AWE, opinions please :) - SPOILERS ALERT!!

HildeKitten

I finally saw PotC: AWE at the late show this previous Monday (a holiday, up here).

I quite enjoyed the movie, especially the art direction. However, I would have preferred a tighter narrative structure, as the plot was fairly messy. [Perhaps the longer cut that Iron Bess mentioned was more coherent. Let's hope that longer version makes it to DVD.]

And where the hell was my bad-boy Norrington? They made him a poncy Admiral and then ... poof, he was gone!

The thing I liked least about the movie was Jack in Davy Jones' locker. Visually, and in terms of style, it really seemed to jar with the rest of the film. To my mind, that scene just didn't suit a pirate adventure movie.

As Mr. H. so astutely said last night while we were grocery shopping and he picked up a bag of key limes:

"Now these say "piracy" to me. Salt flats and surrealism ... not so much."

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt that Jack Davenport's role was cut way too short as well but I guess the film had to have a few deletions here and there.

I truly missed the scruffington of DMC and I thought perhaps that the story would include more of bad boy James, rather than the clean cut Admiral.

I did enjoy the Salt Flats scene with Jack. It was fun to be inside Jack's mind!

kttcsignature.jpg

I saw AWE the day after it came out, and I really enjoyed it, as did my mom. We went and saw it again after we realised we forgot the hidden scene at the end. =p

But yes, I agree with what others have said about the plot being a little messy, I think maybe if they'd lenthened it, and maybe made part of it into a fourth, then they'd have had more time to make more sense. Weren't they running a bit behind schedule during production?

I'm also hoping that an extended cut is released to DVD.

I very much enjoyed the Locker scenes :) The stone crabs were fantastic, and the detail that went into them is just insane. Like when the little dudes get the Black Pearl back into sea, and some of them fly out in the spray of the waves -- there are lots of people who wouldn't have thought to add that little snippet.

At first when I thought Elisabeth Swann WAS going to be the embodiment of Calypso, i was a little annoyed just cause that's ALWAYS how it goes. The pretty rich girl ends up being a goddess =p

I thought Naomi Harris was playing a slightly different Tia Dalma in AWE vs. DMC, but she was still awesome =p whoo hoo for voodoo 'n such.

Aaaaaanyway, I dunno, I was still sad to see Davy Jones die, even though he is technically a villain. He's an "understandable villain." I also didn't really like Will replacing him, just cause Will always seems so... "blah." I dunno, he's the uber-hero =p But really I think it bothered me more because I was just sad that he ended up being stuck in that position. He FINALLY marries Elisabeth and now he can only go on land once every 10 years =p The little scene at the very end makes up for it a little though, of course the next time he sees his kid, he wont be a kid anymore, which is, again, really sad. =p

But yeah, all in all, I liked it quite a bit, and now I'm waaaaaiting for it to come out on DVD!

61jctci.jpg

Saw it...sort of what I expected.

1. I was able to not be bothered by noise around me as the movie theatre was nearly empty.

2. The opening was good....thought well maybe ...but, unfortunately it was as expected.

3. Jack's character (the one everyone wanted to be after the first) was lame and so, IMHO, people are losing interest in the films. In the first film Jack was a sly fox that got out of everything with people being loyal him. A good pirate and a good man sort of thing. In the second he was shown as a bad pirate, and in the third he is given as not only a bad pirate, but alsoa looney and somewhat cowardly that can't hold onto a crew. So why would anyone want to associate with that?

4. Elizabeth really had the only character that grew in the film, but, not really believable.

5. I was looking forward to Norrington's character being expanded and was majorly disappointed. He went from a scallywag back to pomious, from cad to a unable to understand what was happening about him. Yeah right.

6. Action sequences were good but, too much of them. I would like to have seen more character development.

7. last scene after the credits brought a hero type back to the film...good. In regard to Will and Elizabeth not coming back????

Or could it be... that they were not invited back for a 4th.....

Gotta save face you know.

I believe the same person swore up and down that Richards WAS NOT going to be in the 3rd film so, I take the above statement with a grain of salt.

8. Richards and Jack's interaction was good more would have been nice.

In regard to the possibility of a fourth...why? The idea of Jack being back ...shrug. His character has spiraled down from a the first film.

Yeah, I know those of you connected with the film will yelp up and down I don't know what I am talking about, but, I stated that after the second one the response for the third would be down. Yeah it made money but not the expected reaction (I assume) after all hooplaw that was made with the second. People were disappointed and the disappointment in many ways grew with this one. Even the MANY multiple runs of the 1st film on TV could not gender the audience to respond.

Oh well such is life... a good series of films with a continuous character development and series development ...Potter films...Star Wars...perhaps someone in the development of PotC should have paid attention to the way a series can be brought along.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Or could it be... that they were not invited back for a 4th.....

Gotta save face you know.

I believe the same person swore up and down that Richards WAS NOT going to be in the 3rd film so, I take the above statement with a grain of salt.

