its clear by many accounts that any time they went ashore while actually out sailing, as for fresh water, provisions, etc, as well as raiding, they carried arms, HOW then were swords carried? Especially for the common crewman..... Thrust into a belt, scabbardless? On a belt via frog, with scabbard? On a baldric, and if so, what type? I've seen a few pics but I'm having a hard time coming to a conclusion.... Thoughts, one and all?

BDC

If I had to venture an educated guess on this matter, I would say that any of the methods previously mentioned could have been employed, even at the same time, although perhaps some might have been used to a lesser degree, depending on what the time period was. :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)