(chuckle) Oh yeah... That's right... I said that just to spite you. You are so important that I spend most waking hours thinking of ways to lead you astray. :huh: Get over yer'self .

Take it as you like m'dear... salt with margarita would be grand.

Taking the time to read back, you'll see those protestations were posted when at the time he had; signed no contracts, was not on program to be in the film, was not on any studio list as involved with the project and as I stated.... things change. (shrug) Worthy of a slap down by you to be sure.

Posting negative opinion is one thing. Postings to make snipes , rude, personal innuendo and comments is another and proves the worth of the post itself.

Not much.

But if it makes you happy... I'll weep :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I very much enjoyed the Locker scenes :) The stone crabs were fantastic

Me too. But then I always like a little surrealism. http://www.markck.com/images/amazeing/artw...theamazeing.htm

At first when I thought Elisabeth Swann WAS going to be the embodiment of Calypso, i was a little annoyed just cause that's ALWAYS how it goes. The pretty rich girl ends up being a goddess =p

I was annoyed because it didn't make any sense as I mentioned somewhere around here. Fortunately, it was just a ruse. Then it was very mysterious as to who Calypso might be. (What?! Leia is Luke's sister? I mean, I knew it had to be someone but...Leia?! How? :lol: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I am so tired of people praising the Harry Potter movies as achievements rather than failures. Pirates was loads better than anyone of them. Potter could learn a thing or two from Jack. And as for the public reception of Potc3, yes a lot of people thought the movie was a little fast paced and confusing, I didn't find that to be true at all. In fact, it inspired me to see it a second time in order to more fully appreciate all that was going on. I believe it was a very well made movie and Bruckheimer is a genius. PS: Jack kicks ass.

I am so tired of people praising the Harry Potter movies as achievements rather than failures. Pirates was loads better than anyone of them. Potter could learn a thing or two from Jack. And as for the public reception of Potc3, yes a lot of people thought the movie was a little fast paced and confusing, I didn't find that to be true at all. In fact, it inspired me to see it a second time in order to more fully appreciate all that was going on. I believe it was a very well made movie and Bruckheimer is a genius. PS: Jack kicks ass.

The Harry Potter books are a very good read but I am not interested in the movies.

As for AWE, it's number 5 on the all time movie list, well, that's according to Marty. LOL

And I just saw AWE for the 13th time. Yeah, it's still playing and I will continue to see it as long as it's in the theater.

Jack does kick arse! I agree

kttcsignature.jpg

Got to see it two days ago.

Tried to read the reviews here but ...just too much.

SPOILER

Found it VERY entertaining. The introduction scene was a mixed bag. I liked the concept and the cinematography and "getting to know" jack a bit. Liked that it marked a change in his perspective but it was a bit drawn out.

Find it humorous that they ignored all the reality of black powder for most of the movie save for one scene which I snickered through the entire time. The person I was with didn't get it until the end.

Liked the fact that I recognized props that I would have never recognized in the past like the different kinds of fire arms.

Nice of Dad to stay on and help crew the ship

Wouldn't mind another with Will and child, that could be fun. Now, was that child a William or a Willamina? :lol:

I just finished watchin' "Dead man's Chest" (welll again)..... Dang rippin' good fun story..... awh heck.... alla them are.......

"At Worlds End" is still my favorite of all three.....

"The curse of the Black Pearl" was fun... Gotta love th' introduction ter eveyone.....

"At Worlds End" was kinda th' bridge ...(but Barbossa comin' back was fun)

But I still like AWE th' best....

Wonder when it's comin' out on DVD ?

Well... I know that *according to the above* I am unqualified to speak on such things... :P but they've been working on some fun stuff for the DVD's.

No, I canna say what they are specifically (the stealth poster should like that) but it's going to be much better then the offerings on the second DVD set.

Now back to my regularly scheduled stupidity. :P

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well... I know that *according to the above* I am unqualified to speak on such things... :rolleyes: but they've been working on some fun stiff for the DVD's.

A fun stiff ?

Hmmmmm, have you swiped one of those skeletons for your office? :huh:

... but they've been working on some fun stiff for the DVD's.

Just leave it alone, Jack. Walk away from the keyboard...

Just for you Mad Jack....

Just for you (Smooches) :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD for AWE already.

Stealthy poster? I won't ask. :lol:

Don't wait too long, laughingcrowe... the film is filtering out of the theaters to make room for new releases. Already AWE is not at anything here. Hopefully it'll make it to the cheap theater soon.

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Mad_Jack, I just noticed th' line in yer signature.....

"I do treat my body like a temple. Temples get desecrated every day. Why should I be any different?" ~ Mad Jack Wolfe, somewhere off Cozumel, 2007

Kinda like the Jimmy Buffet line....

"I treat my body like a temple, you treat yours like a tent...."

OK.... back to AWE opinions........... :lol: